cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G533ZW - fps drop - stutterings

Cojokek
Level 8
Hello, everyone!

I own a ROG Strix Scar 15, 2022 laptop with i9-12900H and RTX 3070 Ti. The model is G533ZW, to be exact. Besides high CPU temperatures, there are a lot of fps drops in all games and audio micro stutterings.
I know this is a persisting problem with the new series. I saw a lot of comments on various e-commerce websites where people (who mostly returned the laptop) complained about this behavior. There are even people complaining about this problem on this forum, but they don't get an official answear.

I already tried various modes and settings in Armoury Crate. Drivers and BIOS are up to date. I tried ThrottleStop (even though the voltage settings are blocked). I tried disabling E Cores, I tried everything.. And it is way worse after the ArmouryCrate.ThrottleGearMergeModule update from last week.

Is ASUS aware of these problems?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you,

This actually looks pretty good.

With the fans at 100% we can see the cpu is no longer thermal throttling, although the cpu package temp is at 88c, this is considered ok by Intel.

So we can now look elsewhere for the cause of the fps drop.

Let's start with what game you're playing, what resolution you're playing at and is ray tracing turned on?

I was playing Valorant with medium-high settings. But, like I said, this problem is present on all games, e.g. Fortnite, CSGO, LEGO Star Wars - The Skywalker Saga, Far Cry 6. I am playing on 2048 x 1080. I usually don't turn on RTX in games.

Nate152
Ok, if you're getting over 240FPS, enable V-Sync in the game settings.

In Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3d Settings", make sure Vertical sync is set to Application Controlled, then turn on V-sync in the game settings.

Does this make games smoother?

Nate152 wrote:
Ok, if you're getting over 240FPS, enable V-Sync in the game settings.

In Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3d Settings", make sure Vertical sync is set to Application Controlled, then turn on V-sync in the game settings.

Does this make games smoother?

I already tried this. However, I always limit my fps to 144.
After playing more games, even with fans set to 100% (and a cooler), my CPU reaches 90 degree Celsius.

Nate152
We need to stay away from that 90c mark.

As I'm not familiar with laptops, I'm not sure how much control you have over the cpu. The first thing to do would be to try with lower cpu voltage.

If you have no voltage control, try lowering the cpu frequency 100MHz if you're able to. You may be able to do this with the Intel XTU.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

The i9-12900H cpu isn't on the list of supported cpu's but it still might work. If it doesn't give you control, uninstall it.

Nate152 wrote:
We need to stay away from that 90c mark.

As I'm not familiar with laptops, I'm not sure how much control you have over the cpu. The first thing to do would be to try with lower cpu voltage.

If you have no voltage control, try lowering the cpu frequency 100MHz if you're able to. You may be able to do this with the Intel XTU.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

The i9-12900H cpu isn't on the list of supported cpu's but it still might work. If it doesn't give you control, uninstall it.

Sadly, I cannot use Intel XTU because that would require to disable Virtual Machine Platform on Windows, and I do need that to work in WSL2.
The laptop should have been good from the beginning, out of the box. When someone buys a laptop, that costs this much, they don't want to post on forums and find workarounds to be able to use their product. ASUS needs to work on a fix.

Nate152
All right,

I see they used liquid metal for cpu heat transfer on this particular model.

It's possible the liquid metal application wasn't quite right.

I'm not sure what else to do or suggest at this point, except to contact ASUS Support.

This is in Romanian, click Technical Assistance.

https://www.asus.com/ro/support