Oh also, does anyone know the maximum refresh rate monitor you can plug into the HDMI port? I have an extra PG279Q monitor here and plugged it in to the laptop. It locks the refresh rate to 60Hz even though it's a 144Hz G-Sync display. I would have thought it could push 144Hz easily out of the HDMI port on the machine.
No 120Hz tops and it depends on which version of HDMI for both devices and the cable, better to use the Display Port.
So I got this machine a while back and experienced the same high thermals and impact on performance others did. Have done the following:
- Updated the firmware/bios.
- Undervolted the CPU Core & Cache (can't get deeper than -51.3 mV without errors at 12M in TS Bench).
- Undervolted the iGPU (left it at -49.8 mV which saw advised for this).
- Undervolted the GPU (1900 Mhz @ .912 mV with a smoothed out curve preceding this, wasn't able to get lower than 1840 Mhz @ .868 without BSODs).
- Power Plan locked to Balanced in the Registry.
- Armoury Crate profile set to Turbo as default.
- Cooling pad and raised off desk.
- OS optimised with unneeded apps & services etc removed.
- Using Razer Cortex (probably not necessary) to boost game performance (frees up RAM, kills various background services during gaming).
Still not entirely happy with thermals as it regularly goes into the 90s in games like Apex Legends or Vermintide II. Also performance is good but still not sure it's as good as it should be given the spec.
Anything else anyone can think of to maximise performance vs thermals on this machine short of a thermal repaste as Asus Support have said in the UK that would definitely void the warranty? Does changing the memory clock make any difference?
my 504gs runs very hot. Like it reaches 85 degrees on idle on silent setting on the asus rog panel and in gaming it reaches to about 97 degrees which causes the games to lag alot and it is not a good experience at all. in bf5 on low settings i get around 40-55 fps on the average and microstutters alot. I even have repasted with the noctua h1 thermal paste but no difference but it runs hotter than before now. I have undervolted to about -100.6 but still no improvement in thermal or in performance. Please help.