cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Scar 16 (G634JZ) RTX 4080 is stuttering when using the discrete GPU

jc0426
Level 9

Got this laptop last June 15 and I noticed that when using Ultimate in GPU mode in the Armoury Crate, games are stuttering really hard to the point that it's unplayable. They're also have lower FPS when the stuttering isn't happening. One of the things I noticed it that the GPU usage fluctuates between 50-99%.

The stuttering disappears once I use Standar in GPU mode which allows me to enable advanced optimus in the nvidia control panel, but that mode is busted too because I can't control the brightness level, the screen's brightness overly bright and it hurst my eye, and my display settings are detecting 2 monitors. So I'm avoiding that mode for now too.

Games which I've obeserved the stuttering:

• Red Dead Redemption2
  • Cyberpunk 2077

I've yet to test other GPU intensive games, but so far the stuttering isn't present in games like DoTA2, Valorant or other non GPU intensive titles. I've tried using the recommended Nvidia drivers from the device's support page and clean installed my GPU drivers using DDU. I also tried fresh reinstalling windows but still nothing. I don't wanna update my BIOS though cause there seems to be an issue with ASUS laptops in updating the BIOS.

270 REPLIES 270

Im not sure why G helper is so advised these days. I had no problem with AC but I did give GH a go. The performance profiles are pulled right from the firmware level so as long as the factory default button is pressed everything should go back as Asus set from the factory.

Disabling GHelper does not restore the CPU to its default settings, which is due to the manipulation of PL1 and PL2 and saving these settings in the system registry. Searching the registry is pointless, because for some reason these entries are not associated with the name GHelper. Currently, the creator of GH has added a configuration file similar to TS, but it is not known what will change it.

MaxOrlovUA
Level 9

I'll write the option that helped me. I recently decided to put. win 10 (don't try) and started getting frequent stuttering in all games.

Returning to win11 the situation worsened.

I ran a full resolution through Bios and their ASUS servers and personally my problems disappeared. Tested in: CP2077(Ultra+RTX), Alan Wake 2 (Ultra+RTX+DLAA), SCUM… 

This may not be of much help to anyone, but this option helped me. I also want to note that you must delete AutoConnectHelper (look/search in task manager) you need to delete the folder, not just the file.

garnett215
Level 8

Just noticed Bios Version 321 is now listed as "Optional"

Version 321 was very unstable for me, hard freezing during gaming, everyday... I had to uninstall MyAsus (since it forces new Bios updates) and downgrade to Version 318. 

Anyone running Version 321 without any issues?

I do. In fact I have gone through two updates 320 and 321 without absolutely no issues. I wonder if those having issues may have had latent hardware or software  issues they were unaware of which would explain why  when updating the BIOs these problems are surging to the front?

Scar16_4090
Level 12

@Bogus5 @garnett215 @MaxOrlovUA

This thread is about "rebar stuttering", a problem in the Nvidia driver, regarding RTX 4000 laptops, so this thread is only about this and nothing else

I advice all of you to create a new thread about your issues specifically

Thank you

@Frinik22

Bios 320 was not released, asus jumped from 319 to 321

And yes bios 321 is running fine for everyone, is true 

But, there's always people spreading misinformation in the internet unfortunately, "I did this this and my pc now is fine", and the next day they are complaining about the same issue, they never learn

@Daniel_Shaw, glad to see you back, any news? Did you tried other rebar titles?

For now the problem seems to be with metro exodus and RDR 2 only, gladly 

Nvidia already aknowledged the issue, Manuel nvidia replied to me in the nvidia forum

Keep complaining every time a new driver is out, don't forget

@-Airwave-, did you correct the video? The streamable video is not working 

I wouldn't call people commenting that they have no problem ' misinformation'  unless they did it specifically to mislead other people. Plus computer problems can be attributed to a host of factors including Microsoft frequent Windows updates which often break everything, hardware malfunction due to wear and tear or manufacturing defect or poor handling and maintenance from the owner. Like you can be healthy and feel great and proclaim it opnely and then the day after you get sick out of the blue. It does not mean your spread  misinformation but circumstances can change quickly.

Re BIOs 320 I made a mistake, indeed I updated from 318 to 319 and then 321.

-Airwave-
Level 10

https://streamable.com/jmrvqn

sorry, but the videos hosted on streameable seems to lasts only 2 days, now i am registered to the platform so it should last more? if not i'll uplaod again.

-Airwave-
Level 10

It seems there are indeed other games in the wild still displaying this behaviour. On reddit I stumbled on another report about the game HITMAN 3, that apparently is still diplaying the reBAR related stuttering as of driver 546.33, the person that reported this issue has an MSI katana gf66 with RTX 3080. I already gave him all the necessary information, and he confirmed that with reBAR disabled the game runs immediatley smooth, i prompted him to imemdiately signal this issue in the nvidia official forum and reddit in the new driver's release topic.

Scar16_4090
Level 12

@jc0426 @-Airwave- @MikeyMikey @Daniel_Shaw 

NEWS

Screenshot_20240121_005059.jpg

Please folks, share your feedback ⚠️⚠️

EDIT 

About Hitman 3 

Screenshot_20240121_114016.jpg

@Frinik22, I'm not saying people are spreading misinformation because they want to mislead others in purpose, thats not what I meant, they spread misinformation because they lack the knowledge or rush everything before testing things slow and with patience 

No one should say something like this " I did this and fixed my problem" - without being 100% certain of it

@-Airwave- yeap video is working now, after you registered, thanks 💪👍👍

If it's true that hitman 3 stutters with rebar too, is simply unacceptable, I don't understand why nvidia doesn't test every rebar game available and fix the issue for good

It's difficult for a normal person to have access to all rebar supported tests, we cannot test every rebar title available, because of money and time reasons 

I really wonder if new 2024 titles will come with this issue, or they implement the Rebar fix on new titles