cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with my ASUS gl503

John_Weston
Level 7
I am so very disappointed with the purchase of my ASUS gl503 rog strix. Believe it or not, when I purchased my laptop the HDD went bad the second day and I was given a new unit. The following week the HDD went bad on that one and the service center simply replaced it. I've had nothing but trouble with the machine. I have always purchased Toshiba machines in the past and never had problems. This is the last time I EVER purchase another ASUS. I wish I had something good to say about this machine, but I would be lying.
8 REPLIES 8

Gustave
Level 9
Apparently you were out of luck.

I have been using all kinds of Asus hardware for the past 15 years or so. Build a lot of PC's on Asus motherboards and have bought a fair share of notebooks for my friends and myself over the years without real problems.

I should reconsider 😉
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Console_Peasant
Level 7
John Weston wrote:
I am so very disappointed with the purchase of my ASUS gl503 rog strix. Believe it or not, when I purchased my laptop the HDD went bad the second day and I was given a new unit. The following week the HDD went bad on that one and the service center simply replaced it. I've had nothing but trouble with the machine. I have always purchased Toshiba machines in the past and never had problems. This is the last time I EVER purchase another ASUS. I wish I had something good to say about this machine, but I would be lying.

I got a g751jt laptop 3 years ago. Never had a problem with it except the fact that I lost all the ASUS hardware due to a virus. Games run perfectly on my laptop and I'm still using it till date. I'd rate it 8.5/10. My HDD also went bad last year but I simply got it replaced with a new one by a technician. No problems after.

Clintlgm
Level 14
John Weston wrote:

I am really surprised that they replace a notebook for a defective hard drive. It quite simple to change out a hard drive over they years of owning notebooks of many different manufacturers and all of them with spinners have failed at one point or another. SSD's especially M.2 SSD have pretty much solved this issue. I have my G75 for 5 years it came with a 256GB SSD and 750 Hard Drive, I had changed out the original SSD for an 850 Pro when they were released and also replaced the 750 GB hard drive for a 1TB 850 Pro. During year 5 I replaced the G75 with a G752VY, I gave my sister the G75 with the 256gb 850 Pro and put the orignal 750GB hard drive she's been using it for a year and a half without issues. I did have 2 RMA with the G75 first one was simple like yours just the right speaker wasn't working they sent it back with the right speaker still not working. the 2nd RMA they ended up changing motherboard keyboard and trackpad and connectors. I never had another issue that I couldn't solve myself that computer was purchased in 2012 and my sister is still using it with no issues.

Sounds like you have just had a little bad luck I would have just change the first bad hard drive for a SSD and forgot about it or at least changed Vendor for the 2nd time obviously the vendor you're dealing with has issues.

BTW your post in the G series subforum. Your model is a GL series, not the same notebooks at all you may want to check out the GL subforum https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?200-GL-Series-Gaming-Notebooks
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hi John,

I know how you feel. I am very dissapointed with my G752VSK. At first I posted it wasn't too bad as I didn't want to come across as a negative troll to the forum. However now that I think about what I've experienced with Asus it hasn't been a positive experience and I wouldn't recommend purchasing an Asus to anyone.

The machine came not properly set-up. Their customer support was nothing short of appalling, unwilling to walk me through getting the machine set up properly. The only way I got them to help was thanks to a Microsoft Technical advisor giving them a right telling off.

I paid for a machine with a Thunderbolt USB-C port; which doesn't work (a major selling point by the way and quite important to me).

No Thunderbolt software on the machine, I since had to install the drivers myself (shouldn't have to do this on a £2,700 machine).

Optical hard disk not showing in many searches, thus reducing me to have to search manually for every single file on the second hard drive.

Yes John, I agree buddy, Asus are not very good at all, wish I spent more money on a Dell. Wouldn't have had any of these problems and their customer service is paramount. I'm surprised Asus is still allowed to trade, after reading their customer reviews.

Gustave
Level 9
Sigh ........

if you can't stand the heat stay out the kitchen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gustave wrote:
Sigh ........

if you can't stand the heat stay out the kitchen

How's that constructive?

You think it's our fault that Asus advertise their products having features which work, then we buy them products and find that them features don't work; and that's our fault?

Dalski wrote:
How's that constructive?

You think it's our fault that Asus advertise their products having features which work, then we buy them products and find that them features don't work; and that's our fault?

I agree. It's a stupid comment and I think the poster missed the mark on understanding it's meaning. I could site my supposed 40 Gb TB3 advertised on my rig, which turned out to be 20 Gb. Although, other than that, I have been very lucky with my GL702VMK, my system has worked excellent since I purchased it in April, 2017.

StarJack

my gl503 kinda freezes every like here and now, idk if its the hard drive issue.. it has been like this since day one lol