cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD -> irql_not_less_or_equal on reboot G55VW

iBoody
Level 7

Hi Guys,
Yesterday I have got some occasional BSOD screens which prompts an error 'irql_not_less_or_equal'. It happens only in a reboot, exactly after the Windows loads it drivers and prepare to loads the login screen. Therefore it couldn't even dump the memory file to a local hdd nor to do an auto restart. (settings are configured to do so ->Kernel Dump + Auto Restart). Force shutdown is my only option here. Strange thing is, it has never happens on fresh/clear start (yet). Only on a occational re-boot.

Recently,

• didn't make any changes to my drivers
  • running on latest Bios nearly from 2 months
  • still on factory driver for 660m
  • install Windows update + NIS 2012 -> Boot level protection disabled by default
  • did Windows Memory diagnostic tool - Test Pass. (Standard)

These're my only changes to the system. So what would actually causing this issue guys? Any idea? Any same issues?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
The STOP 0xa BSOD you get on a reboot is a generic memory corruption error. Since you've made so few changes and the BSOD occurs at reboot on a warm system, I believe it is more likely your issue is caused by a hardware problem rather than software.

1) You could test your memory more vigorously with memtest86+, running at least 3 passes.

2) Run CHKDSK C: /F /R from an elevated Command Prompt (right-click on the Command Prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, then enter the command) to confirm your filesystem is sound

3) Boot front a Linux "LiveCD" distribution or Perform an F9 ASUS Factory Restore.

How long have you had your laptop? If the above fails, you should contact your retailer and exchange your defective laptop for a new one, if you are still in the retailer's exchange/return period.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
prob RAM... timings or something else..

thanks for the replies guys.. If this because of a bad RAM why couldn't repeat it on clean start up? or else in every restart? it was happened just 2 times in random reboots. Every time it prompting to a same memory address (xF800034F0174) and I have doubt that one of my driver or web cam software(I enabled YouCam FaceLogon) causing this invalid access.I'll check this and post the results.

worse case,,,if it's my memory, I don't think I could proceed with any exchanges because, I already did it once (bad thermal paste on GPU) + now I'm out side of exchange period! So sorry for me, but hope I could replaced my sticks.

dstrakele
Level 14
My suspicion is thermal expansion is involved, since the problem doesn't occur from a cold boot. I would remove and reseat the HDD and any RAM you can access easily.

Seeing if you could reproduce the BSOD on booting from a Linux " LiveCD " is a good way to determine if you have a hardware problem.

I'd still attempt an exchange if you're unable to resolve your issue. The retailer may bend the rules in your case, since you had 2 defective machines right out of the box.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The 0x000000a code is also due to a possible driver issue

dstrakele
Level 14
But with all stock drivers and intermittent occurrence on a reboot, I'd say it's unlikely in this particular case.

On the other hand, Norton drivers are still possible suspects.

dstrakele wrote:

On the other hand, Norton drivers are still possible suspects.

Because why? Norton sucks lol 😛