cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

KhuloodF wrote:
Alright so updates again, I think I'm happy with where I'm at for now.

BIOS 303
I used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache by just under -100 mV.
I undervolted the intel GPU by -49 mV
Did not enable speed shift, left it at 128
Used GPU Tweak II to set GPU temp limit to 78.

Also am using a cooling pad propped at an angle under my laptop.

On High settings with Overwatch I can consistently run 120-ish FPS with mid-to-high 70s for hours.
If I cap the frame rate in Overwatch to 70-60ish, I can run temps in the low 70s and high 60s.
With more casual games, temps stay in mid-to-high 60s.
While browsing youtube, temps are in low 50's high 40s. Idling it sits in low 40's high 30's.

No stutter, no lag, and the computer is super zippy.

For me, a casual gamer, this is more than enough performance. I think I've found my happy spot. So long as I can stay away from being in the mid 80's for hours, I'm content 🙂

Will try testing with BF5 today and see what happens.

Good to see that you've got it where you want and can get on with just using it 🙂 Each system is unique so it takes a little to find the balance.

Q-6

KhuloodF wrote:
Alright so updates again, I think I'm happy with where I'm at for now.

BIOS 303
I used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache by just under -100 mV.
I undervolted the intel GPU by -49 mV
Did not enable speed shift, left it at 128
Used GPU Tweak II to set GPU temp limit to 78.

Also am using a cooling pad propped at an angle under my laptop.

On High settings with Overwatch I can consistently run 120-ish FPS with mid-to-high 70s for hours.
If I cap the frame rate in Overwatch to 70-60ish, I can run temps in the low 70s and high 60s.
With more casual games, temps stay in mid-to-high 60s.
While browsing youtube, temps are in low 50's high 40s. Idling it sits in low 40's high 30's.

No stutter, no lag, and the computer is super zippy.

For me, a casual gamer, this is more than enough performance. I think I've found my happy spot. So long as I can stay away from being in the mid 80's for hours, I'm content 🙂

Will try testing with BF5 today and see what happens.

Looking forward to see your BF V results. I left Speedshift at 128 unchecked as well. The Temps were quite decent in BF V around 77 degrees. But the fluctuation of the CPU Frequency from 3,9GHz to sometimes 3GHz causes Framedrops as well. So i decided to lock the Core frequency to 3,7Ghz and the temps staying now in the low 80´s. But i guess that will only be the case with BF V as it is such a CPU intensive game.

So Update with BFV:

Game is on highest settings at 1080 P x 144 HZ resolution, I capped FPS at 120 because after that is just superfluous for me.

Game ran like butter during actual game play- temps stayed well into high 60s and mid 70s. FPS Average hovered around 90.

The only time I noticed a slight stutter is when the pre-made game sequences would load. I would have a moment where it would stop, and then go on as if nothing happened. It only happened once.

This is a huge, huge, huge improvement. When I first launched BFV without any tweaking I was in high 80s-low 90s.

Just for kicks and giggles I decided to lift the frame cap off Overwatch and play on Ultra settings, temps never went past 75 with 120 FPS average.

I would imagine I won't play anything more intensive than BFV on my laptop anytime soon, so I'm super happy, performance wise and temp wise.

Like I said, I may not be getting "max" overclocking or blah blah blah, but for the casual gamer like me: A steady FPS of around 80-120 for games with temps in the 70s in the most intensive game is a win in my book.

Again, keep in mind I do have an under laptop cooler as well as three side fans to help with air circulation. I'm sure that also is making some semblance of a difference. But I really only saw this major, consistent, drop after all these internal tweaks.

Thank you guys so freaking much for all your help!

So.. a little update of mine,

As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

Teach me pls

moses0101 wrote:
So.. a little update of mine,

As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

Teach me pls

Leave it checked, the value should default to 128.

I didn't touch the main page, basically.

I did not touch the iGPU UNslice, I only touched the Intel GPU and undervolted -49 mV.

Every GPU/CPU is different so I would work in increments of 5mv. It's painful but it's what I did to get to where I am. I am pretty sure if I increase my mV by even 1 it will crash the computer.

KhuloodF wrote:
Leave it checked, the value should default to 128.

I didn't touch the main page, basically.

I did not touch the iGPU UNslice, I only touched the Intel GPU and undervolted -49 mV.

Every GPU/CPU is different so I would work in increments of 5mv. It's painful but it's what I did to get to where I am. I am pretty sure if I increase my mV by even 1 it will crash the computer.

Checking Speed Shift EPP in ThrottleStop (TS) will at do best nothing, at worst force a clash with Windows 10. 128 is a TS default, not the OEM value (mine being 84 or 0). To use Speed Shift effectively in TS you need to also set values in the TPL Window, again TS and W10 fighting to control the CPU is a very bad idea. Disabling W10 Speed Shift control is possible, equally far more complex.

Those unsure if Speed Shift is active (BIOS related) it will be Green in TS main window and you can check with HWinfo64 or CPU Z, SST should be available if Speed Shift is running, if not it can be manually started with TS. Speed Shift primary purpose is to improve CPU efficiency in changing frequency and associated power savings. it's not going to enhance performance of locked H series CPU's so don't sweat it.

Undervolt needs to be established for both CPU on and off load, across all power settings to ensure guaranteed stability, this is where the TS profiles come into play. On battery for instance VID will be reduced by default, too low a global undervolt and the system will crash, same applies for the likes of ROG's Silent mode (TDP down) as CPU PL-1 TDP is reduced to approx. 32W, versus the typical 45W.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
Checking Speed Shift EPP in ThrottleStop (TS) will at do best nothing, at worst force a clash with Windows 10. 128 is a TS default, not the OEM value (mine being 84 or 0). To use Speed Shift effectively in TS you need to also set values in the TPL Window, again TS and W10 fighting to control the CPU is a very bad idea. Disabling W10 Speed Shift control is possible, equally far more complex.

Those unsure if Speed Shift is active (BIOS related) it will be Green in TS main window and you can check with HWinfo64 or CPU Z, SST should be available if Speed Shift is running, if not it can be manually started with TS. Speed Shift primary purpose is to improve CPU efficiency in changing frequency and associated power savings. it's not going to enhance performance of locked H series CPU's so don't sweat it.

Undervolt needs to be established for both CPU on and off load, across all power settings to ensure guaranteed stability, this is where the TS profiles come into play. On battery for instance VID will be reduced by default, too low a global undervolt and the system will crash, same applies for the likes of ROG's Silent mode (TDP down) as CPU PL-1 TDP is reduced to approx. 32W, versus the typical 45W.

Q-6

Hey Q-6,

you talked about limiting the TDP. How can i do it with Win10? In the ROG Gaming Center if i want to change the Fan modes it always stays at Overboost. Even when i make profiles with diferent modes it satys at overboost. Which values in the TPL screen should i change to get the best out of Speedshift.

I checked the box "lock" at the bottom of the picture below but now i cant uncheck it anymore :(.

Regards

mp271901 wrote:
Hey Q-6,

you talked about limiting the TDP. How can i do it with Win10? In the ROG Gaming Center if i want to change the Fan modes it always stays at Overboost. Even when i make profiles with diferent modes it satys at overboost. Which values in the TPL screen should i change to get the best out of Speedshift.

I checked the box "lock" at the bottom of the picture below but now i cant uncheck it anymore :(.

Regards

With my GL703GS it has three modes that effect CPU/GPU TDP and fan RPM. You can see the change in TDP in the TS main window under full load or with HWinfo64. Speed Shift is already enabled by W10, setting the Windows power slider to Best Performance should set Speed Shift EPP to 0 (fastest). Turning the Speed Shift option on in TS will just result in TS & W10 fighting for control. No point really, just let W10 do it's thing, if you want max performance set to Best Performance on the W10 Power Slider, however that may push the temps.

To reduce TDP in W10 try the opposite, setting the Power Slider to Best Battery Life, should make a difference. You can really get into it with the advanced power settings, although I just like the easier option of using the slider, between that and ROG's profiles it's granular enough for my needs.

Can you do a screencap of your Gaming Center like as not it's different to my notebook, I can flip profiles with FN & F5 keys or in the Gaming Center, and can see the TDP change in TS when running TS Bench.

Well "Lock" does exactly that 🙂 it locks the values. Answer is to exit TS, delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and set it up again, uncheck "Clamp" as that's a limiter.

Q-6

Queen6 wrote:
With my GL703GS it has three modes that effect CPU/GPU TDP and fan RPM. You can see the change in TDP in the TS main window under full load or with HWinfo64. Speed Shift is already enabled by W10, setting the Windows power slider to Best Performance should set Speed Shift EPP to 0 (fastest). Turning the Speed Shift option on in TS will just result in TS & W10 fighting for control. No point really, just let W10 do it's thing, if you want max performance set to Best Performance on the W10 Power Slider, however that may push the temps.

To reduce TDP in W10 try the opposite, setting the Power Slider to Best Battery Life, should make a difference. You can really get into it with the advanced power settings, although I just like the easier option of using the slider, between that and ROG's profiles it's granular enough for my needs.

Can you do a screencap of your Gaming Center like as not it's different to my notebook, I can flip profiles with FN & F5 keys or in the Gaming Center, and can see the TDP change in TS when running TS Bench.

Well "Lock" does exactly that 🙂 it locks the values. Answer is to exit TS, delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and set it up again, uncheck "Clamp" as that's a limiter.

Q-6

ok in which window i can see the TDP value in TS?.

I checked the energy options and i couldnt find the settings for TDP (first picture). i didnt unfold MAX processor state because it wouldnt fit in one picture then. But it shows the same stuff like MIN processor state.

I was able to change the fan modes with FN+F5 but just in case there is the picture as well.

Regards

Here - Package Power 60W

After 28 seconds it will drop to the PL-1 enforced limit of 45W, if TDP is reduced it will drop to 35W, on battery something like 28W etc. If TDP down is not working check that in TS FIVR Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits isn't checked as this breaks the TDP down feature.

Mine is a Strix (GL703GS, to be exact it's a S7BS8750)

Power limits in HWinfo64 90/45

TDP Down in effect 90/35

Note W10 power plan also has control via Speed Shift EPP, so want absolute max need to switch ROG to Overboost and W10 to Best Performance

Q-6