cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Scar 16 (G634JZ) RTX 4080 is stuttering when using the discrete GPU

jc0426
Level 9

Got this laptop last June 15 and I noticed that when using Ultimate in GPU mode in the Armoury Crate, games are stuttering really hard to the point that it's unplayable. They're also have lower FPS when the stuttering isn't happening. One of the things I noticed it that the GPU usage fluctuates between 50-99%.

The stuttering disappears once I use Standar in GPU mode which allows me to enable advanced optimus in the nvidia control panel, but that mode is busted too because I can't control the brightness level, the screen's brightness overly bright and it hurst my eye, and my display settings are detecting 2 monitors. So I'm avoiding that mode for now too.

Games which I've obeserved the stuttering:

• Red Dead Redemption2
  • Cyberpunk 2077

I've yet to test other GPU intensive games, but so far the stuttering isn't present in games like DoTA2, Valorant or other non GPU intensive titles. I've tried using the recommended Nvidia drivers from the device's support page and clean installed my GPU drivers using DDU. I also tried fresh reinstalling windows but still nothing. I don't wanna update my BIOS though cause there seems to be an issue with ASUS laptops in updating the BIOS.

269 REPLIES 269

Glad it's working for you.

I'll leave a direct link to the driver for anyone else: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/216465/en-us/

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

The problem is only fixed on 2 games, SF and CP2077

Its been almost 6 months, what about the other 20 games with rebar support? 

MissAshex
Level 8

Cyberpunk still stuttering on driver 546.17 https://youtu.be/-0IvV5Wefxc?si=smQyr-cPCuZZV4hw

If it's fixed it for others, it's most likely you've got something else going on with the system that isn't attributed to the same problem.

1. Consider using DDU before installing the newest build.

2. Reinstalling the OS.

3. Update the UEFI to latest version if not having done so already.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

The problem is gone for me, it’s fixed with latest nvidia driver. Frametime is really smooth now on ultimate gpu mode.

Only works on 2 games, CP2077 and SF

The other 20 games with rebar sill stutter 

P.S Do you have miniled screen? 

garnett215
Level 8

In terms of the stutter issue everything is back to normal. 

The steps I took were

1.  DDU
  2. System ISO restore (keep all files)
  3. Installed GPU drivers from Asus 
  4. Downloaded and installed latest NV drivers directly from the website

That being said. I now have a new issue since updating to BIOS 321. The laptop has experienced four hard freezes; two while using Youtube, two upon launching Cyberpunk and Starfield. I haven't encountered a BSOD/hard freeze since launch. The freeze occurred with latest NV drivers and the diver version that preceded it.  I think this is BIOS, and Ultimate mode mixed use related. I haven't tested Standard mode yet. But this is definitely launch behavior. 

Did you rolledback the bios?

Whats your laptop model? 

stichpimpuli
Level 9

I'm glad to hear that your problem with the re bar in ultimate mode has been fixed.

I've now tested Far Cry 6 in ultimate mode and it doesn't stutter anymore!

So i think this this thread is solved.

I opened a new thread for MW3 ! https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-strix-series/g634jy-4090-modern-warfare-3-mw3-is-stuttering-dropou... 

-Airwave-
Level 10

Just a final question. Is it normal that i have the exact same performance in both "standard" and "ultimate" gpu modes now? isn't the ultimate gpu mode supposed to bring higher performance due to the higher TDP and the activation of the MUX switch (so no more routing of the data through the integrated GPU)?  in my previous benchmarks i posted before  in cyberpunk 2077 i could detect an advantage of 13 fps in average fps going from "standard" gpu mode (reBAR active) to "ultimate" (reBAR disabled). The logic dictates that if there was an advantage like that despite the reBAR disabled, it should all the more present with reBAR active. What am i missing?