cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G512LW - To buy or not to buy?

echo3166
Level 7
Hi Everyone!

For those that currently own or have owned the G512LW. Would you buy it again or would you pass and why?

I'm on the fence on this model after reading several post regarding thermal issues among others.

I'm looking at G512LW-ES76 model specifically.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

craig_cabbage
Level 8
echo3166 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

For those that currently own or have owned the G512LW. Would you buy it again or would you pass and why?

I'm on the fence on this model after reading several post regarding thermal issues among others.

I'm looking at G512LW-ES76 model specifically.

Thanks!

Buyer beware.

I have the G732LWS, so not exactly the same as yours, but I would not buy this laptop again.

Unfortunately, I kept telling myself that Asus was going to fix all of the issues that I didn't really begin to acknowledge until I already had the laptop for 30 days. So I'm stuck with it.

It's a $2200 laptop that, while it is obviously a powerhouse, it has a gamut of problems. You can see them on the forums here. Overheating issues, lack of advanced Intel settings, XMP, etc, issues related to installing additional SSDs - Samsung Evos not compatible at all, others reporting 2nd SSD stops being detected unless they do a hard reboot, the RAM upgrades are limited (I'm having to buy sticks, test them for compatibility, and if they don't work return and try again - and the factory RAM it comes with is expensive in 16GB version), just randomly all last week I was getting blue screens, I had probably a total of 7, some just while browsing, others while gaming, I have to disable my speakers and enable them basically every time I play an audio file in my browser, and that's just what I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm missing other stuff.

Look at other manufacturers or wait for something better from Asus, although I'm convinced I'm never buying an Asus product again. I had a $900 Acer, that while obviously not comparable in power, I had no issues at all for 2 years on that thing. I only replaced it with this because I wanted something that could handle Cyberpunk 2077. This will definitely do that, but I wish I had spent the money on a manufacturer that puts out an actual premium product, isntead of just charging for one.

craig_cabbage wrote:
Buyer beware.

I have the G732LWS, so not exactly the same as yours, but I would not buy this laptop again.

Unfortunately, I kept telling myself that Asus was going to fix all of the issues that I didn't really begin to acknowledge until I already had the laptop for 30 days. So I'm stuck with it.

It's a $2200 laptop that, while it is obviously a powerhouse, it has a gamut of problems. You can see them on the forums here. Overheating issues, lack of advanced Intel settings, XMP, etc, issues related to installing additional SSDs - Samsung Evos not compatible at all, others reporting 2nd SSD stops being detected unless they do a hard reboot, the RAM upgrades are limited (I'm having to buy sticks, test them for compatibility, and if they don't work return and try again - and the factory RAM it comes with is expensive in 16GB version), just randomly all last week I was getting blue screens, I had probably a total of 7, some just while browsing, others while gaming, I have to disable my speakers and enable them basically every time I play an audio file in my browser, and that's just what I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm missing other stuff.

Look at other manufacturers or wait for something better from Asus, although I'm convinced I'm never buying an Asus product again. I had a $900 Acer, that while obviously not comparable in power, I had no issues at all for 2 years on that thing. I only replaced it with this because I wanted something that could handle Cyberpunk 2077. This will definitely do that, but I wish I had spent the money on a manufacturer that puts out an actual premium product, isntead of just charging for one.

Thanks for the feedback. I know all manufacturers have issues here and there, but the issues on this forum are glaring. I've been considering the new HP Omen 15 which from reviews seem to have much better thermals and ventilation designs. Laptops are investments that are meant to last many years and not be throw away electronics.