cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G75VW with 256g SSD takes 1 minute to boot

ROGaddict
Level 7
I have a Samsung 840 PRO 256G SSD installed.
But my boot times still take forever, before I got the SSD my PC booted in 1 minute and 30 seconds.
I don't think this is normal. Also, even with diagnostic startup the computer still takes 48 seconds to boot. I think something is wrong.
Does anybody have some insight on this? Some BIOS tweaks maybe?
5,662 Views
8 REPLIES 8

cosmicmango
Level 10
ROGaddict wrote:
I have a Samsung 840 PRO 256G SSD installed.
But my boot times still take forever, before I got the SSD my PC booted in 1 minute and 30 seconds.
I don't think this is normal. Also, even with diagnostic startup the computer still takes 48 seconds to boot. I think something is wrong.
Does anybody have some insight on this? Some BIOS tweaks maybe?


I also have a Asus G75VW with 2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD and it takes 30 seconds to boot.
18132
Have you installed Samsung Magician Software ver.4.0? I've setup the OS Optimization for Maximum Reliability. Below is the link for the software.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PD256BW

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/720-restart-time.html
G752VY-DH72

Vicodin
Level 10
How did you set up your SSD? Did you clone the factory HDD from Asus? Or did you do a fresh install?

Vicodin wrote:
How did you set up your SSD? Did you clone the factory HDD from Asus? Or did you do a fresh install?

I did clone it, with the CD that came with my SSD.
EDIT: Was it a bad Idea to clone it? If it was is there a way I can reverse it?

ROGaddict wrote:
I did clone it, with the CD that came with my SSD.
EDIT: Was it a bad Idea to clone it? If it was is there a way I can reverse it?


I would honestly do a fresh install on it, cloning has had mixed reviews. You can just run the install again, during the beginning process it will ask you to select a partition to install to, just format it there and install.

ROGaddict
Level 7
What is Samsung Magician Software ver.4.0? I cannot find it in the link
EDIT: NVM I found it and am installing now

rewben
Level 13
hi @ROGaddict, check out your event log entries under 'Application and services logs' > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostic - Performance > Operational. i saw a post by @dstrakele regarding trouble shooting boot time via event log somewhere in the forum. it is very useful to determine what is slowing down your system during boot and shutdown.

for a samsung 840 pro, i get boot time of under 20 secs (without fast startup).

edit: here's the post by @JRd1st about the similar event log trouble shooting.

Pitcher1
Level 9
are you use pure OS or full OS, i think app is the one element

bignazpwns
Level 11
How do you SSD benchmarks look because off a clone on my SSD's im booting in 14 sec.

If some benchs show slow speeds then you might have a defective SSD.