cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

KhuloodF wrote:
So Update with BFV:

Game is on highest settings at 1080 P x 144 HZ resolution, I capped FPS at 120 because after that is just superfluous for me.

Game ran like butter during actual game play- temps stayed well into high 60s and mid 70s. FPS Average hovered around 90.

The only time I noticed a slight stutter is when the pre-made game sequences would load. I would have a moment where it would stop, and then go on as if nothing happened. It only happened once.

This is a huge, huge, huge improvement. When I first launched BFV without any tweaking I was in high 80s-low 90s.

Just for kicks and giggles I decided to lift the frame cap off Overwatch and play on Ultra settings, temps never went past 75 with 120 FPS average.

I would imagine I won't play anything more intensive than BFV on my laptop anytime soon, so I'm super happy, performance wise and temp wise.

Like I said, I may not be getting "max" overclocking or blah blah blah, but for the casual gamer like me: A steady FPS of around 80-120 for games with temps in the 70s in the most intensive game is a win in my book.

Again, keep in mind I do have an under laptop cooler as well as three side fans to help with air circulation. I'm sure that also is making some semblance of a difference. But I really only saw this major, consistent, drop after all these internal tweaks.

Thank you guys so freaking much for all your help!

Wow you are lucky guy. Tbh i dont have the exact same rig like you . I have a GL504GM Hero 2. i7 8750 H, 8gb RAM (single Channel), GTX 1060, WIN 10.
I undervolted CPU to -0,085, intel GPU to -0,075, GPU to -0,088 and capped the CPU Core Frequency to 3,7Ghz and i still get temps in the low 80´s on basically low settings and with the FPS limited to 60 in the BF V settings (this kept the temps "low" as well).
I know that when i buy another 8gb of RAM for dual channel i will get a nice FPS boost in games with high CPU usage (like BFV). But with higher FPS the temps will rise as well espacially in CPU intensive games and dont forget that with the Laptop gets older the temps tend to get worse.
On top of that ASUS Laptops are not undervolting friendly, that would have been a at least a nice move of ASUS as the Cooling solutions is so bad. So i am very tempted to sell it on ebay as the ASUS support wont do s.hit. With the money i will my an MSI i think . They have the best cooling solution on the market and they are undervolting friendly. Actually i dont want to do repasting, i read to much storys of newbies (like i am one) doing it and the temps went through the roof after that.

So glad you got one of those few ASUS laptops which arent a complete mess.

I really do hope that it's not a fluke and will disappear or cause crashes later on.

Just got off a 3 hour gaming session...what's interesting to note is that I had my laptop on battery saver mode (just letting the battery drain a bit since it's been a few days since I allowed it to), and forgot and started gaming. Throttlestop was disabled and overwatch temps automatically went into the 80s and refused to come down.

Stopped the game and relaunched throttlestop....immediately temps went back to low 70s-high 60s and didn't go higher for the rest of the 3 hours.

I genuinely think it's the tweaking that's making the difference...keep pushing around. It took me about 4 days to find a happy spot for the computer.

And do download GPU TWEAK II. It has the option to set the max GPU Temp limit. I keep mine at 77 and see no performance issues on my end.

mp271901 wrote:
Wow you are lucky guy. Tbh i dont have the exact same rig like you . I have a GL504GM Hero 2. i7 8750 H, 8gb RAM (single Channel), GTX 1060, WIN 10.
I undervolted CPU to -0,085, intel GPU to -0,075, GPU to -0,088 and capped the CPU Core Frequency to 3,7Ghz and i still get temps in the low 80´s on basically low settings and with the FPS limited to 60 in the BF V settings (this kept the temps "low" as well).
I know that when i buy another 8gb of RAM for dual channel i will get a nice FPS boost in games with high CPU usage (like BFV). But with higher FPS the temps will rise as well espacially in CPU intensive games and dont forget that with the Laptop gets older the temps tend to get worse.
On top of that ASUS Laptops are not undervolting friendly, that would have been a at least a nice move of ASUS as the Cooling solutions is so bad. So i am very tempted to sell it on ebay as the ASUS support wont do s.hit. With the money i will my an MSI i think . They have the best cooling solution on the market and they are undervolting friendly. Actually i dont want to do repasting, i read to much storys of newbies (like i am one) doing it and the temps went through the roof after that.

So glad you got one of those few ASUS laptops which arent a complete mess.

Works both ways my GL703GS has been a solid performer from day one. My MSI Raider, not even close and a PIA to get it run cool, even then. Next MSI I'd buy would be a GS 75, pity upgrades are such headache as the board is inverted.

Your certainly going to see temps rise with dual channel RAM. Undervolting the Intel GPU wont do anything for gaming and similar to the CPU you need to match values or it's ignored (System Agent I think).

In your situation I'd ensure the rear of the notebook is elevated of the desk or on a cooling pad. Undervolt and test with TS for a stable undervolt, then reduce the Turbo Limits in FIVR by a factor of 3, so max for all cores being 3.6GHz. It's all about the balance, 8750H can pull 60W 3.9GHZ or it can pull 90W at 3.9GHz depending what's being thrown at it, as it's all very far from being linear.

Problem is BF V is pushing both CPU & GPU, have you looked at MSI Afterburner many have had a lot of success in getting more FPS and cooler temps, by creating custom profile power curves, it may even be possible DL one. As I often say the system needs to be 100% first and foremost to get the best out such notebooks, if not it just adds endless complications. TBH low 80C is to be expected, small box, big power and all. I'd be inclined to reset the computer and start form scratch, at idle mine is down to 1% CPU load as I don't want apps running in the background, unless needed.

GL703GS, 8750H, GTX 1070, 32Gb CL19 @ 2666, NVMe & SSHD (out soon for 2TB Evo 860). Windows 10 Pro 1809, -140mV Undervolt (ThrottleStop), stock thermal paste, GPU stock settings (don't fix what isn't broken)

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
Works both ways my GL703GS has been a solid performer from day one. My MSI Raider, not even close and a PIA to get it run cool, even then. Next MSI I'd buy would be a GS 75, pity upgrades are such headache as the board is inverted.

Your certainly going to see temps rise with dual channel RAM. Undervolting the Intel GPU wont do anything for gaming and similar to the CPU you need to match values or it's ignored (System Agent I think).

In your situation I'd ensure the rear of the notebook is elevated of the desk or on a cooling pad. Undervolt and test with TS for a stable undervolt, then reduce the Turbo Limits in FIVR by a factor of 3, so max for all cores being 3.6GHz. It's all about the balance, 8750H can pull 60W 3.9GHZ or it can pull 90W at 3.9GHz depending what's being thrown at it, as it's all very far from being linear.

Problem is BF V is pushing both CPU & GPU, have you looked at MSI Afterburner many have had a lot of success in getting more FPS and cooler temps, by creating custom profile power curves, it may even be possible DL one. As I often say the system needs to be 100% first and foremost to get the best out such notebooks, if not it just adds endless complications. TBH low 80C is to be expected, small box, big power and all. I'd be inclined to reset the computer and start form scratch, at idle mine is down to 1% CPU load as I don't want apps running in the background, unless needed.

GL703GS, 8750H, GTX 1070, 32Gb CL19 @ 2666, NVMe & SSHD (out soon for 2TB Evo 860). Windows 10 Pro 1809, -140mV Undervolt (ThrottleStop), stock thermal paste, GPU stock settings (don't fix what isn't broken)

Q-6

Thanks man. Idk when i decided to buy a gaming laptop, i knew there had to be done some adjustments (undervolting etc.) but i never expected such a forth and back especially for the price and the kind of decent reviews which i found on the internet.

According to your throttlestop settings:

you left Speedshift unchecked at 128 (the temps staying decent with that). When i am doing this the CPU´s core frequency is flactuating a lot betwen 3,9GHz and 3GHz, which causes FPS drops because sometimes when its on e.g. 3.3Ghz actually 3.9Ghz s needed.

You said you put the Core clock to 3,6Ghz. I know the temps will stay pretty low, wont that cause FPS drops because the game e.g. BFV needs the full core frequency?

Which Win 10 energy options do you use alsways? I assume balanced mode and you put the slider on better performance?

Regards

mp271901 wrote:
Thanks man. Idk when i decided to buy a gaming laptop, i knew there had to be done some adjustments (undervolting etc.) but i never expected such a forth and back especially for the price and the kind of decent reviews which i found on the internet.

According to your throttlestop settings:

you left Speedshift unchecked at 128 (the temps staying decent with that). When i am doing this the CPU´s core frequency is flactuating a lot betwen 3,9GHz and 3GHz, which causes FPS drops because sometimes when its on e.g. 3.3Ghz actually 3.9Ghz s needed.

You said you put the Core clock to 3,6Ghz. I know the temps will stay pretty low, wont that cause FPS drops because the game e.g. BFV needs the full core frequency?

Which Win 10 energy options do you use alsways? I assume balanced mode and you put the slider on better performance?

Regards

3.6GHZ will reduce the temp, cant have it both ways 🙂 A small reduction in CPU frequency shouldn't effect the game too much, yet will reduce the temp by affair margin. Have you tried setting W10 to Best Performance, should bring up the CPU frequency, as it sets Speed Shift EPP to 0

Yep balanced with the slider on Better Performance, if I need more set ROG to Overboost and the slider to Best Performance.

Q-6

Hey Guys,

I have a GL504GM Hero 2 and i was tweeking around a bit and figured out that my temps of the CPU stayed quite decent with the Core Clock locked to 3,7GHz and undervolted to -0,085. My question is, how much is the full potential of the i7 8750H really needed these days (3,9Ghz)? Because i am thinking i have paid for the full i7 (3,9Ghz) and now i have to stick to 3,7GHz (200MHz less) less because of bad thermal management. Will the 200MHz make much of a difference in the future?

Thanks guys

mp271901 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have a GL504GM Hero 2 and i was tweeking around a bit and figured out that my temps of the CPU stayed quite decent with the Core Clock locked to 3,7GHz and undervolted to -0,085. My question is, how much is the full potential of the i7 8750H really needed these days (3,9Ghz)? Because i am thinking i have paid for the full i7 (3,9Ghz) and now i have to stick to 3,7GHz (200MHz less) less because of bad thermal management. Will the 200MHz make much of a difference in the future?

Thanks guys

What's guaranteed by intel is the base CPU frequency, Turbo is something else. If your getting 3.7GHz it's decent performance, another 200MHz will not add up to much. You may be able to push to 3.9GHz, equally it may mot be worth the trade off. More likely the CPU is being limited by the enforced PL-1 limit than the thermals.

Q-6

odavl123 wrote:
Howdy!

So yesterday i found my uV limit and its -72 to still pass the TS bench without any errors.
Btw this is my third laptop in 4 months, 1st one being Xiaomi somethingsomething and i returned it becaus of overheating (im not over exaggerating, becous people at service were stunned by the temp.), then i took Alienware 17 r4 (badas.s. yeah!) well on this laptop, after just 4 days got his motherboard fried (ohh happy days)...now i have Scar II rtx, and to be honest i think this one is also going back. Reason is, really bad bad SSHD speed, below 100MB/s read, if i remember correctly it was around 60MB/s, next thing Wi-fi...omg wifi!!! the old laptop, that is still functional and i still have WoW installed works good no latecy, youtube runs super, utorrent crazy fast, on the new one blah so much latecy you wont belive also download speed is all over the place, from 50kb/s to 3MB/s if there is sun outside xD, and i did everything possible, from rolling back windows to uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, praying to the god damn gods of computing 😮 !!!
And the next thing, that bums me the most of all is the temperatures, yes i understand that this is gaming laptop and it runs hot and spikes can go to 100°c, but this is too much even after uV the average temp. is 86°c+ and also that would be great if the cpu clock wouldnt go to 2.9GHz.
So laptop for 2,1k and no way that it works out of the box as intended, so its going back and demand a new one.
What you guys/gals think?

ps.: this laptop dosent feel like 2100€ machine!
(No idea if this is for this tread, if you feel its not i will remove)

Best regards!

I've observed odd SSHD speeds during some bench testing, however in real life the performance is where I expect it to be. If CPU is around 85C it should be capable of a lot more frequency than 2.9GHz. So something else is holding it back. WiFI don't know might be as simple as a conflict with the router.

Although the intermediate model Strix 17" performance is not an issue
SSD
SSHD
You either chose to work with it, or return it for a replacement or get another notebook.

Q-6

settings of CPU core, CPU cache, Intel GPU, and iGPU Unslice should be same. If you UV it to -100mV then all these options should have same settings as your CPU and CACHE specially should be identitacal to avoid crashing

Queen6 wrote:
XTU may be interfering with the Gaming Center resulting in the crashes, as it too uses the XTU service. Better to use ThrottleStop with a delayed start up (2 min) IMO. Undervolting the CPU you have very little to lose, possibly a lot to gain. You can also reduce the Turbo Ratio Limits in ThrottleStop as unless the game is CPU bound, few need such performance as the 8750H offers. Better to establish a stable undervolt first.

I've an ROG GL703GS and it hardly reaches 85C when fully loaded, with a -140mV undervolt (CPU in isolation 75C). Your going to need to spend some time on the ThrottleStop forums, although the basics are easy to pick up. As long as you set a stable undervolt the system will not crash, BSOD etc.

Match Core & Cache offset values, say starting at -80mV and drop until you reach the point of stability. ThrottleStop has a built in test (TS bench) if your seeing any errors in TS bench (1024M) the undervolt is too deep, the Core & Cache voltage needs to be increased. I use my systems for work purpose I generally find lowest value then come back up 10mV to ensure stability.

Each CPU is unique, so there's no way to present an optimal value. My GL703GS can go as deep as -153mV, although to ensure stability I run it with an offset of -140mV it has yet to crash or BSOD etc. in over six months of heavy use, on all performance profiles or battery.

Doubts? -140mV undervolt,Turbo limits unlocked, CPU PL-1 reset to 65W, default being 45W. Under Prime95 Small FFT stress test CPU remains to be in limits with no thermal throttling...

Q-6

Hello,

i have a question according to TS bench. After i run it with 1024M i sometimes get a green number and sometimes i get a red number as a result. And of course sometimes i get an error, but the meaniing behind that is obvious. But what does the green and red numbers say? When i get a red number does it mean that the system is not stable?

Regards

i have a question