cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

Sprayingmango wrote:
Oh also, does anyone know the maximum refresh rate monitor you can plug into the HDMI port? I have an extra PG279Q monitor here and plugged it in to the laptop. It locks the refresh rate to 60Hz even though it's a 144Hz G-Sync display. I would have thought it could push 144Hz easily out of the HDMI port on the machine.

No 120Hz tops and it depends on which version of HDMI for both devices and the cable, better to use the Display Port.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
No 120Hz tops and it depends on which version of HDMI for both devices and the cable, better to use the Display Port.

Q-6

Oh right! Thanks for the info, I forgot about the HDMI limitation in that regard.

Ramahi89
Level 7
Hello all,

Mind if i ask about my case, Check the attachment.
(its for a session of playing (BF1-Multiplayer) _ Settings set as ultra preset Dx 12, HDR off. (FPS - range between 100-120) For about 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Do i need to worry that these temperatures? will they affect the laptop on the long run?. I bought this laptop for Work/ light gaming (maybe 1 hour or 2 hours tops non-frequent).
Should i do the same steps or similar to Queen6's or KhuloodF's recommendations?

Thank you,

98 degrees is very hot... Consider undervolting, cooling pad or thermal compund replacement.

undervolt maybe the best option

1. warranty may void when repasting; depends on asus repaste policy on your country
2. 3rd party thermal paste may dry out after 2-3-4 months; could be due to different factors;air, pressure gap, excessive temperature drying out the grease faster, etc.

with undervolt im getting 80-90 degree max during gaming.

So I got this machine a while back and experienced the same high thermals and impact on performance others did. Have done the following:

- Updated the firmware/bios.
- Undervolted the CPU Core & Cache (can't get deeper than -51.3 mV without errors at 12M in TS Bench).
- Undervolted the iGPU (left it at -49.8 mV which saw advised for this).
- Undervolted the GPU (1900 Mhz @ .912 mV with a smoothed out curve preceding this, wasn't able to get lower than 1840 Mhz @ .868 without BSODs).
- Power Plan locked to Balanced in the Registry.
- Armoury Crate profile set to Turbo as default.
- Cooling pad and raised off desk.
- OS optimised with unneeded apps & services etc removed.
- Using Razer Cortex (probably not necessary) to boost game performance (frees up RAM, kills various background services during gaming).

Still not entirely happy with thermals as it regularly goes into the 90s in games like Apex Legends or Vermintide II. Also performance is good but still not sure it's as good as it should be given the spec.

Anything else anyone can think of to maximise performance vs thermals on this machine short of a thermal repaste as Asus Support have said in the UK that would definitely void the warranty? Does changing the memory clock make any difference?

ripsa wrote:
So I got this machine a while back and experienced the same high thermals and impact on performance others did. Have done the following:

- Updated the firmware/bios.
- Undervolted the CPU Core & Cache (can't get deeper than -51.3 mV without errors at 12M in TS Bench).
- Undervolted the iGPU (left it at -49.8 mV which saw advised for this).
- Undervolted the GPU (1900 Mhz @ .912 mV with a smoothed out curve preceding this, wasn't able to get lower than 1840 Mhz @ .868 without BSODs).
- Power Plan locked to Balanced in the Registry.
- Armoury Crate profile set to Turbo as default.
- Cooling pad and raised off desk.
- OS optimised with unneeded apps & services etc removed.
- Using Razer Cortex (probably not necessary) to boost game performance (frees up RAM, kills various background services during gaming).

Still not entirely happy with thermals as it regularly goes into the 90s in games like Apex Legends or Vermintide II. Also performance is good but still not sure it's as good as it should be given the spec.

Anything else anyone can think of to maximise performance vs thermals on this machine short of a thermal repaste as Asus Support have said in the UK that would definitely void the warranty? Does changing the memory clock make any difference?

Hi, can you send me msi afterburner profile? or make at least a screenshot to copy your settings...

my 504gs runs very hot. Like it reaches 85 degrees on idle on silent setting on the asus rog panel and in gaming it reaches to about 97 degrees which causes the games to lag alot and it is not a good experience at all. in bf5 on low settings i get around 40-55 fps on the average and microstutters alot. I even have repasted with the noctua h1 thermal paste but no difference but it runs hotter than before now. I have undervolted to about -100.6 but still no improvement in thermal or in performance. Please help.

ultraharrysingh7 wrote:
my 504gs runs very hot. Like it reaches 85 degrees on idle on silent setting on the asus rog panel and in gaming it reaches to about 97 degrees which causes the games to lag alot and it is not a good experience at all. in bf5 on low settings i get around 40-55 fps on the average and microstutters alot. I even have repasted with the noctua h1 thermal paste but no difference but it runs hotter than before now. I have undervolted to about -100.6 but still no improvement in thermal or in performance. Please help.

That's actually really bad. Maybe the thermal paste application didn't work as intended. Try to reapply it and see if you get some better thermals. The other thing you could do is to reduce the frecuency of the cores to 36, and lower the turbo boost power limit to 26.