cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix G173QM Plugged/Unplugged While Gaming

Kawlisse
Level 7

Hello, 

Like in the title,  (laptop plugged) my laptop keeps changing power mode while gaming, like if i disconnected the charger physically. very annoying, since screen goes black for a few milliseconds, and the splash (plugged/unplugged) is in the middle of the screen . lead me to believe the power output of the brick doesnt give me enough power for video card. 

My question is What power Adapter (with higher wattage) should I buy that is complatible with my Asus ROG Strix G173QM ? 

thanks for your help guys ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i have exactly same issue on a g713qm , only on gaming session, web browsing,  watching video no error, but when i launch a game it apres in few minutes, like 3/4 min and do it constantly until i stop gaming.   i have the original charger too charger.   default start 2 day ago 

edit:   after complete uninstaling and reinstalling armoury crate with files from here https://www.asus.com/fr/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk/ all is ok for now

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

world
Are you using the charger that comes with the laptop or a 3rd party one?

the one that came with the laptop ! 

The power adapter is paired to the laptop so it should be outputting enough power for the laptop, so under normal operating conditions that shouldn't be an issue-- has this always happened with your laptop or is it something that's just starting to happen?

Does the issue happen right away while you're gaming or does it take a while before it starts? (and to confirm, this doesn't happen other than when gaming?)

I was playing mostly Wow Classic, so not very demanding graphic wise, but, it started when I bought Dragonflight, and if I put all graphics to Ultra, it does happen almost immediately, also happens in all graphical demanding games, (Star Citizen, Diablo IV beta, GTFO and others) 

When it first happened I tought my power adapter was defect (it was so hot I could'nt even touch it for 4 seconds) and since I was out of warranty I bought a replacement on the Asus website. 
it does happen frequently (unless I lower my graphics setting in WoW, Star Citizen it does it all the times, at random intervals ) when it does, theres a huge framerate drop... kinda like if if goes from the NVIDIA video card to the AMD integrated video card.   and no it only happens when gaming, and when gaming with demanding games. Wow classic no problem at all, DragonFlight gotta lower the graphic settings otherwise it does it ! 

thanks for the help

My G713QR started doing this recently too.  I got bad for a bit, but I found the last armoury crate updates helped a lot, though it still happens once in a while.

i have exactly same issue on a g713qm , only on gaming session, web browsing,  watching video no error, but when i launch a game it apres in few minutes, like 3/4 min and do it constantly until i stop gaming.   i have the original charger too charger.   default start 2 day ago 

edit:   after complete uninstaling and reinstalling armoury crate with files from here https://www.asus.com/fr/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk/ all is ok for now

Kawlisse
Level 7

Thanks a ton man, Cant believe a piece of software from Asus was causing me all this trouble... I just uninstalled it and voila ! thanks again !!! 

i hope it's ok for you,  after 2 day without this trouble, it appear again, i uninstall armoury ****** and trouble stay, maybe because the charger was hot becauseof plugged / unplugged fault, i'll try tomorrow with long gaming session

edit;  i attach logE from the tool provide by asus  i dont know how to open it to check what is wrong

C-V-N
Level 12

I'm on win 10 and had to go into power setting it was windows changing it on me.