cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73Sw overheating issue on top right corner

dalaran12
Level 7
Hi,

Im not tech savvy. And recently my top right corner of my G73sw has been heating like CRAZY. Like its really hot, and hurts my finger when placed at the vents when playing games like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. It has always been fine for the past months, but 2 days ago, it has been really hot and has hampered my gaming experience with lag and artifaces. Any advise would be helpful. The change was very sudden and I did not do anything in between gaming sessions in exception of more gaming.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Liquidus
Level 8
Try getting a can of compressed air, and blowing it into the vents. Looks like there could be some dust build up, and that needs to be cleaned out.

How long have you had your G73sw? If you've had it for a year plus.. then blowing it with compressed air isn't going to help, mainly because there are probably already several layers of dust build up on the heatsinks. I'd suggest that you take it a part and clean out the inside of the chassis and fan for dust.
If it is all of a sudden getting very hot, that is a sign that the thermal compound has just dried up.. it is the paste that goes is squeezed between the processor/graphics card and the heatsink.

If you do plan to do a repaste on the thermal compound, you can get some for $10+, get 3rd part thermal compound such as Arctic Silver.
For applying it, the easiest way to do it is to squeeze a rice sized drop on the center of the processor (and gpu), and allow the evenly pressured push of the heatsink onto the component make the compound spread to all corners of the chip. (whipe off excess).

Hope this helps,
G.I. JOE out.

Thanks for the advise.

I opened up my G73sw, and the dust buildup looked pretty okay. I might look into the heat sink issue. Is it viable for me to do it myself or is it better to get a tech to do the pasting for me? I have 0 experience with laptop technicals.

What vid card driver you running? I had the same issue playing graphically heavy games like Dirt3. During play, my right exhaust vent would put out crazy heat. I updated my ATI driver and the problem went away.