cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Scar 16 (G634JZ) RTX 4080 is stuttering when using the discrete GPU

jc0426
Level 9

Got this laptop last June 15 and I noticed that when using Ultimate in GPU mode in the Armoury Crate, games are stuttering really hard to the point that it's unplayable. They're also have lower FPS when the stuttering isn't happening. One of the things I noticed it that the GPU usage fluctuates between 50-99%.

The stuttering disappears once I use Standar in GPU mode which allows me to enable advanced optimus in the nvidia control panel, but that mode is busted too because I can't control the brightness level, the screen's brightness overly bright and it hurst my eye, and my display settings are detecting 2 monitors. So I'm avoiding that mode for now too.

Games which I've obeserved the stuttering:

• Red Dead Redemption2
  • Cyberpunk 2077

I've yet to test other GPU intensive games, but so far the stuttering isn't present in games like DoTA2, Valorant or other non GPU intensive titles. I've tried using the recommended Nvidia drivers from the device's support page and clean installed my GPU drivers using DDU. I also tried fresh reinstalling windows but still nothing. I don't wanna update my BIOS though cause there seems to be an issue with ASUS laptops in updating the BIOS.

270 REPLIES 270

I think I'm too dumb for this kind of operation. I don't know how to use this file lol. How do i record logs? Oh and I'm currentyly on BIOS 321 btw

Tested Red Dead redemption 2 on my Rog Scar 18 - G834JY. Bios 321,  drivers 546.17, Windows 11.

Bad performance and insane framerate fluctuations, with both API's. Disabling Rebar does not solve the problem this time,  enabling it slightly improves performance, but issue remains.  DX12 gave me frequent crashes with reBAR off,  i could not test it with it disabled. In game Performance are way below what they should be, but strangely capframe x does not report stuttering at the least in the zone i tested,.  So the problem may be of different nature than the one that afflicted cyberpunk?

All settings put manually to medium,

1920x1080

water physics and grass sliders set to 1 (first step), geometry detail slider to the max.

Vsync off - triple buffering off, no dlss or fsr.

Vulkan - reBAR off

Average: 33,8 fps

Max:125,4fps

Minimum: 13,9 fps

Vulkan reBAR on

Average: 43 fps

Max:132,8 fps

Min:13,2 fps

DX12 - reBAR on

Average: 29,9 fps

Max: 191 fps

Min: 0,43 fps

-Airwave-
Level 10

My understanding is that in standard mode and optimized mode, data IS STILL routed through the igpu, and this is why you don't need to reboot the system when it passes from iGPU to the dGPU as is the case when you select the "ultimate" gpu mode. I cannot find a precise quote on this, but i'm also quite sure that the highest TDP (175W in my case) is ever only acheivable in Ultimate mode. So Games should perform better in ultimate mode, and i find it strange that in my latest sets of tests my laptop is not. However i am tired of researching, i'm just happy that the stuttering mess was solved in CP2077 as it was not playable in that state, and i hope that it gets solved for other games too as i see other still experiencing it in RDR2. Lucky me that i already played that game on my old desktop pc i guess...

"My understanding is that in standard mode and optimized mode, data IS STILL routed through the igpu, and this is why you don't need to reboot the system when it passes from iGPU to the dGPU as is the case when you select the "ultimate" gpu mode"

From what I know that is correct.   There are many possible reasons for dropouts.  First thing I suspect is software - where something is polling the GPU or the CPU OR clamping/limiting frame rates.

I usually start in the same places.  Check the system log for errors.   Check the OS system files for errors -  A simple stem many miss doing.  Check storage for errors or problems.  Transfer a large file and watch transfer speeds.   Shut down all unneeded startup programs.  (or all of them and add them back one at a time if the problem goes away) Check network for drops,   put Virus/malware  in "game

Nvidia and asus are the ones that need to troubleshooting the issue

As you can see nvidia fixed the issue on 2 games with a new driver 

Obviously, nvidia and asus are the only ones who can fix this, with a driver or a bios update or something... 

Thanks for your amazing feedback airwave! 

Like i said a few posts above you, if nvidia only fixed the Rebar stuttering on 2 games, from a list of 22 games that support rebar, that will keep on increasing year after year, this is just unacceptable... 

I advice everyone affected by this to refund their laptops

People waited months for a fix and they only fixed 2 games? Are you kidding me?

Right now im busy playing hogwarts but jc0426, the dude who created this thread, was playing ac mirage, ac mirage supports rebar, does the new driver fix the rebar issue? Maybe he can answer that

P.S - airwave you have mini led screen?

P.S 2 - everytime a new Nvidia driver is out, nvidia creates an official thread on reddit, guru 3d, nvidia forum

I advice everyone to keep posting about this rebar issue on those threads 

Scar16_4090
Level 12

Screenshot_20231125_225623.jpg

Airwave, jc0426, Mikeymikey do this!

And everyone with stutter with rebar! 

Send PM to Anbby_ROG

Link 

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/FAAE0E51D2CB43CCB7C7AC061733AE224

P.S

Also please keep posting on nvidia driver threads, everytime a new driver is out, nvidia creates a thread on r/nvidia, official nvidia forum and guru 3d forum 

Those 3 threads have nvidia employees engineers who check those 3 threads for bugs and user feedback

Thanks for the info! Will definitely do that. Just a while ago, I found another game I have—Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, also a rebar game—and it was stuttering like crazy in Ultimate mode. I'll record the stutter on my end and PM Anbby_ROG.

Thank you MikeyMikey, also please keep posting on nvidia driver threads, everytime a new driver is out, nvidia creates a thread on r/nvidia, official nvidia forum and guru 3d forum 

Those 3 threads have nvidia employees engineers who check those 3 threads for bugs and user feedback

P.S 3 questions

1) do you have 4800 or 5600 ram?

2) are you using bios 321?

3) do you have miniled screen?