cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL702-- Questions on BIOS and Fan speed control

Tentmaker
Level 8
Hello world!

This is my first post on this forum. I recently got an ASUS ROG GL702 during the black friday sales events in Canada that I plan to use for productivity/portable computing power, and leisure (which includes any game my heart desires).

I had a few questions about this laptop:

• Firstly, is the BIOS UEFI?
    Mine seems like a very generic blue-screen sort of thing.

• Also, is there a way to moderate fan speed--whether via BIOS or via application (non-third party)?

My laptop temperatures hover around 45 to 50 C on idle and my room is usually cold... Though I know laptops are built with higher tolerances/norms for temperatures (for e.g. higher Tj maxs on CPUs, etc.), I am expecting that the 3 fans and heat-pipped cooling solution can be taken full advantage of. Is there a way to adjust fan settings manually?

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Tentmaker
Level 8
Wanted to bump this thread. So, is anyone able to contribute to discussion on fan control for the ASUS ROG GL7XX?

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE:
This will help your laptops live longer and not get choked when using demanding games/apps.

Additional information/updates:
I can't find good third-party software for fan control to my dismay. The fan control software by ASUS, ASUS Xpert, seems specific to desktop ASUS motherboards.

And, i heard odd clicking from my HDD, which I may be over-reacting about, but do understand my 50-degree-celcius-ish operating temperatures could create problems in the future.

I want to avoid premature HDD death and other issues and would like to take full advantage of the 3 fans and cooling solution in my laptop. So, I still am interested in figuring out how one should go about with fan control.

Would appreciate anyone's input on the matter!

Tentmaker wrote:
Wanted to bump this thread. So, is anyone able to contribute to discussion on fan control for the ASUS ROG GL7XX?

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE:
This will help your laptops live longer and not get choked when using demanding games/apps.

Additional information/updates:
I can't find good third-party software for fan control to my dismay. The fan control software by ASUS, ASUS Xpert, seems specific to desktop ASUS motherboards.

And, i heard odd clicking from my HDD, which I may be over-reacting about, but do understand my 50-degree-celcius-ish operating temperatures could create problems in the future.

I want to avoid premature HDD death and other issues and would like to take full advantage of the 3 fans and cooling solution in my laptop. So, I still am interested in figuring out how one should go about with fan control.

Would appreciate anyone's input on the matter!

first off: I cannot answer any of your questions. I highly doubt that it's not UEFI but I'm not sure. Would like something for fan control myself but well.. couldn't find anything for my last notebook either.. It still annoys me that i cannot let them run on the highest level with FN+1 or so, which I could with my old notebook.

Anyways: 40-50° is perfectly normal for a notebook (especially if it is this thin) and is also pretty low for this version. Mine is around 40-50 on idle as well but as soon as I start something up it won't go back below ~60, even when I closed everything else.
If I were you I would try not to worry too much about that... Of course lower temperatures would be better but this is one of the reasons a notebook won't live forever. And that's for almost every notebook I guess.

Regarding the HDD all I can say is that it started making weird rattling noises for me as well, especially when I move the notebook... I then have to move the notebook again in a certain way to make it stop. I didn't notice any errors apart from the noises though.
Since I'm not really using the HDD anyways it's not that bad, but still pretty annoying for the price we paid 😕

/E: also if you're really that worried about temperature, get some external fans for below and/or behind the notebook. this shouls help keeping it cool.

Asus just unveiled the gl753 with the new gaming center which has a fan controller built in. And if you look closely in the video there is a kaby lake gl702vm running the same updated version of the gaming center.
Any idea when this will come out for the skylake gl702vm.

adrian_craig wrote:
Asus just unveiled the gl753 with the new gaming center which has a fan controller built in. And if you look closely in the video there is a kaby lake gl702vm running the same updated version of the gaming center.
Any idea when this will come out for the skylake gl702vm.

Try Notebook fan control