cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531GW keyboard issue.

shadow6970
Level 7
Ok I'll start by explaining everything that has happened so far and what I have tried to do to fix it.

At the beginning everything worked fine no issues, bought the laptop new, downloaded the myasus application and installed all new drivers. While in the middle of installing the newest keyboard hotfix (2.2.2) however, my screen bluescreened in the middle effectively bricking my keyboard. Wasn't that much of an issue at the time because I still had my other laptop.

Time went by and I sent it to get repaired and here's where the problem started.

Honestly couldn't care about how shoddy of a job the repair was, the issue I had was that after being told my laptop was fixed that they had "identified a further issue with your unit" not a problem just extra waiting time. When I got my laptop however I noticed 3 major issues.

1) The LED bar under the laptop only had 2/3 sides lit (Front and right). I managed to fix this myself by purchasing a new ribbon cable as they managed to bust the original one. Not a big deal.

2) The 5 Extra keys (Vol -/+, mic, profile and armoury crate) weren't functioning at all.

3) My keyboard backlight is non-existant and I am unable to change it with armoury crate or any other rog aura service. The other lights work fine (LED Bar and ROG logo). I have tried to do the keyboard hotfix - again, but the application doesn't even detect the keyboard at all and just closes instantly.

I haven't tried anything since and am looking for some help because at the moment I need my laptop to do things with and getting a repair now would only take even longer than before due to COVID-19.

I'm looking for some advice to try and fix this issue, I'm fine with opening the laptop and attempting the repair myself, I would just either need some guides to show me what everything is and if I need to - replace other ribbon cables. The laptop is still under waranty and I plan on avoiding anything that would get rid of the waranty.
3 REPLIES 3

jdfrench3
Level 12
With the problems you have identified, I would return the laptop for a refund or replacement.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Shadow6970,
Please PM me your SN and RMA number.
Let me check on the repair case first.
If you can provide pictures of the issues, would be really helpful.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you.

I need to replace the ribbon cable on my bottom LEDs. What one did you get? I can only find wide ribbon cables with the same numbers as this one.