cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix G18 (2023) Stuttering

sagnik99
Level 8

Hi, I recently bought Asus ROG Strix G18 with Nvidia RTX 4080, 32gb Ram and i9-13th gen CPU. My ray traced games are all stuttering including Hitman, Watchdogs legion, Crysis Remastered. Any ideas how to fix it or has anyone else encountered similar issues with this laptop? 

Thanks in advance 👍

25 REPLIES 25

Damian1
Level 8

I have the same problem, all games run smoothly in Silent mode, but starts to stutters in performance or turbo, it feels like something with temperatures or something wrong from factory.
TBH i would just love to return this laptop but it's too late for that
I tried customer support but you will get nowhere typical drivers update etc

Yes, never buying any Asus product after this. Their dynamic boost is a total unstable mess that breaks performance. I had stutterings when my Gpu power reached 165-175 W. Now after changing Nvidia driver I see that my GPU power is not exceeding 155W. Now performance is very smooth in all games. And my computer is still in turbo mode and fans are loud, fps is high. But somehow GPU power draw never exceeds 155W now. I don't know how this magic happened and whether it's the Nvidia driver but I am not updating drivers any time soon..maybe for 2-3 yrs.

Can you please share what's the drivers version?

I thought so about the power that's its unstable and it feels like graphics card is turn itself on and off  i a way

Hi, my laptop is a G16 and I have same issue if I'm using any of the default Arrmoury Crate profiles.

I did lots of test and my conclusion is default CPU PL1 values for silent (90W), performance (110W) and turbo modes (don't remember the value) are way to high, which induce throttling.

I did simply solved the issue by creating a manual mode where I did set both PL1 and PL2 values to 65W : no more stutters for me in RDR2, Cyberpunk, Plague Tale Requiem or during Diablo IV server slam weekend, AND no performance reduction in games.

O wow that's great can you please provide screenshot of your settings so i can do the same ?

Thank you

rog.png

Great thank you will test it out, any changed in GPU category ?

Yes, but those settings are for my 4070, you may not be able to replicate them on your laptop.

Those settings are perfectly stable for me, monitoring during gaming session shows GPU frequency going up a little above 2.5Ghz, and memory at 8300MHz.

rog.png

Thank you, i have the 4080 version, hope that Sagnik99 will provide what driver version works for him