cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G732LWS-DS76 with PG27VQ

NHXRUNNER
Level 7
So I'm looking into a G732LWS-DS76 to replace the VL702VM my wife bricked with a glass of water. I have (2) PG27VQ monitors (would like to get a 3rd). What is the best way to hook up these monitors (using the available outputs) to get the best performance? Can I run 3? How many of them will the g-sync work on? Thank you in advance for your help!
7 REPLIES 7

NHXRUNNER
Level 7
Bump to the top for some help 🙂

MrRuckus
Level 10
G-SYNC on Multiple displays I am not sure how that works. G-SYNC does go with display though and not the graphics card, so as long as the display supports G-SYNC, you shouldnt have a problem.

You are going from a GTX 1060 to a RTX 2070 Super. It looks like you will have essentially the same ports you had before on your old laptop, so you should be able to hook it up exactly like you had it on the VL702VM. You'll have a Mini DP and an HDMI port for display. If by 3 monitors you mean using the laptop display as one of the 3, then that shouldn't be a problem. If you are talking about 3 external displays without the laptop display, then you would need to look into alternatives for the 3rd, something like a USB-C to HDMI or something along those lines.

The 2070 super should be a nice upgrade from the 1060. Good luck with the new one!
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
G-SYNC on Multiple displays I am not sure how that works. G-SYNC does go with display though and not the graphics card, so as long as the display supports G-SYNC, you shouldnt have a problem.

You are going from a GTX 1060 to a RTX 2070 Super. It looks like you will have essentially the same ports you had before on your old laptop, so you should be able to hook it up exactly like you had it on the VL702VM. You'll have a Mini DP and an HDMI port for display. If by 3 monitors you mean using the laptop display as one of the 3, then that shouldn't be a problem. If you are talking about 3 external displays without the laptop display, then you would need to look into alternatives for the 3rd, something like a USB-C to HDMI or something along those lines.

The 2070 super should be a nice upgrade from the 1060. Good luck with the new one!

This is not what I've been reading. I've read that some conversions and/or docks do not support throughput of g-sync...

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Yes, the complication with the G732LWS model for this question is that it supports 'optimus' or both Intel and Nvidia graphics, so we need to make sure the G732LWS outputs are connected to the Nvidia graphics rather than the Intel graphics, otherwise it would not support G-sync if the display outputs went through the Intel graphics (and you wouldn't want to play games with an external monitor anyway if this was the case).
If you check the G732LWS download site, you can see both the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers listed to confirm this.
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G732LWS/HelpDesk_Download/

Customers interested in VR face a somewhat similar issue in trying to make sure the display output(s) are connected to the discrete graphics rather than the cpu integrated graphics.

Unfortunately, not sure of the situation myself for the G732LWS and would need to look into it more if you trust my information, but currently, not very clear to me if any of the display outputs are connected to the Nvidia graphics, so let me know if you want me to wait to see if I can get more details about it.
If somebody has a G732LWS system lying around or you can check it at the store with an external monitor, check the display properties to see if the external monitor is connected to the Intel or Nvidia graphics, or sometimes the Nvidia display settings will show this in a diagram.

================

Otherwise, if you are interested in any notebook models that don't support 'optimus' or Intel graphics and don't care about this feature, that can help take the guesswork out of this question, but you do need to look into this more for those notebook models supporting 'optimus'.

================

By the way looks like we have an alternate support page for the models like the G732LWS and only seeing 2 display outputs, so you may need to get creative if you want to attach 3 external monitors to this system.
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-15-17/Tech-Specs/

cl-Albert wrote:
Yes, the complication with the G732LWS model for this question is that it supports 'optimus' or both Intel and Nvidia graphics, so we need to make sure the G732LWS outputs are connected to the Nvidia graphics rather than the Intel graphics, otherwise it would not support G-sync if the display outputs went through the Intel graphics (and you wouldn't want to play games with an external monitor anyway if this was the case).
If you check the G732LWS download site, you can see both the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers listed to confirm this.
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G732LWS/HelpDesk_Download/

Customers interested in VR face a somewhat similar issue in trying to make sure the display output(s) are connected to the discrete graphics rather than the cpu integrated graphics.

Unfortunately, not sure of the situation myself for the G732LWS and would need to look into it more if you trust my information, but currently, not very clear to me if any of the display outputs are connected to the Nvidia graphics, so let me know if you want me to wait to see if I can get more details about it.
If somebody has a G732LWS system lying around or you can check it at the store with an external monitor, check the display properties to see if the external monitor is connected to the Intel or Nvidia graphics, or sometimes the Nvidia display settings will show this in a diagram.

================

Otherwise, if you are interested in any notebook models that don't support 'optimus' or Intel graphics and don't care about this feature, that can help take the guesswork out of this question, but you do need to look into this more for those notebook models supporting 'optimus'.

================

By the way looks like we have an alternate support page for the models like the G732LWS and only seeing 2 display outputs, so you may need to get creative if you want to attach 3 external monitors to this system.
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-15-17/Tech-Specs/

I am interested in the G732LWS myself. Will it not support G-sync when hooked up to a single monitor?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Would still like to get more confirmation since I have not been able to verify this firsthand, but if you trust the ASUS Global website (switch to your local region at the bottom left-side of the page), it mentions only the type-C output can support G-sync if you check the asterisk.
Not sure why the HDMI output cannot G-sync if it is also connected to the Nvidia graphics, but that seems to be the way it is according to the website information.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-15-17/Features/

"I/O Ports
Comprehensive Connectivity
Hook up your devices and hop in-game quickly. Get blazing fast transfers at Gen 2 speeds via the USB 3.2 Type-C™ with DisplayPort™ 1.4, or connect a G-SYNC™ monitor* for silky smooth gaming. Three Type-A USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports are ready for your favorite gaming gear, while HDMI 2.0b allows you to enjoy movies and games on a 4K monitor or TV at up to 60Hz. Integrated Gigabit Ethernet boasts lower networking latency for competitive multiplayer gaming, complementing the built-in Wi-Fi.
* G-SYNC™ is only supported via USB Type-C."

Padraigo
Level 7