cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74S USB 3.0 problems

DySfunCti0naL
Level 7
I was wandering if anyone has hand any problems with their USB 3.0 port on the Asus G74S.
Every time a plug in any USB 3.0 supported external hard drive and try to copy data across the hard drive turns off and turns back on, needles to say I tried using the same devices on a USB 2.0 port and it works perfectly.
I tried doing the same thing on a USB 3.0 port on my old laptop with no problem so its safe to assume there's a problem with my USB 3.0 port.
I have tried reinstalling any USB related drivers I could find, with obviously hasn't worked.
My USB 3.0 port did work with the same external hard drives just after I got the laptop, about 1 month ago, but I haven't tried to use it since.

Thanks for any help in advance.
DySfunCti0naL
Asus ROG G74S: Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0G, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5 3DTV Play, 16GB RAM 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2 x 750GB HDD's and Blu-Ray RW. Running 64bit Window 7 Ultimate
9 REPLIES 9

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Yes, unfortunately, others owners have had this problem. 😞 Exactly which external drive are you using....is it a USB-powered drive or an externally-powered one?

I have seen this as well, but it only happens with my Windows 7 OS loaded. It has never happened with my Ubuntu 11.10 os running. I have copies tons and tons of stuff using Linux without a problem. My guess it is not hardware..

Srini_Durand wrote:
I have seen this as well, but it only happens with my Windows 7 OS loaded. It has never happened with my Ubuntu 11.10 os running. I have copies tons and tons of stuff using Linux without a problem. My guess it is not hardware..

Are you using the Fresco 3.5.4.0 driver?

In Ubuntu, are you actually running a USB 3.0 driver? If not, the port is running in 2.0 mode.

Srini_Durand
Level 7
Version V3.0.119.1
Description USB3.0 Driver
File Size
2,43 (MBytes) 2011.05.13 update
Is the lastest from Asus.. is it not, for the G74S?

Really funny, this trouble.. If when it starts I start to play a movie, it works perfect.. But once the movie ends and the
drives goes idle for a minute, it un-mounts itself and re-mounts itself.
I turned off the Virus scan on the drive, that did not seem to help. And like I say, under Linux it works like a champ.

Srini_Durand wrote:
Version V3.0.119.1
Description USB3.0 Driver
File Size
2,43 (MBytes) 2011.05.13 update
Is the lastest from Asus.. is it not, for the G74S?

The latest is Fresco v. 3.5.4.0.

I applied Fresco v. 3.5.4.0. no help, I wonder if there could be some sort of out scope disk sleep or min power go to sleep going on here. Disk is a 1.5 tb seagate powered from the usb port. I turned off the charger, that did seem to help either.

Srini_Durand wrote:
I applied Fresco v. 3.5.4.0. no help, I wonder if there could be some sort of out scope disk sleep or min power go to sleep going on here. Disk is a 1.5 tb seagate powered from the usb port. I turned off the charger, that did seem to help either.

Yeah....I wonder that as well.. Whenever people have described these USB 3.0 issues, it often sounds like a power management problem to me, as if the computer is using the wrong cues to power down the ports in some sort of energy-saving profile.

Are you using Power4Gear, and have you checked the power settings (the ones related to USB power)?

Another common theory regarding this problem is that some external drives really push the USB power spec, and need just that a little more than the port provides. That makes more sense with drives that are never recognized, because spin-up requires the most juice. But yours obviously works fine....until the computer cuts the power or the connection, for some reason.

I tried another, this time a usb3 external powered drive, seems to have fixed the problem. This is pretty funny, as the internal power drive works perfect under Linux. I guess it is worth asking the question, what others are using for hard drives powered though the usb3 port. It must be as you say, it really pushes the power spec for this Segate drive. I wonder how well developed the USB3 stuff is when powered from the USB port. What kills me is that is seems to only be a problem, when the drive is NOT under a load, or idle. When it is being used, IE making a back up or playing a moving it never has a problem. I am off in the AM to replace it with a different model..
I am not the best with Windows, been working only with Linux for years. Thanks for you input..

Any suggestion on what to exchange it for?

Srini_Durand;53472I wrote:
guess it is worth asking the question, what others are using for hard drives powered though the usb3 port.

I have two Western Digital USB 3.0 drives (Passport SE, I think they're called). One's a 750Gb and one's a 1Tb...I've used them both with three different G74s and never had any of the USB problems many owners have experienced. (If it matters, they were only used on clean installs with Windows' High Performance power profile.)