cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does upgrading your Asus laptop can void the warranty?

sachinkhanna32
Level 7
So I bought an Asus rog laptop GL503VD a few days ago and I ordered a RAM in a different store. after the RAM has arrived I installed it along with the SSD that the laptop store gave me as a freebie. I was not able to install the SSD since I can't get the screw out. the RAM is compatible and works just fine.

But a few days after I found some dead pixel in my laptop screen. I'm not really sure if I had bought it with the defects already in the screen since I'm not able to test it in solid background color before buying it.

So my question is does opening the back panel where your RAM and SSD slot is located (upgrading some specs) can void my warranty?
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
It should not, however there may be regional differences. Either way, revert it to stock memory and return it. Don't damage or scratch anything and you should be fine. Just don't tell them you were inside it. A dead pixel has nothing to do with memory but some retailers may look for a reason to avoid taking a return if you tell them.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It should not, however there may be regional differences. Either way, revert it to stock memory and return it. Don't damage or scratch anything and you should be fine. Just don't tell them you were inside it. A dead pixel has nothing to do with memory but some retailers may look for a reason to avoid taking a return if you tell them.

And what if my seller changed HDD and I don't have it now? I asked him about warranty before I bought it and he said it won't void ASUS warranty and I shouldn't be worried about it. But I am, cause so many strange things are happening with my GL504 and I'm thinking about sending it to ASUS. Can I just remove new hard drive and another m.2 one and send it without any HDD?

bastet008 wrote:
And what if my seller changed HDD and I don't have it now? I asked him about warranty before I bought it and he said it won't void ASUS warranty and I shouldn't be worried about it. But I am, cause so many strange things are happening with my GL504 and I'm thinking about sending it to ASUS. Can I just remove new hard drive and another m.2 one and send it without any HDD?

The primary reason to revert the machine is in case your more expensive upgrades get lost in the RMA. People have (occasionally) reported parts missing because the whole machine was swapped out or part of it was replaced and the technician only reinstalled parts that were factory original. However, in general they will not touch or remove parts unnecessarily. So if you have a dead hard drive they would not remove extra memory you installed.

I've only rarely heard of someone being denied RMA for changing storage or memory and it was usually because that was the cause of the problem.

I'd guess, if you don't have the factory parts you will probably still be OK. Unless the upgraded part is causing the problem they shouldn't have an issue. I can't recommend removing the hard drive though. I believe someone recently reported being denied for not having a hard drive. Even though the RMA was for an unrelated hardware issue the technician was unable to re-image and test the machine without a drive. But that could also just be one picky technician having a bad day. *shrug* You could try it at your own risk.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The primary reason to revert the machine is in case your more expensive upgrades get lost in the RMA. People have (occasionally) reported parts missing because the whole machine was swapped out or part of it was replaced and the technician only reinstalled parts that were factory original. However, in general they will not touch or remove parts unnecessarily. So if you have a dead hard drive they would not remove extra memory you installed.

I've only rarely heard of someone being denied RMA for changing storage or memory and it was usually because that was the cause of the problem.

I'd guess, if you don't have the factory parts you will probably still be OK. Unless the upgraded part is causing the problem they shouldn't have an issue. I can't recommend removing the hard drive though. I believe someone recently reported being denied for not having a hard drive. Even though the RMA was for an unrelated hardware issue the technician was unable to re-image and test the machine without a drive. But that could also just be one picky technician having a bad day. *shrug* You could try it at your own risk.

Thank you for your answer! I will have to try and send my laptop, cause there are some battery and fan issues that are neccessary to repair.