cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix Scar II GL504GM - Battery to zero 0%

Marioss
Level 7
Hello,

I have Asus Rog Strix Scar II GL504GM, the issue im running into is about the battery. When my battery is below 50% (more or less) and the laptop is off, when i power it on, and it is NOT with charger on, it starts normally and when i see the log in screen, i see the battery on the down right corner on the percentage that it was before i shut it down, and sudenly goes to 0 and shuts down. And when i power it on again (with charger this time), it is 0%.

It is not draining when i shut it off, because this can be happen also if it is 50%, i shut it, and turn it on again after 15 minuts for example, so it is not drainage, also i see the percentage of the battery i had before i shuted, at least for 1 sec, so for a weird reason it remembers the % but then it goes to 0 and shuts it imediately. If it passes this second, and it not turned off, then its is ok, so sometimes it turns off, sometimes it waits for me to login as a normal boot procedure.

I have All latest windows updates, i have latest bios update 310, i am really really carefull with the laptop, not stress it, not force it, etc. I tried the tips i read on internet about fast boot, from computer or from bios or both, unistalled the Intel rapid storrage also that i read is not helping for that, also "delete" the battery from device manager so it installs its drivers again when it boots, still didnt help. The laptop is about 8 months new with extreme careful useage, and good battery charging.

Except this, the battery working fine, and this is happening once every 2-3 boots, sometimes on every boot, this is never happend when my battery was 100% charged on the last shutdown. I dont know i feel it is software issue not hardware/battery issue because it happens only sometimes not always. So guys did anyone had this issue before? can you suggest something to try? Thank tou in advance.
278 REPLIES 278

Started having this problem back in December 2020 after a windows update.
I've tried everything, clean installation, sending the battery to a technician, everything.

Since then, I've tried narrowing down the problem and I think Nvidia is the culprit.
I discovered this once when I was able to pass the login screen without having it drop to zero. For testing, I started a game, and suddenly the battery went to zero.
I disabled all Nvidia services from the device manager, but I'm still experiencing the problem.

The issue is NOT there when using Ubuntu.

PrazzyinglyGG12 wrote:
Started having this problem back in December 2020 after a windows update.
I've tried everything, clean installation, sending the battery to a technician, everything.

Since then, I've tried narrowing down the problem and I think Nvidia is the culprit.
I discovered this once when I was able to pass the login screen without having it drop to zero. For testing, I started a game, and suddenly the battery went to zero.
I disabled all Nvidia services from the device manager, but I'm still experiencing the problem.

The issue is NOT there when using Ubuntu.

As noted by someone on the previous page, they had success installing the Nvidia driver from the ASUS support page. Have you tried that driver?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
As noted by someone on the previous page, they had success installing the Nvidia driver from the ASUS support page. Have you tried that driver?

I've tried his suggestion. I've uninstalled the latest Nvidia drivers that I have and installed the one provided on the ASUS website which is from 2019.
I had to go through the process of removing Nvidia DCH drivers from the cmd and everything.
STILL THE PROBLEM EXISTS.
The problem is that It drops the battery to absolute zero. This is not good. It happened with me once that after dropping, I wasn't able to charge it back. It stays at zero plugged in not charging.
I had to go to a repair shop. He used a device to jump charge the battery to get it back to a chargeable state.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

fyi.
No idea if this can help, but there was a suggestion at the link below to uninstall One Drive for the GL731GW battery drain issue if anybody wants to look into that. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125711-GL731GW-Battery-Drains-to-0-while-shut-down

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Hi,

fyi.
No idea if this can help, but there was a suggestion at the link below to uninstall One Drive for the GL731GW battery drain issue if anybody wants to look into that. Thanks.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125711-GL731GW-Battery-Drains-to-0-while-shut-down

I've tried the suggestion in the thread and uninstalled One Drive but still the problem persists.
I updated to windows 11 to see if that would help and still I have the same problem. I didn't install anything, did a clean reset from cloud on windows 11. Still, battery drops to absolute zero as soon as I see the login screen on Windows.

garvit_chaturve
Level 7
I have a scar 2 GL504GV with the same issue I turn it off @ 100% in the night. In the morning when I wake up I first boot into bios to check and it shows 100. I let it discharge till 95 and it doesn't turn off in between but as soon as I hit the windows lock screen the battery is 0 and the laptop dies and doesn't turn on without a charger.

Yosho
Level 7
Hello.

I just solved the issue. After updating "battery" position in "Drivers Booster" app. Laptop now works and discharges normal after unpluging ac adaper.

Device Name: Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Device Class: Battery
Device Vendor: Surface
Current Version: 1.2.28.0, 23.05.2017
Available Version: ,
Hardware ID:
ACPI\VEN_PNP&DEV_0C0A
ACPI\PNP0C0A
*PNP0C0A

I've been looking into this issue for my GX502GW which exhibits a very similar problem to OP.

I think this problem might be affecting numerous other laptops in the ASUS lineup with Nvidia Optimus.

FYI - Before the below testing, my graphics mode is "Discrete" Graphics

My latest findings as per below has potentially narrowed down the issue and might provide a solution:

1) Reinstalled Windows

• Tested and reproduced issue

2) Installed only intel chipset drivers, nahimic driver and Asus Armoury Crate. Allowed Windows Update to handle the rest.

3) Downgraded BIOS from 312 to 306 using BIOS from Windows Update Catalog

4) After reproducing issue in Windows, shutdown the machine with the power cable plugged in and performed an EC reset

5) Re-configured BIOS to use SATA Mode: AHCI; Fast Boot: Disabled

6) Booted into Windows and observed that the system had automatically swapped back to Optimus mode for the graphics

• Tested and could not reproduce issue

Next I will fully charge the laptop again and drain to 68% to confirm if the issue has fully subsided. If successful, I will then swap back to "Discrete" Graphics and repeat the controlled test scenario.

What I am expecting:

• The issue not to be present on Optimus mode

• The issue will present itself in Discrete mode

AndreiPtcivil
Level 7

Hello!

Has anyone come up with a solution yet? I would be very glad to share with us if you did, because I have myself a GL704GV which has had the same problem for like 3 years.. Thank you!