cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G513QY Freesync not supported on external display over type-c?

H0N0R
Level 9
Hello,

I have an Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Edition laptop (Model G513QY-HQ008) with r9 5900hx and radeon 6800m. My TV is the LG oled c1 (supports freesync premium). The laptop has an HDMI 2.0b port which gets signal from the cpu / and a USB-C 3.2 gen 2 port with DP 1.4 alt mode which gets signal directly from the gpu. The TV has only HDMI 2.1 ports.

Ideally, I want to connect them via the usb-c port on the laptop for two reasons:

-USB-C port on the laptop connects to the dGPU for extra performance

-HDMI port on the laptop is not 2.1; while I can get 4K120hz, unfortunately the port does not support HDR, which is great on the TV.

For these reasons I got 2 things: a usb-c to hdmi 2.1 adapter(uses dp 1.4 alt mode), and an hdmi 2.1 cable both with HDR and VRR support and from the same brand.

When I connect via the hdmi port on the laptop, I can get 4K120hz with Freesync premium(which the TV interface indicates and the radeon software recognizes the tv as vrr compatible). but as I said with no HDR (I'm guessing it's the limitation from the laptop port).

When I connect via the usb-c port using the above mentioned items, I get 4k120hz with HDR support this time, but I can' get Freesync support. Radeon software says the display doesn't support freesync, and the tv interface says vrr is off.

Now my theory is that 2 things might cause this:

-(more likely)the conversion from usb-c(dp1.4) to hdmi 2.1

-(less likely)only the signal from iGPU supports freesync, not dGPU

Is there anyone who faced the same issue on any kind of device, or if it is an issue even. Do you have any recommendations to make the gpu see the TV as freesync compatible over usb-c. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

H0N0R
Level 9
I have now confirmed that this situation is not on my unit alone, others also experience it. Can maybe someone from Asus inform us if this is intended or if there is a way to make it work?

rat445533
Level 7
H0N0R wrote:
Hello,

I have an Asus ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Edition laptop (Model G513QY-HQ008) with r9 5900hx and radeon 6800m. My TV is the LG oled c1 (supports freesync premium). The laptop has an HDMI 2.0b port which gets signal from the cpu / and a USB-C 3.2 gen 2 port with DP 1.4 alt mode which gets signal directly from the gpu. The TV has only HDMI 2.1 ports.

Ideally, I want to connect them via the usb-c port on the laptop for two reasons:

-USB-C port on the laptop connects to the dGPU for extra performance

-HDMI port on the laptop is not 2.1; while I can get 4K120hz, unfortunately the port does not support HDR, which is great on the TV.

For these reasons I got 2 things: a usb-c to hdmi 2.1 adapter(uses dp 1.4 alt mode), and an hdmi 2.1 cable both with HDR and VRR support and from the same brand.

When I connect via the hdmi port on the laptop, I can get 4K120hz with Freesync premium(which the TV interface indicates and the radeon software recognizes the tv as vrr compatible). but as I said with no HDR (I'm guessing it's the limitation from the laptop port).

When I connect via the usb-c port using the above mentioned items, I get 4k120hz with HDR support this time, but I can' get Freesync support. Radeon software says the display doesn't support freesync, and the tv interface says vrr is off.

Now my theory is that 2 things might cause this:

-(more likely)the conversion from usb-c(dp1.4) to hdmi 2.1

-(less likely)only the signal from iGPU supports freesync, not dGPU

Is there anyone who faced the same issue on any kind of device, or if it is an issue even. Do you have any recommendations to make the gpu see the TV as freesync compatible over usb-c. Thanks in advance.

vrr is not supported thru usbc to dp 1.4 to hdmi convertion, but if you use a 4k monitor with usb-c dp to dp should work 🙂

rat445533 wrote:
vrr is not supported thru usbc to dp 1.4 to hdmi convertion, but if you use a 4k monitor with usb-c dp to dp should work 🙂

Thanks for the information 🙂