Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix G513RC Second SSD

werty
Level 7
Hi folks,
Happy New Year first!
I have recently bought a second SSD for my ROG Strix G513RC, namely Western Digital Black SN770, but its idle temp is quite high - around 55 Celsius. My main SSD that came with the laptop is Micron 2450 and its idle temps are much lower 35-40 Celsius. Is there anything I can do to lower its temps? I thought of placing a heatsink on it but I was concerned about the space and in fact where will all this heat go. As a workaround I modified the fan speed in Armoury Crate so that the fans kick in at lower temps and in fact this helped to lower the ssd's temp to around 45 Celsius. What is your experience on that matter?
Thanks for your suggestions!

Best regards,
werty
7 REPLIES 7

panzlock
Level 12
How close is the drive to other components?
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
How close is the drive to other components?

It's between the other ssd and the battery though the other drive runs cooler than the SN770.

panzlock
Level 12
NVMe drives run hot: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/wd-black-sn770-1-tb/7.html

My 750 is at 35C while idling in a desktop case with good airflow. That's 10C warmer than both the the HDD and SSD in the same system.

xeromist
Also NAND is pretty heat tolerant and has worse endurance when cold. I wouldn't even be concerned unless the *controller temperature* was exceeding 70c.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Also NAND is pretty heat tolerant and has worse endurance when cold. I wouldn't even be concerned unless the *controller temperature* was exceeding 70c.

The Nvme idles at around 55° Celsius and if the fans are running for several minutes the temps drop to around 40.

werty wrote:
The Nvme idles at around 55° Celsius and if the fans are running for several minutes the temps drop to around 40.

You're good. Like I mentioned before my 750 idles at 35C in a well ventilated case so 40C inside a laptop isn't unusual. Operating temps for the SN770 are between 0C and 85C: https://www.storagereview.com/review/wd-black-sn770-ssd-review

But as Xeromist stated, keep an eye on temps. Wouldn't want to push the rive beyond 70C. I always compare pushing components to the limit unnecessarily to pushing my wife to the limit unnecessarily. At some point the heat makes her volcano erupt and then BAM...marriage temporarily on hold until I repair the emotional component with flowers.

panzlock wrote:
You're good. Like I mentioned before my 750 idles at 35C in a well ventilated case so 40C inside a laptop isn't unusual. Operating temps for the SN770 are between 0C and 85C: https://www.storagereview.com/review/wd-black-sn770-ssd-review

But as Xeromist stated, keep an eye on temps. Wouldn't want to push the rive beyond 70C. I always compare pushing components to the limit unnecessarily to pushing my wife to the limit unnecessarily. At some point the heat makes her volcano erupt and then BAM...marriage temporarily on hold until I repair the emotional component with flowers.

Ok. Thank you.
Be careful with your wife as keeping her "cool" is not as easy task as keeping a nvme drive cool:D