cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL551JM can't update to Win 10 1709. Hassled on a daily basis.

majhoop
Level 7
I've been hassled by this for 2 months now. Recently I enlisted Microsoft support twice. They took control of the laptop. The 1st one spent an hour and said it was well on it's way. The update failed. Then some weeks later another tried it and said my Bios was from 2014 and had to be at least from 2016. I then tried help from Asus. She walked me through updating the bios but I only seem to be allowed to install version 205 which seems to be from 2015. All the updates say they fail and then restore an earlier version. Today, it just went in a loop and was impossible to boot until I got a tip to press shift and power. I've been unable to turn off the updates. Any help appreciated. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

majhoop
Level 7
I tried instructions from: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013018/ and get to step 8 selecting safe mode but it never does. I also tried f8 at start but also no safe mode. Any other ways to get it to go into safe mode? Is it normal to be difficult to do that? Thanks

Julskey
Level 10
Your SSD is causing the problem. If you want to retain exact same copy of your current ssd, I suggest to make an image of it and restore to an HDD. Do the update on the HDD and after successfully updating to 1709, you can clone it back to your SSD. That's what I did to my G752VT.

Julskey wrote:
Your SSD is causing the problem. If you want to retain exact same copy of your current ssd, I suggest to make an image of it and restore to an HDD. Do the update on the HDD and after successfully updating to 1709, you can clone it back to your SSD. That's what I did to my G752VT.

OK. If I understand what your saying. I need to make a copy of the 250 gb hard drive on the pc to an external hard drive? Can I do this within Win10 or do you suggest another program to do it. Then when you say restore to HDD what do you mean?I've got a big external usb hard drive. Is that the kind of hdd you are talking about? Thanks

majhoop wrote:
OK. If I understand what your saying. I need to make a copy of the 250 gb hard drive on the pc to an external hard drive? Can I do this within Win10 or do you suggest another program to do it. Then when you say restore to HDD what do you mean?I've got a big external usbNo hard drive. Is that the kind of hdd you are talking about? Thanks

No, he didn't say to make a copy, he said to make an Image backup suggest Macrium Reflect to accomplish this. Make the Image to an external USB drive.

At this point it looking like sometime in May or even later before 1803 is released.

I would recommend that you just MCT to create an Install USB for you, add a folder to the USB for your eSupport folder. Then do a Clean install this will bring you up to 1709
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
No, he didn't say to make a copy, he said to make an Image backup suggest Macrium Reflect to accomplish this. Make the Image to an external USB drive.

At this point it looking like sometime in May or even later before 1803 is released.

I would recommend that you just MCT to create an Install USB for you, add a folder to the USB for your eSupport folder. Then do a Clean install this will bring you up to 1709

Thanks for your reply. I'm not following "just MCT to create an Install USB for you"? Very unfamiliar with "clean installs".Also I have very limited time so the idea of going back and reinstalling all of my many programs (and tracking down serial #'s proving ownerships etc) is very disturbing. Like I said I don't know what I'm doing in terms of Clean install of Windows. I don't have any way (i.e.Backtracker won't work on my PC) to show I have a valid copy of Windows? That continues to be a mystery to me. I downloaded Macrium free. Could you tell me which is the one I should put on the usb stick. The first one?

Macrium made a disc partition image of 115 gb on my external hd. I don't know what you mean by:"I would recommend that you just MCT to create an Install USB for you". Thanks