cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROGgl702vm (and GL502VS,GL703GE) Fans always max speed even when IDLE-WORKAROUND

toske
Level 8
Hi Everyone ! I have seen some post in the past about this issue, but none of them seem to have a solution and seem to be abandoned. I have been having this problem for quite some time now.. and while its been on and off, with every windows update it seems to get worse.

The problem concerns the CPU and GPU fans both. The CPU fan is almost always the one on max.

The problem happened, as it did with many others, after the failed windows creators update, that kept coming back and back after failing until there was a workaround by disabling the secure boot on the ssd and installing it manually rather than letting it do it by itself. All was well and good, but after few days noticed that the laptop sometimes would spin the fans up to max for few seconds (even if it was idle ) and then go quiet again. After few weeks it would do that for the first 20 minutes of being booted until it gradually went down and stayed at a normal speed and responded to actual temps and not its own whim.
Fast forward few months to today and the fans just randomly speed up to max and stay there for the whole day, sometimes shutting it down mid rampage and turning it on again would solve the issue, but most time it would not.
If I was gaming 24/7, the unbearable fans noise would not be a problem, but I started to use it as a youtube machine during working hours and gaming later it, just kills the nice quiet stillness in the office with its space jet engines while doing the most minimal tasks.

I have tried the NBfC while its good indicator which fan start to act up, it does not have a profile for the laptop and it struggles to keep the fans at bay once they want to go full speed. It sort of chokes them up and they keep coming back in bursts, so its not really a solution, but even more of an annoyance. The fan speed indicator also does not pick up when the fans are acting up, it always shows them to be at 12.5% even if they are at max, but once the fans act normal again, the indicator seems to represent the values more accurately. It's almost as if the fan controller is not communicating properly with the sensors.

I have not re-enabled the secure boot as from reading the workaround threads many people reported it would not boot up again.

Some things i have noticed is that the CPU is running at boosted clock speeds even when idling, however during the times of bliss and quiet when the fans are under control the temps keep around 45 degrees with the boosted clocks still there, so I am not sure it is the culprit rather than a symptom of what ever might be causing the issue.

I live in quite warm climate so the temps are normal to be like this, they never go above 80 under load and for a thin machine i would not expect more of it (apart from a better air intake for the fans, which are obviously starved for air with this design)

If anyone has a solution they might have found or any ideas of what i could try to solve the issue, I would be most grateful !

THESE WORKAROUND MIGHT ONLY BE TEMPORARY AND REQUIRE YOU TO REAPPLY THEM CONSTANTLY

EDIT 01/2021 :
Another possible workaround:
1. Remove and reinsert the wire going to the left fan.
2. Remove and reinsert the wire going to the right fan.
3. Disconnect and reconnect the battery.

EDIT : Possible Solution for anyone looking for an answer, from the last post on the thread.
I have tried with my gl702vm, moved some cables around so there would be no contact with any part of the motherboard and removed a tape that was used to secure the cable to some components. Didn't have a single instance of fans ramping up. For now this seems to be the main workaround.

KAB123456789 wrote:
Pretty much true in my case. If you're having the same problem as I did, all you really have to do is move the wire connecting the fans to the motherboard away from components on your laptop.

My story here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/why-is-my-gpu-fan-insane.3532974/post-21412825

It's a really dumb design flaw. Not ragging on ASUS at all, you can't really predict this is going to happen. Just seems like it's receiving either heat from components they're touching, or EMF interference from being so close.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 total minutes to fix it. Please let me know if this helps someone so that we can figure out whether or not I accidentally fixed something else isntead, haha.

Zethriel wrote:
This quote led to the answer.

Ignore every other software,utility, driver and BIOS speculation.
The problem with the fan is the wire connecting it. It is either caused by the connector not connected properly or some interference from the chip that the wire hangs over.

I looked up a video how to teardown the laptop. The GL703GE is very easy to work on. The video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4eD2506oQ

From that video, you can see below that the wire in the video is looped around a resistor or capacitor or something (some silver cylinder). It does NOT hang over the chip near the fan. My machine, and most other pics I have seen online, show the wire handing over the chip that is just under the person's baby finger in the picture below.

I looped my wire the way it shows in the picture, made sure it was connected (it already was), and the problem has never happened since.

55 REPLIES 55

Yep I also have to do it everytime, it sucks but it does work. ASUS needs to update the BIOS ASAP, this is truly ridiculous.

but does ASUS know about it?

At the risk of sounding like an Amazon Q&A section, I don't know.

So I went to the ASUS downloads page and realized they have a recommended NVIDIA driver on there, which happens to be version 399.24. The current version at the NVIDIA website is 417.22, though I was not fully up to date, I had 416.81 installed.

I downloaded ASUS's version and used DDU in Safe Mode to uninstall 416.81. I then booted into normal mode and installed 399.24. Fan issue gone, just like that.

So I am pretty convinced this is down to some kind of change in the NVIDIA driver that the laptop is not handling properly, most likely relating to temperature management. I am sticking with 399.24 for the time being until somebody reports that the problem is gone again with a later version.

Update: After a restart, the issue came back. I am looking into it further, but so far I have found ancient fossilized NVIDIA drivers hiding around even after using DDU. The way to reveal where they are is to uninstall the current driver and then reboot and wait until a driver is automatically installed. Then you can manually uninstall the device and check the box to uninstall the driver completely. Then make sure there are no other NVIDIA folders on the C drive and no NVIDIA programs installed under Programs and Features. Then run DDU under Safe Mode again - The only way to get into Safe Mode on this trash laptop is to hold down Esc from right after you click Restart Now (under Settings -> Recovery) all the way through all the clicks and the restart, then it will give the blue selection screen to start Safe Mode. Then manually install the newest NVIDIA driver (currently 417.22) and reboot again.

After doing that, things are running nice and quiet, but I will still try a few power cycles to see if it holds up.

Never buying ASUS again.

Update 2: It does NOT hold up. The issue is back.

GL702ZC here. Same problem started to happen several days ago, waiting to 'cooldown' or driver updates does not help, gaming center doesn't work regarding fan speed.
Gave it for warranty, now waiting for the results.

I have exactly the same problem with a GL503GE, but I never had any problem with Windows (10 64b) updates.

The GPU fan (as per Rog Gaming Center) is at the max speed (6800-7000 rpm) as soon as I start the computer, even with no secondary screen. The GPU temperature is reported to be 32°C... no need for such a fan speed ! It usually last for about 30 minutes (sometimes less, sometimes more) and then it comes back to a quiet speed.

I have the latest bios to date (updated 3 weeks ago after Asus call center advice) but it changed nothing. The Asus call center also asked me to install the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework but it made nothing.

The call center was not really aware of this problem, or at least said me so...

Yesterday I was in a game design school and asked the question to the students who had ROG laptops. Most of them suffer the same problem and none of them had any solution. They just wait for 15 min to more than 1 hour until for any unknown reason the fan comes back to a normal speed, then the computer is quiet...

It is a pity Asus never proposed any solution to this long date known issue.

Fred

I was having the same issue (GL703GE). Didn't remember exactly when that happened, but I think it happened after I updated the nVidia GeForce Graphics Driver to the latest version.

I am able to solve this by uninstalling all nVidia Driver from control panel, and then install the nVidia Driver from it's backed up folder. Mine is located here :
C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Driver\Legacy\Graphic\NVIDIA\Graphic\23.21.13.8873\8292
That's all I did, I don't update OS or BIOS, only playing around nVidia Drivers.

Now it still happens after I boot up my laptop, but only for 5-10 mins. Not the whole times -_-
If it still runs the higest RPM, try to test your GPU using FunMark. Do the 1080(FHD) or 720 benchmarks.
Hope this can helps.

Edit (3 days later) ::
The issue still happens. Damn. I go to Asus Service Center to ask about this problems. He (the CS) said there are several unit having this problems (and why Asus don't fix it -_-). So he said some recommendations to me:
1. Update your BIOS to the newest. If it still not fixed it.
2. Probably the fan itself or the heat trigger is error. Give your laptop to them so they can examine your fan problem.
3. The worst, motherboard burnt...

EDIT 2 ::
Fixed by Asus Service Center -_-
They said the cable or connector or whatever didn't work properly.

chaaards wrote:
I was having the same issue (GL703GE). Didn't remember exactly when that happened, but I think it happened after I updated the nVidia GeForce Graphics Driver to the latest version.

I am able to solve this by uninstalling all nVidia Driver from control panel, and then install the nVidia Driver from it's backed up folder. Mine is located here :
C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Driver\Legacy\Graphic\NVIDIA\Graphic\23.21.13.8873\8292
That's all I did, I don't update OS or BIOS, only playing around nVidia Drivers.

Now it still happens after I boot up my laptop, but only for 5-10 mins. Not the whole times -_-
If it still runs the higest RPM, try to test your GPU using FunMark. Do the 1080(FHD) or 720 benchmarks.
Hope this can helps.

Edit (3 days later) ::
The issue still happens. Damn. I go to Asus Service Center to ask about this problems. He (the CS) said there are several unit having this problems (and why Asus don't fix it -_-). So he said some recommendations to me:
1. Update your BIOS to the newest. If it still not fixed it.
2. Probably the fan itself or the heat trigger is error. Give your laptop to them so they can examine your fan problem.
3. The worst, motherboard burnt...

EDIT 2 ::
Fixed by Asus Service Center -_-
They said the cable or connector or whatever didn't work properly.

Has it been working fine since ?

I hate to necro a thread but... I found a fix.

CPU fan (left fan) was running at max, even in BIOS and Safe Mode.

I updated the BIOS and all software, including Win10 with no luck.

Got rid of Armoury Crate & Service.

Installed GPUTweak II - https://www.asus.com/us/site/graphics-cards/gpu-tweak-ii/

The fan is now quiet, around 5500 rpm even in the BIOS. Drops to near silent / silent when under low load.

Of note- the GPU fan disappeared from Armoury Crate after the BIOS update and is still no longer listed if reinstalled.

I had fan problems on my new GL703GE - GPU fan would get stuck on high no matter what process or task I was working on. Tried every trick I found here and ended up sending it in under warranty. It's been a week and we shall see what they say the problem is.