cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

Queen6 wrote:
Here - Package Power 60W

After 28 seconds it will drop to the PL-1 limit of 45W, if TDP is reduced it will drop to 32W, on battery something like 28W etc. If TDP down is not working check that in TS FIVR Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits isn't checked as this breaks the TDP down feature.

Q-6

Thanks i will give it test :).

I deleted the TS.ini file but the box with "lock" in the TPL window is still grey and i cant uncheck it. I deinstalled TS completely but it is still checked. Any suggestions here?

Or on the other hand, what effect will that have, when i leave it like that?

Regards

mp271901 wrote:

I deleted the TS.ini file but the box with "lock" in the TPL window is still grey and i cant uncheck it. I deinstalled TS completely but it is still checked. Any suggestions here?

Regards

Try fully shutting down the computer - Hold down left shift key, then shutdown keeping the shift key down until fully off, should fix that. TS remains persistent unless the system is fully shutdown. Effect is you'll be locked out of that section of TS.

n.b. Updated previous post

Q-6

mp271901 wrote:

Regards

You need to fully shut down Windows - Hold down the left Shift key, then Shutdown the computer, keep the Shift held down until the computer is fully off/4

Why? ThrottleStop settings are persistent unless you do a full shutdown of W10.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
Here - Package Power 60W

After 28 seconds it will drop to the PL-1 enforced limit of 45W, if TDP is reduced it will drop to 35W, on battery something like 28W etc. If TDP down is not working check that in TS FIVR Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits isn't checked as this breaks the TDP down feature.

Mine is a Strix (GL703GS, to be exact it's a S7BS8750)

Note W10 power plan also has control via Speed Shift EPP, so want absolute max need to switch ROG to Overboost and W10 to Best Performance

Q-6

Could explain to me how do you set the TDP to 35W? I have win10 energy options on better performance and fan mode on Balanced but i still get 45W.

Do i have to do something else?

mp271901 wrote:
Could explain to me how do you set the TDP to 35W? I have win10 energy options on better performance and fan mode on Balanced but i still get 45W.

Do i have to do something else?

It's a feature of the notebook from ROG. if your notebook doesn't have the same option from ROG you can always set the Windows Power Slider to Best Battery Life as that should reduce the CPU's TDP.

My GL703GS has 3 power/cooling profiles;

1 - Silent CPU TDP 35W, reduced dGPU performance

2- Balanced CPU TDP 45W, full dGPU performance

3 - Overboost CPU TDP 45W, dGPU mild overclock (5% - 10%)

In older titles such as F.E.A.R. there's little point in the notebook rendering literally 1K FPS, better to limit via TDP and FPS lock. Cool and quiet it is 🙂 Modern titles obviously more demanding. Key is striking the balance between FPS & temperature, your in game experience will be far better and easier on the hardware.

I'm open to questions, as I'm happy to help others within reason. I mostly use my ROG GL703GS for professional purpose, equally I like to game when I have the chance :cool:

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
It's a feature of the notebook from ROG. if your notebook doesn't have the same option from ROG you can always set the Windows Power Slider to Best Battery Life as that should reduce the CPU's TDP.

My GL703GS has 3 power/cooling profiles;

1 - Silent CPU TDP 35W, reduced dGPU performance

2- Balanced CPU TDP 45W, full dGPU performance

3 - Overboost CPU TDP 45W, dGPU mild overclock (5% - 10%)

In older titles such as F.E.A.R. there's little point in the notebook rendering literally 1K FPS, better to limit via TDP and FPS lock. Cool and quiet it is 🙂 Modern titles obviously more demanding. Key is striking the balance between FPS & temperature, your in game experience will be far better and easier on the hardware.

I'm open to questions, as I'm happy to help others within reason. I mostly use my ROG GL703GS for professional purpose, equally I like to game when I have the chance :cool:

Q-6

Ah ok i tried it and i got 35W with the silent fan settings but still got 70W shown in HWInfo with the Balanced and Overboost fans. Do you have an explanation for that?

Btw could it be that BFV is not well optimized, at least on some maps? Because i gave my Laptop the full power (Overboost, speedshift at 0, highest clocks possible) with -0,079 undervolt. I put the settings on medium-high and on low. Both settings only gave me FPS around 60. FPS Limit was set to 200. But with Battlefront 2 which runs with almost the same graphics engine i get 90 FPS avg. with medium-High settings.

My Rig:GL504GM Hero 2: i7-8750H; GTX 1060 6gbVRAM; 8GB Ram; Win 10; 60Hz panel

According to my headline:

When i was playing Battlefront 2 I got 90FPS AVG on Medium-Hgh settings as i said before. But i only have a 60Hz panel, so it wasnt smooth, because of tearing. So i put V-Sync on and of course the FPS have to be constantly above the monitors refresh rate, otherwise you will face massive FPS drops. But i had 90FPS constantly. So as i turned it on the FPS were stuck to 60 as it should be and it was buttering smooth. But i recognized that the Wattage pulled by the CPU decreased to 21W in avg. Which causes a massive Temps drop from 78 degrees to 68 degrees.

So bottom line, if you have temp issues while pushing you CPU to its limits, but got also AVG FPS above you monitors refreshrate, thats a absolute must have requirement!!!!, then turn on V-Sync to drop the temps.

The first time i am happy to have only a 60Hz Panel 😄

mp271901 wrote:
Ah ok i tried it and i got 35W with the silent fan settings but still got 70W shown in HWInfo with the Balanced and Overboost fans. Do you have an explanation for that?

Btw could it be that BFV is not well optimized, at least on some maps? Because i gave my Laptop the full power (Overboost, speedshift at 0, highest clocks possible) with -0,079 undervolt. I put the settings on medium-high and on low. Both settings only gave me FPS around 60. FPS Limit was set to 200. But with Battlefront 2 which runs with almost the same graphics engine i get 90 FPS avg. with medium-High settings.

My Rig:GL504GM Hero 2: i7-8750H; GTX 1060 6gbVRAM; 8GB Ram; Win 10; 60Hz panel

According to my headline:

When i was playing Battlefront 2 I got 90FPS AVG on Medium-Hgh settings as i said before. But i only have a 60Hz panel, so it wasnt smooth, because of tearing. So i put V-Sync on and of course the FPS have to be constantly above the monitors refresh rate, otherwise you will face massive FPS drops. But i had 90FPS constantly. So as i turned it on the FPS were stuck to 60 as it should be and it was buttering smooth. But i recognized that the Wattage pulled by the CPU decreased to 21W in avg. Which causes a massive Temps drop from 78 degrees to 68 degrees.

So bottom line, if you have temp issues while pushing you CPU to its limits, but got also AVG FPS above you monitors refreshrate, thats a absolute must have requirement!!!!, then turn on V-Sync to drop the temps.

The first time i am happy to have only a 60Hz Panel 😄

CPU has PL-1 and PL-2 settings, my Strix is 45W/90W (default). With the GTX 1070 I just set everything to maximum and have a G-Sync 144Hz panel. Once the 9th Gen CPU's are launched, I'll consider an upgrade. RTX in isolation not worth it IMHO.

All software has issues, and it takes time for the Dev's to resolve, adding another 8GB stick will bump up your FPS. I've got duel channel 32Gb, but not for gaming. I don't have BF V although I suspect the game will soak up all the CPU & GPU to deliver the best experience and yes it may not be well optimised for lesser systems, as they say "can it run Crysis" 😛 Once 30 PS was a challenge 🙂

For me as long as I see 60FPS in game, it's enough, as I'm only playing for myself and that's all that really counts 🙂 I don't sweat the temp peaks, more the average. Really pleased with this notebook as it delivers massively and has paid for itself countless times over. I'll certainly look to ROG again, hopefully with a Zephyrus GX702 with 16GB on the board so I can have duel channel 32GB. Current GX701 only has 8GB on board which makes little sense for such an expensive notebook. It's not like those in the market for a $3K+ notebook are going to be worried about a little more for 16GB and for some 32GB is a must.

Q-6

So this are the temps. i get for playing gta5 for 15-20 min.
I know gta 5 is cpu heavy game, but to come to this high temp. its a bit odd.
The trottheling that cpu is doing are also big, from 3.9GHz to 2.8GHz for 3 weeks old laptop, and also the cpu was undervolted to max, so -66mV, cant go lower as that.

odavl123 wrote:
So this are the temps. i get for playing gta5 for 15-20 min.
I know gta 5 is cpu heavy game, but to come to this high temp. its a bit odd.
The trottheling that cpu is doing are also big, from 3.9GHz to 2.8GHz for 3 weeks old laptop, and also the cpu was undervolted to max, so -66mV, cant go lower as that.

Tend to agree temperature is too high, you can only reduce the Turbo Ratio limits in the hope to stop the CPU getting so hot in the first place. My GL703GS has a full fat GTX 1070 and that can pull up to 125W when overclocked, even with the CPU Turbo limits disable and PL-1 reset to 65W it doesn't get as hot as this being around 90C max.

From what I know GTA 5 will produce a heavy load, equally the notebook shouldn't be thermally throttling. You may not get a full sustained 3.9GHz across all cores due to the CPU PL-1 (45W) equally I would expect 3.4GHz - 3.6GHz to be reasonable, I wouldn't be happy with 2.8GHz...

If the notebook is elevated, has adequate air supply, undervolted, there's not much more you can do bar replacing the TIM and in my experience even that doesn't always make a significant difference. Have you verified the core OS is good, it's a stretch? when I first set up my GL703GS it did have some minor core OS verification issues. Once running DISM & SFC it was fine and still use the same base SW image today as is 100% stable.

Another thought is AV mine came with Mcafee AV which took a purpose uninstaller to remove it. Very much doubt it's the issue, equally doesn't hurt to ensure the core OS is stable.

Not much but might be worth looking at this as it's the same generation as yours:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109432-GL504GS-GTX-1070-downclocks-when-99-load

Q-6

moses0101 wrote:
So.. a little update of mine,

As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

Teach me pls

This what I think; fully exit ThrottleStop (TS), delete the ThrottleStop.ini file (in the TS folder), fully shutdown the computer (hold left shift key down as you select shutdown). This will reset all TS settings, it's important to get back to the default settings.

1 - If you have used Intel XTU to undervolt you need to be 100% certain that all CPU registers (that's what TS & XTU change) are back to default. The system also needs to be 100% before effecting changes.

2 - Set Windows Power Slider to Better Performance, Set ROG software to the same balanced mode, fair chance my settings/software are different:
GL703GS has 3 profiles which effects CPU & GPU performance and fan speed, want the notebook to be on a balanced setting. You can worry about OverBoost, Turbo, Silent modes etc.later once the undervolt is established.

3 - Open TS, in TS main window set up exactly like this;

4- In TS Options set up exactly like this:

5 -In the FIVR window, set up the same, however set both CPU Core & Cache Offset Voltage to -50mV. For the Battery profile do the same.

6 - Test the stability with TS Bench, with the 1024m option. If it's stable, decrease the CPU Core & Cache Offset Voltage to -60mV repeat until you see errors in TS Bench then increase +10mV. Then test again a minimum of 3 times to ensure zero errors. I would also elevate the rear for the notebook a sit's going to get hot.

It's important to establish a solid & stable undervolt before progressing with any other more advanced features of TS. The more that's changed the harder to diagnose the issue. I think ASUS ROG may have reduced the voltage to the CPU for the 2nd generation hex core notebooks, if that's the case your not going to be able to set the voltage offset anywhere as deeply as my GL703GS.

BD PROCHOT allows other "devices" to call the CPU to slow down to assist with cooling; dGPU, VRM's etc. Not a problem unless it's being triggered at an artificially low temp. C1E is related to CPU power saving and the vast majority of users need not uncheck it

As you can see from others it's possible to reduce temp and increase frame rates with a little care.

Q-6