cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G733QS Ram speed after upgrade

czmoku
Level 7
Hi
I bought new ram sticks, Gskills 3000Mhz, CL 16 (F4-3000C16D-32GRS) and after installation of them, the ram clock stuck on 2667Mhz with CL 19. I search if there is any possibility to overclock them in bios, but it seems that option is hidden in menu.

If there will be any option in future to change ram clock/latency manually? For now, in most scenario i loose couple of frames in gaming because of that. I use this laptop also to work (programming) and there will also be some improvements if i could set this correct ram speed.

I do not know why this is disabled if we have the ROG laptops here, not some budget or business laptops.

Laptop version: G733QS-HG025T
4 REPLIES 4

ezzotrn
Level 7
Hello.
I bought a g733qs with single channel 16gb ddr4 and I decided to upgrade ram.
I buy g.skill 3200 cl18 1.2v 16gb x2 and after install my g733qs set cl22 instead of cl18 .
okay no problem 22 is also fine, but the laptop started working incorrectly and the games just crashed.

costilletax
Level 7
Return it. You need to look for the ram with the best jedec profile, not xmp, because the bios is completely locked and there is no way to configure the timings, so they will always run at jedec spec. That is also why ezzotrn's ram runs at cl22, I have the same kit (gskill cl18 2x16gb dual rank) and it is running at cl22 with no crashes. The only way to have it run at cl18 is to have access to either manual memory timings on the bios or xmp profile support.

The hyperx 3200 cl20 is the best kit I have seen in terms of jedec timings so far, but it is a single rank kit.

Also, don't update to bios 313, something is not right with the spd.

costilletax wrote:
Return it. You need to look for the ram with the best jedec profile, not xmp, because the bios is completely locked and there is no way to configure the timings, so they will always run at jedec spec. That is also why ezzotrn's ram runs at cl22, I have the same kit (gskill cl18 2x16gb dual rank) and it is running at cl22 with no crashes. The only way to have it run at cl18 is to have access to either manual memory timings on the bios or xmp profile support.

The hyperx 3200 cl20 is the best kit I have seen in terms of jedec timings so far, but it is a single rank kit.

Also, don't update to bios 313, something is not right with the spd.

Thanks for response, for now I'm really dissapointed about how ASUS ignore users and limit usability. My research about these new ASUS laptop was really bad before buy. I heard about problems with MUX switch, but i made workaround by usb-c. AMD also do not set explicity about 8 lines of PCIe 3.0. This low ram frequency and clocks made this bottleneck around CPU HUGE, as we can see in tests. Gpu in this laptop can even loose with 3070 laptops with same TDP, but with intel cpu and no mux switch and with normal ram speed.

Its not "Republic Of Gamers", it is "Empire Of Gamers" 😞

relfoid
Level 8
As already stated the JEDEC setting is what you need to research, I found and risked a purchase for my G533QS and got these from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08M3TSWMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are again only Single RANK but the best latency I could find:

Not too happy about the tRC and tRFC but I hear this is an AMD safe guard.

So far so good but looking out for a great Dual RANK set with C18 lower.

Also I believe wer are stuck with 1.2V models only as the Voltage will not be set by JEDEC (may be wrong)
ASUS SCAR 17 G733PZ