cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx CD/DVD Drive Malfunction, Windows doesn't Recognize

Carvs
Level 7
Hey everyone,

Yet another problem with my G74sx, seems like it's getting worse and worse. My CD/DVD Drive does not appear in Windows Explorer. It will not read any CD or DVD that is inserted into the tray.

I have tried:

BIOS Upgrade (v. 203)

BIOS Enable / Disable

Uninstalled the driver to have Windows re-install it in device manager

Tried to find ASUS drivers

Countless Reboots

Checked Hardware

I honestly don't know what else to do , or where else to go to. All I want to do is play GTA: IV for christ sake. Any input on this problem would be greatly appreciated, as my brother lost my external CD/DVD Drive. Thank you all!
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you try the Upper Filters/Lower Filters registry edit?

Cleaning the laser lenses?

Removing and reseating the drive in the laptop?

@black-bean's front plate removal and cleaning fix ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA&p=104329... )?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Did you try the Upper Filters/Lower Filters registry edit?

Cleaning the laser lenses?

Removing and reseating the drive in the laptop?

@black-bean's front plate removal and cleaning fix ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA&p=104329... )?

I have the same issue! I've cleaned the lens and removed rear cover from drive and cleaned out the dust - minimal, and followed the threads about finding the htkey, control set, class. However, mine didn't show any filters in the side menu! I DID see them in some other place when I clicked on properties but couldn't make any change there. I went back through the above and the filters still don't show. Would you send the pathway on how you found the filters?

I haven't tried removing the drive but I believe it's not too hard, once I remove the hard drives there should be a single screw...correct?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
Dave

Here is the Microsoft article on how its done. I haven't seen the issue come up in windows 8 or 10 and seldom in 7
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Carvs
Level 7
Could you go into a little more detail with the upper filters / lower filters reg edit?

I'll try the rest now

EDIT: I searched the upper and lower filters removal, this solved my problem.

Thank you again for a solution to my problem 😄

dstrakele
Level 14
Glad to hear it! You can go back to forgiving your brother for losing your external DVD drive now... ;>{)>
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi, after reading all the forums and fixes nothing worked. Removed drive, cleaned, deleted registry keys and upgraded the firmware.

Found the asus downlaods here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336&os=30&hashedid=LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7

and under Utilities I downloaded and installed:

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

KB Filter Driver

and my drive works flawlessly now. Not sure which one you need or if you need both but I hope this helps

Please let me know if it worked for you too.

Pitcher1
Level 9
when do you discover your CD/DVD can not be recognize? if you do all test for SW, it is not help, i think you will be checking HW.