cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G733 SIZZLING SOUNDS

bmhq
Level 8

ASUS G733 CX

to eliminate any sizzling or boiling sounds proceed as follows.

1.Open CMD and run as administrator this command.

bmhq_0-1685479953278.png

2.download and install throttlestop 9.5 and configure it like this.

bmhq_1-1685479953629.png

Here’s how to do it in Registry Editor.

1. Open Run dialog box by pressing Start + R.
  2. Type regedit into the text box and hit Enter.
  3. Click Yes in the User Account Control window.
  4. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, and Control in order.
  5. Right click on the Power folder.
  6. Choose New from the context menu and select Key from submenu.
  7. Name the new key as PowerThrottling and hit Enter.
  8. Right click on PowerThrottling.
  9. Choose New from the context menu and select DWORD (32-bit) Value from submenu.
  10. Name it as PowerThrottlingOff and hit Enter.
  11. Double click on PowerThrottlingOff to edit.
  12. Change the Value data from 0 to 1 and click OK.

restart the laptop and start throttle stop.

When it is restarted,put it to sleep,and then within 5 seconds ,awake it again.

the sizzling boiling noise should be gone.

15 REPLIES 15

cenksenci
Level 9

Hiya,

1- Do I have to open ThrottleStop every time when I turn the PC on? 

2- without using the ThrottleS top, can we do similar things by using the ASUS’ Armoury Crate?

Many thanks, I’ll try to do this to my laptop as soon as I can.

Yes you need to start Throttle Stop , every time you start your pc.But when you stop using your PC,dont shut it down.Put it to sleep instead.

NO you cannot do similar things with Crate.

take care

trishia42
Level 8

So does this basically disable C-states?  If so, how is it different than setting the "Procesor Idle Disable" option under the power plans?  I found when I disabled C-states with the second way, the noise would go but then the CPU usage would always be 100% because nothing was allowed to go into power-saving state.

leave the cpu power managenent as it is.follow the instructions.the target here is to eliminate sizzling sounds.and a combination of actions is required.

But does it disable all idle C-states, or only C2/C3?  Like if you look in Throttlestop, can it still access C1?  If I disable the idle states from the power options in Windows, all C-states become disabled, which is not ideal.  How have these fixes affected the power consumption and temperatures of your laptop?

Also, the first and third one are different things no?  What does the PowerThrottling actually do?  And I assume (2) is the disabling of C1E?  Did you need to do all three of these for the sound to go?

trishia42
Level 8

All right so I came back to drop some knowledge in case anyone does a search and comes across this post. I'm no expert, so feel free to correct antyhing that seems wrong.

The noise most likely comes from the chokes on the voltage regulator modules (VRMs) on the board. The noise goes away if you (a) turn turbo mode off, locking the CPU at a lower clock speed, (b) disable idle states (aka power-saving states), driving CPU usage to 100% and having a more or less constant clock speed across the cores that is in-between base/turbo, (c) or like in the above post disable states C2 and deeper plus C1E, which will also put your clock speed at a more or less constant number like in option (b). All of which makes sense because what causes the whine is the constant variation in voltage.

The way idle states work is that they either downclock a core or reduce voltage to it, or in some cases both. It 'starts' at C0 (normal state, code is being executed, all things powered/on) and then goes through deeper power-saving states [C1, C1E...C10]. Normally with a system at idle, you should see a small percentage in the C0 state and most in the lower states (C6, C7...C10). Generally, state C1 usually works by only reducing clock speed, while the other states work by reducing voltage and stopping clocks, except for C1E (Enhanced/hybrid) which does a combination of downclocking and reducing voltage.

If you disable idle states through the Windows power plan options ("Processor idle disable"), then you effectively disable all the idle states, so you will see 100% in the C0 state and the noise will be gone because the voltage demand of the cores is not altered with time anymore through the ever-constant in and out of these power-saving states.

If you use the registry hack, you are disabling states C2 and below but retaining C1 and C1E. Now with C1E on, you will still hear the noise because as mentioned it does downclocking and voltage reduction. The minute you turn it off, you more or less have the same scenario as above except you still get access to C1 (which doesn't touch voltage, just clocks).

The downside to doing this is that you will be drawing more voltage and watts and it might increase temperatures to some degree (on my setup, voltage went from 0.79 V to 1.2 V, power from 6 W to 19 W). But also another downside is that it will affect single-core performance; the "extra voltage" released by the cores in deeper idle states is no longer there. So you will see this reflected in your Cinebench scores; for example my scores for multi-core were very similar, but for single-core, they suffered a ~30% decrease.

Also just to add, Intel's datasheet/manual does make the following mention: "Caution: Long-term reliability cannot be assured unless all the Low-Power Idle States are enabled", so take that as you will. The regedit option does not technically disable all the idle states, and this warning could just be a non-tested clause type thing but it's still there.

Another thing that helped in my case to lessen the noise was playing with some of the options in the Windows power plan options. Mainly the 'Processor energy performance preference policy (lower values favours performance, higher favours power-saving) and the 'Maximum processor frequency' and trying to cap it at different values. You can try different variations of values for both of those (also playing with the associated options for these settings that include "for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1" - I think maybe this may refers to the P-cores vs the E-cores, but I'm not sure - sometimes one and not the other), as well as still turning off just C1E through TS. All of these options didn't completely eliminate the noise, but it made it better to some varying degreese.  Of course, it also affected performance in varying degrees. I also tried many of the other options for increase/decrease thresholds/policies, etc. etc, but most of them seemed to have little effect (on the noise and on the distribution to the C-states, but it's possible these were locked). It would be interesting to see what would happen if one were to turn off SpeedShift, but that doesn't seem to be an option in my case.

Bottom line? I think Asus needs to use better quality VRMs, because I saw four models of my laptop and they all had the same issue, and it is absolutely frustrating when it seems there are no reports for most other manufacturers. It is terribly disappointing that I have to tone down my CPU's capabilities just so it's bearable to use in a quiet environment.

very well done trishia.if you still have crackling noises ,let me now.I might be able to help you out.

Yeah, I mean I am able to lessen it to some extend but it's definitely still there.  What else you got?  In my case it sounds more or less like this staticky whine that is more obvious the more you modify the load on the CPU.  But even on idle, the clock speeds across cores constantly jumps up and down - so it's constantly there with normal settings.