cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GL552VW having problems turning on after shutdown

Hurrible
Level 7
So at the start of this month i noticed a problem that still continues to this day, which is the reason why i'm scared to take my chances and turn off my computer. I shut it down one night after giving the keyboard and screen a few swipes with the cleaning cloth and upon pressing the power button in the morning it refused to turn back on, i took out the AC adapter, battery, and did the whole "holding down the power button for 30 seconds" trick to remove excess charge. i thought it might be a likely culprit since i'm currently in europe right now and the charge here is stronger here. the AC adapter works fine and the "battery charging" logo is lit when the device is shut down. i tried to turn it on without the adapter and exclusively the battery, no luck. then i tried the opposite with only the AC adapter plugged in, nothing. i'd remembered i placed my backpack down to harshly ( which had the computer inside a laptop sleeve in there ) down on a table on the side with the hard drive, but upon opening it up everything was still stronglysecured and alright. the first time i turned it off and saw this happening i freaked out, i took out the battery many times, opened it up, and tried to do thepower button trick i saw on forums. eventually, it turned on after pressing the power button over and over, not spamming it though. the next time thishappened what i did was literally rub my hand against the keyboard with some force and it turned on, the same solution worked this tuesday when i shut it off again and tired to turn it on. the thing is the keyboard trick only works when it's been sitting untouched for about 45 mins to an hour, it never turns on immediately after shutdown. yesterday i turned it off once more to see what could be the problem, once more when i opened it up i found nothing ( keep in mind the GL552 slot only shows RAM and the hard drive, i've yet to open the computer up ENTIRELY ), and after letting it sit there i tried to push a bunch of keys on the keyboard with my whole hand when that didn't work i gave the center of my computer a few gentle pushes inward and after pressing the power button a few times it turned on. i don't know why this is happening or what could be wrong but if someone would help me i would greatly appreciate it. 😄

james11705 wrote:
Get the power button fixed when its still under warranty, best buy must have given u a 1 year ADP warranty( snce it comes under hsrdware fsilure it might not be covered under d udusl warrsnty), check the booklet asus gave regarding the warranty (I'll post the pic after few hours )
N I'm not sure u should switch to 8.1, just make a recovery of win10 before doing so

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk

for the time being it seems to be working fine, so i don't think changing my entire operating system is necessary at least as of right now. a recovery likely won't help as the drivers are still made for an operating system lower than my current one, but again currently it's not happening again. yeah in the booklet it said it should say the period of warranty whether it be 12M, 24M, 36M on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

so.. magically the power key began to work? i was playing around with the num pad and pressing num lk for some reason enables it and disables it? i might be wrong since pressing it at odd angles likely makes the contacts touch and it works normally. sometimes it takes a couple of hits but it's working again?? perhaps this is because the actual power key is part of the num pad. it still takes some force to press, i will look into sending it to asus either way... there still seems to be something off with the contacts in there.

Hurrible wrote:
so.. magically the power key began to work? i was playing around with the num pad and pressing num lk for some reason enables it and disables it? i might be wrong since pressing it at odd angles likely makes the contacts touch and it works normally. sometimes it takes a couple of hits but it's working again?? perhaps this is because the actual power key is part of the num pad. it still takes some force to press, i will look into sending it to asus either way... there still seems to be something off with the contacts in there.

Send it to Asus asap, Coz after a few days if the key stops working completely it might bring you bigger problems.

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk