cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL 703GS - DS74 ROG - Fan, Heating and Charging Queries

subhomoymukherj
Level 8
Hey Folks,

I am new to this forum and got my ROG GL703GS last week. Just had a couple of queries after using it for a week.

System Spec:
ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GS-DS74 GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Intel Core i7-8750H, 144Hz 3ms display, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SSHD, Windows 10
Updated all softwares and windows.

Queries:
1. The fan is usually pretty loud. sometimes its quiet but normally the fan speed is high and loud. With gaming i can understand but normal browsing and watching online videos, not sure. Fan Overboost - Default - Balanced - Is this normal?

2. Temperature: Normal Browsing, online videos
- CPU: 40-48C Memory bar is normally blue
- GPU: 40-45C Memory bar is normally blue
Gaming: Assassins Creed Syndicate (Fan too loud)
- CPU: 70s
- GPU: 70s
Is this normal?

3. Adapter Plugged in but shows Discharging - Have ASUS Battery Health enabled - 60% Battery settings selected - Is this discharging normal? Never seen it in my old laptop, though it is a bit too old.

Maybe the questions are a bit on the amateur side but this is my first experience with a high-end laptop. Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Best Regards
5,110 Views
6 REPLIES 6

tap002
Level 9
subhomoymukherjee wrote:
Hey Folks,

I am new to this forum and got my ROG GL703GS last week. Just had a couple of queries after using it for a week.

System Spec:
ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GS-DS74 GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Intel Core i7-8750H, 144Hz 3ms display, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SSHD, Windows 10
Updated all softwares and windows.

Queries:
1. The fan is usually pretty loud. sometimes its quiet but normally the fan speed is high and loud. With gaming i can understand but normal browsing and watching online videos, not sure. Fan Overboost - Default - Balanced - Is this normal?

2. Temperature: Normal Browsing, online videos
- CPU: 40-48C Memory bar is normally blue
- GPU: 40-45C Memory bar is normally blue
Gaming: Assassins Creed Syndicate (Fan too loud)
- CPU: 70s
- GPU: 70s
Is this normal?

3. Adapter Plugged in but shows Discharging - Have ASUS Battery Health enabled - 60% Battery settings selected - Is this discharging normal? Never seen it in my old laptop, though it is a bit too old.

Maybe the questions are a bit on the amateur side but this is my first experience with a high-end laptop. Any help and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Best Regards


Fans on balanced shouldn't be running all the time while browsing. On overboost they are noticeable especially while gaming. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100177-Gl703vm-fan-problems)
Your tempatures are excellent, these laptops are known to run hot. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...)
There are posts about battery drain while gaming, some say purchasing a higher wattage ac adapter solves the problem. Your battery should not be discharging while sitting idle. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103965-ROG-Strix-GL703GS-E5011T-draining-battery-while-on-...)
I've provided example posts there are others. Maybe uninstall battery health app and run pc for a couple of days?

Hi. I've got exactly the same laptop, with battery health enabled and set on 60%.
It is completely normal for battery discharging when is over 60% of charge .
The worst thing for your battery is when you are using your laptop ALWAYS connected to the power brick and you are keeping your battery no 100% of charge all the time .

SlainE wrote:
Hi. I've got exactly the same laptop, with battery health enabled and set on 60%.
It is completely normal for battery discharging when is over 60% of charge .
The worst thing for your battery is when you are using your laptop ALWAYS connected to the power brick and you are keeping your battery no 100% of charge all the time .


Hey, Thanks for your reply. How's your experience with the laptop so far? What about gaming temps? Does it become too hot above the top middle side of the keyboard?

How are the fans working for you? Is it similar to what I have described in the above post and comments?
Thanks for the advice on the battery. I will not always plug in then but glad to know that "Plugged In, Discharging" is normal and there is nothing to worry about 🙂

Regards.

tap002 wrote:
Fans on balanced shouldn't be running all the time while browsing. On overboost they are noticeable especially while gaming. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100177-Gl703vm-fan-problems)
Your tempatures are excellent, these laptops are known to run hot. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...)
There are posts about battery drain while gaming, some say purchasing a higher wattage ac adapter solves the problem. Your battery should not be discharging while sitting idle. (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103965-ROG-Strix-GL703GS-E5011T-draining-battery-while-on-...)
I've provided example posts there are others. Maybe uninstall battery health app and run pc for a couple of days?


Hey, Thanks for your reply.
The fans on balanced are sometime throttling up and coming down to normal. Also, there is some humming sound, but i am not sure if that is normal i.e. its the sound that the laptop is running? Maybe?
Yesterday I ran the windows malicious software removal tool (just in case to check the system), the fans went pretty loud and the temp in the gaming center showed in 90s for seconds and fluctuating - Is this normal? This is for CPU Temp, the GPU temp remained at 40s.
I will try to check the battery without the health app - Thanks for the advice and the referred posts.

subhomoymukherjee wrote:
Hey, Thanks for your reply.
The fans on balanced are sometime throttling up and coming down to normal. Also, there is some humming sound, but i am not sure if that is normal i.e. its the sound that the laptop is running? Maybe?
Yesterday I ran the windows malicious software removal tool (just in case to check the system), the fans went pretty loud and the temp in the gaming center showed in 90s for seconds and fluctuating - Is this normal? This is for CPU Temp, the GPU temp remained at 40s.
I will try to check the battery without the health app - Thanks for the advice and the referred posts.


Microsoft malicious software removal tool will run your CPU at 100% and temps of 90c are common. (as you can see by the post I referred) Humming is probably coil whine. Your experience sounds completely normal for these laptops. Without the battery saver app make sure sitting idle it doesn't say battery discharging, then reinstall the app.

tap002 wrote:
Microsoft malicious software removal tool will run your CPU at 100% and temps of 90c are common. (as you can see by the post I referred) Humming is probably coil whine. Your experience sounds completely normal for these laptops. Without the battery saver app make sure sitting idle it doesn't say battery discharging, then reinstall the app.


Good to know that these are normal.
Will check the battery and get back. Though I found some post which says that these discharging is normal as it tries to save the health of the battery. So not sure what's ASUS is up to.