cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

mp271901 wrote:
Sure

Despite creating that curve in MSI Afterburner, not ever able to amp up past 1640 MHZ 😞

KhuloodF wrote:
Despite creating that curve in MSI Afterburner, not ever able to amp up past 1640 MHZ 😞

are you using msi afterburner and asus gpu tweak together? in that case it may be interfering

harshil wrote:
are you using msi afterburner and asus gpu tweak together? in that case it may be interfering

I turned off GPU Tweak and released the thermal throttle setting at 77 degrees back to standard. When I tried to create that curve and launch overwatch, it worked great until after a 2 minutes when overwatch crashed and said "graphics card not detected"...or sometimes I'd just get a BSOD. I wonder if either the voltage is too low or the clock is too high. Even when lowing the MHZ to 1800ish, I'd still get that error.

Also, when I use the OC Scanner, I get the BSOD. I figured it's probably due to my aggressive undervolt...but then again, if it's to the CPU, why would that matter?

KhuloodF wrote:
I turned off GPU Tweak and released the thermal throttle setting at 77 degrees back to standard. When I tried to create that curve and launch overwatch, it worked great until after a 2 minutes when overwatch crashed and said "graphics card not detected"...or sometimes I'd just get a BSOD. I wonder if either the voltage is too low or the clock is too high. Even when lowing the MHZ to 1800ish, I'd still get that error.

Also, when I use the OC Scanner, I get the BSOD. I figured it's probably due to my aggressive undervolt...but then again, if it's to the CPU, why would that matter?

i would reset to default gpu in msi afterburner then proceed with the OC scanner, using the chart as a reference. i got bsod when i did not reset the gpu to default and then used oc scanner on the curve i created

KhuloodF wrote:

Keep in mind that i have a GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM. I guess you have RTX Card?

Hi guys
Please help me. I wanted to buy an ASUS GL704GV rtx2060 laptop, but I had a question before buying.
I had already bought a gl503ge model that had a coil whine problem.
I wanted to know GL704gv model has this problem or has been resolved?
Thanks

sorry for my bad english

Hi,

Just bought GL704 RTX2060. I can get down to -57.6mV only. More than that will get an error on the TS Bench.

UPDATE:-
I have to increased to -52.7mV to get TS Bench to worked on 1024M

Managed to undervolt to -79.1mV error free when Turbo Ratio Limits @ 35.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
I just picked up a Strix SCAR II GL504GW with the RTX2070 in it yesterday. I love the laptop, it has some amazing build quality and performance for a $1600 machine. The fans do spin up and the CPU will hit 95*C with the GPU at 78*C while gaming. Is that normal for a gaming laptop like this? This is the first legit gaming laptop I've ever bought so this is new to me. I've always gamed exclusively on desktops, I just got this thing to mess around with and game while traveling.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Oh also, does anyone know the maximum refresh rate monitor you can plug into the HDMI port? I have an extra PG279Q monitor here and plugged it in to the laptop. It locks the refresh rate to 60Hz even though it's a 144Hz G-Sync display. I would have thought it could push 144Hz easily out of the HDMI port on the machine.