cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx - No Video when playing Blu-Ray movie disks

azin
Level 7
Hi,

I recently bought my first laptop - a G74Sx. Am having a weird problem. I am trying to play Blu-Ray movie disks but all I get is the audio -- No Video. There is only a black screen while I can hear the audio playing. I have tried two different Blu-Ray movie disks with the same result. I can open the disks in explorer and see the files and folders on them. I was able to play a DVD movie disk, and movie files on my computer without any problem.

I updated the Cineplayer, which came factory installed, to version 5.8.A06, but no luck.

Any guidance on what should I do?

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

xeromist
Not sure, perhaps it's a region issue? Do you know for sure that your movies are unlocked?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

houndazs
Level 9
azin wrote:
Hi,

I recently bought my first laptop - a G74Sx. Am having a weird problem. I am trying to play Blu-Ray movie disks but all I get is the audio -- No Video. There is only a black screen while I can hear the audio playing. I have tried two different Blu-Ray movie disks with the same result. I can open the disks in explorer and see the files and folders on them. I was able to play a DVD movie disk, and movie files on my computer without any problem.

I updated the Cineplayer, which came factory installed, to version 5.8.A06, but no luck.

Any guidance on what should I do?

Thanks.

Try downloading VLC Media Player. This will help to diagnose if it is a hardware or software problem.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

DEFTSTAR
Level 7
what i heard so far that maybe blu ray is now block from viewing on a laptop or a pc, causes people to make a copy of it. that is what i heard so far.
let me know if im wrong.
G74SX-BBK9
CORE i7 2630QM 2GHZ
ZERO GIG RAM
GEFORCE GTX 560M

Blu-Rays can be viewed on laptops - whoever gave you that information is dead wrong. The problem is with Asus' bundled Roxio Cineplayer software. Replace it with other media center software (I personally used PowerDVD) and it will work fine.

CypherDragon wrote:
Blu-Rays can be viewed on laptops - whoever gave you that information is dead wrong. The problem is with Asus' bundled Roxio Cineplayer software. Replace it with other media center software (I personally used PowerDVD) and it will work fine.

You're correct on the Blu-Ray movies. However, the bundled Roxio CinePlayer can still be useful.
I'm currently using it for Blu-Ray and 3D viewing. Though I might say buying the Power DVD would
be better because it has the download capability if you want to save a Blu-Ray copy on the hard disk, plus more.
(I've tried the trial version.)

@azin: Have you tried checking the Region Control for compatibility like what xeromist said?
Or you can try to do a re-install of the CinePlayer, and see if something good comes out..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
You're correct on the Blu-Ray movies. However, the bundled Roxio CinePlayer can still be useful.
I'm currently using it for Blu-Ray and 3D viewing. Though I might say buying the Power DVD would
be better because it has the download capability if you want to save a Blu-Ray copy on the hard disk, plus more.
(I've tried the trial version.)

Out of curiosity, how old are the Blu-Rays that you have been able to play with CinePlayer? I never got it to work correctly with any of the Blu-Rays I tried, but they were mostly rental-classified and the retail ones are brand-new (released in the last ~3 months)...I don't have any retails older than that to try with. I believe the problem with CinePlayer is the Blu-Ray decryption keys not being updated, but I'm personally biased against Roxio software so didn't troubleshoot any further than "latest update isn't working, try different software." PowerDVD has worked with all the Blu-Rays I've thrown at it thus far...

I hadn't yet set the region so that wasn't the issue.

I did try reinstalling the graphics driver -- that didn't work.

I had contacted Asus for the problem. They suggested a BIOS flash -- didn't want to risk that.

I did suspect it to be a software issue. Downloaded and tried out the trial version of CyberLink PowerDVD 12 -- it ran the Blu-Ray movie disks just fine.

The problem must be with Roxio CinePlayer.

Now, considering that the trial version of PowerDVD will run out in a month, I'll most probably have to buy it. But it seems quite unfair as the laptop I paid for is supposed to run Blu-Ray movie disks. I shouldn't have to pay more. Asus should be supplying a decent playback software in the first place.

Thanks for your replies.

azin wrote:
I hadn't yet set the region so that wasn't the issue...

Maybe you should give it a try first?.. Open CinePlayer > Settings > Region Control
Set Region Control according to your location:

Region code Area
A= Includes most North, Central and South American and SE Asian countries plus Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.
B= Includes most European countries, African and Southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
C= Includes the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

ColonelS
Level 9
Try using power DVD and see if it works?
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page