cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g73jh bsod

Mess
Level 7
Hi I have been getting bsod while playing bf3 lately. I have recently reinstalled new cat software and it went way for about 4 days. Now its back. here is some of the info i get.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/18/2012 2:02:53 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Bryan-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
Bryan-PC

0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false

20 REPLIES 20

dstrakele
Level 14
If your BSOD issue is recent, your first troubleshooting step is to use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a date before you first experienced the BSOD.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

sry also forgot to mention that when it doesnt fully crash and i get i back to windows the screen seems to mess up. pixels seem to be showing up then go away. not sure if that will help. also i messed up and never created a restore point. so to reinstall windows would be a problem since i live in the boonies and to download bf3 and other games would take me about 4 months of my limeted traffic allowance. so was looking for a better option.

Mess wrote:
sry also forgot to mention that when it doesnt fully crash and i get i back to windows the screen seems to mess up. pixels seem to be showing up then go away. not sure if that will help.

@xeromist makes a good point. You report "artifacts" when your system doesn't fully crash. Have you encounter a GSOD (Green Screen of Death)? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GSOD.jpg If so, you are a candidate for the vbios update.

It is also worthwhile to make sure your system is not overheating by logging CPU and GPU temperatures with SpeedFan, HWINFO64, or RealTemp.

i have been monitoring temps, . and they are good, I regulary clean fans .also asus factory win install. So I guess its time for backup and install. will flash bios i guess. just gotta hope i dont brick it

dstrakele
Level 14
Windows Update installations automatically create restore points. Windows also automatically creates them periodically. Did you check to see if any are available in System Restore?

sry only two available are since i started having problems

dstrakele
Level 14
No backup of your system when it was in a stable state?

If not, I recommend opening the System Event Log in Event Viewer and finding the BugCheck source event. It will give a Bugcheck code and 4 parameters that can be used to further troubleshoot your BSOD.

The Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power source, EventID 41 only indicates your system shut down unexpectedly and is not useful for troubleshooting.

Are you running the ASUS Factory Windows 7 installation, or have you performed a clean Windows 7 installation?

xeromist
Have you tried cleaning it out with compressed air? Dust builds up and causes heat to be trapped. Also, have you done the vbios update?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dstrakele
Level 14
If you are not getting GSOD's, I'd hold off on the vbios update. As you realize, a failed vbios update can render your system unusable.

You can still troubleshoot the BSOD further if you wish. Again, the bugcheck code and 4 parameters from the BugCheck source event in the System Event Log could help identify how to proceed next.

What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your system?