Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix Scar GL703GE-E047T upgrade advice

Venser
Level 7
Hi, I want to upgrade my 2 year old Strix laptop and I need some advice

Specs:
i7 8750H Coffee Lake, RAM 8GB DDR4, GeForce GTX 1050TI 4GB GDDR5, SSD (NVME) 128GB PCIe + SSHD 1TB 5400RPM

The main SSD with the OS is really small and I always have it full with just a few GB left so I need to replace it with larger one. I also don't like having a secondary HDD, not only because it's slower but I'm paranoid about damaging it cause I bring laptop to work and run with it down the stairs every day. So I'll switch it for a secondary SSD. While I'm at it, I want to upgrade RAM. The main RAM slot is easily accessible but unfortunately the second one is further down and I have to take apart the lid and I'm not sure how comfortable I am doing it. Someone told me 2 sticks of 8GB are faster than a single 16GB stick tho and also that the current RAM has CAS 19 which isn't great and I can go for any DDR4 SO-DIMM kit that is 1.2volts.

Main: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (M2 NVME)
Secondary: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB (2,5", SATA III)
RAM: Crucial SO-DIMM 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19 Dual Ranked or Crucial SO-DIMM 16GB KIT DDR4 2400MHz CL17 Single Ranked x8

Also do I need a passive cooler for 970 EVO? The current M2 drive doesn't have any.

People told me it's easier to clone the disk but I would kinda prefer clean install. How would I do that on Strix? In old times I would get a Windows CD with a key, more recently I'd get a Widows key on a sticker at the back of the laptop but this Asus Strix didn't come with any code as far as I know... I'd also like to have all of the software like ROG gaming center and the drivers that came with it so how should I go about it? I found a folder named "recovery" which also contains folder "OEM" so maybe it's got something with it? I could really use some help.
0 REPLIES 0