cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G15 G512LW Botched Bios (fan speeds) Response from Asus

g15squonk
Level 7
Copied from my Reddit account for times sake, but after a few weeks of back and forth with ASUS support regarding my g512lw being affected by either a bad BIOS update or an Armoury Crate update Asus had gotten back to me with an update saying that because my laptop is a 2020 model and therefore out of service, it was left out of the batches that received fixes for the 7k fan speed issues.

So, for anyone on a system affected by the botched update with a system that ASUS considers "old" will not be receiving a fix, even as a fix is in the works for newer models affected by the EXACT same issue.

This botched update constitutes continuous thermal damage to components, which may significantly lessen the lifespan of the devices over time. Many people are likely still paying for these devices, as they retailed for quite a sum when released. I would consider this a "serious issue" as Asus has designated that a new BIOS update wouldn't be considered unless there was one.

I live in the states, the bios was updated to the botched version LONG before my warranty was up, and frankly I'm pissed about being dismissed with this "not" being a serious issue. So are we just ****ed if we have this model?

Literally a "sorry that sucks, glad you bought one?" I'd appreciate if they just applied the same fix to our model as the ones listed, it's literally the same issue.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Your CPU will throttle to protect itself. In fact some devices are designed with the expectation that they will throttle. A famous example is the Macbook Pro with an i9 from a few years back. That notebook basically couldn't make use of the full power of the CPU because the cooling couldn't keep up.

Now, where there could be a concern is if ASUS marketed your machine as hitting certain performance targets based on the cooling achieved at 7000RPM. If it can no longer reach advertised performance that would be a basis for a complaint.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Your CPU will throttle to protect itself. In fact some devices are designed with the expectation that they will throttle. A famous example is the Macbook Pro with an i9 from a few years back. That notebook basically couldn't make use of the full power of the CPU because the cooling couldn't keep up.

Now, where there could be a concern is if ASUS marketed your machine as hitting certain performance targets based on the cooling achieved at 7000RPM. If it can no longer reach advertised performance that would be a basis for a complaint.

The issue is that due to the fan speed cap, if I don't absolutely neuter performance via throttlestops turbo settings, it often hits 95C and constantly throttles itself. It's undervolted the max -80, turbo time limit settings and max fan speeds through AC manual mode, which lowers the temps below throttling, but with a marked decrease in performance.

Being told that the other models have been updated with 7k speeds, knowing that they know where the issue is but won't open up the G512lw bios to do the same is just kind of awful. That and they're aware the issue was on their end and are fixing it for only a select few models.

xeromist
I suppose it's a matter of preference but I would rather let a machine throttle than have a fan at 7k RPM. That just sounds unbearable to me. If performance has tanked due to reduced cooling then that is rough. I'd hate to have to choose banshee mode to get decent performance.

I suspect a fan at 7k will fail before a CPU at 95C. So if you're worried about the life of the machine I think you're looking at the wrong component. But, on the other hand it seems like the fan's manufacturer seemed to think it would be fine at 7k so I guess it should be an option for owners that want it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I suppose it's a matter of preference but I would rather let a machine throttle than have a fan at 7k RPM. That just sounds unbearable to me. If performance has tanked due to reduced cooling then that is rough. I'd hate to have to choose banshee mode to get decent performance.

I suspect a fan at 7k will fail before a CPU at 95C. So if you're worried about the life of the machine I think you're looking at the wrong component. But, on the other hand it seems like the fan's manufacturer seemed to think it would be fine at 7k so I guess it should be an option for owners that want it.

Honestly the fan noise never bothered me. With Sonic Studio running dynamic mode the volume boomed well above the exhaust noise. That, and I use headphones most days. I've kept the support chain with ASUS going and keep receiving a lot of dismissive remarks regarding the issue. "Not included in most forum posts" "We've found no issue regarding fan speeds", Like friend you've got a bunch of people across multiple models complaining of the same issue, and you've acknowledged it with fixes for other models, and in an email I can kindly forward you where you've mentioned it.

Between the high temps if I don't absolutely gut performance and the lackluster performance if I do, it's just getting a bit annoying to get the runaround because I have a model released in 2020. They've admitted it's a known issue, but then I get "we've found no evidence of" emails when I reply. If not, where did my 7k speeds go and why is my computer now an oven? -_-

Your only option at this point is to find an older bios that doesn't have this issue but doesn't produce other breaking issues either and simply downgrade. It is what a lot of us are having to do, even on newer models than you that are still within the product support range. It's a shame that we have to resort to this and I genuinely am starting to feel like the ASUS technical and support team quality has deteriorated.

A lot of the ASUS laptops I have purchased seem to come with an annoying fan resonance that is outside the expected range of noise as well as the well known FTPM issue now effecting AMD systems. And if you send your product in, it has a chance of coming back in worse shape or they will simply deny that there is any problem at all.

I've been in contact with ASUS too and I am currently building a report that documents the problems as well as the lack of any real support or ability to take responsibility for issues.

Psyched wrote:
Your only option at this point is to find an older bios that doesn't have this issue but doesn't produce other breaking issues either and simply downgrade. It is what a lot of us are having to do, even on newer models than you that are still within the product support range. It's a shame that we have to resort to this and I genuinely am starting to feel like the ASUS technical and support team quality has deteriorated.

A lot of the ASUS laptops I have purchased seem to come with an annoying fan resonance that is outside the expected range of noise as well as the well known FTPM issue now effecting AMD systems. And if you send your product in, it has a chance of coming back in worse shape or they will simply deny that there is any problem at all.

I've been in contact with ASUS too and I am currently building a report that documents the problems as well as the lack of any real support or ability to take responsibility for issues.

After backflashing the oldest bios that they have available for my rig, I've found that it still doesn't restore any former fan speeds. So I have returned to the 314 build. It really is a shame, ASUS support is being entirely dismissive, as they were with the reports of the newer models, except they have told me there are no plans to fix it. My case keeps getting passed around and around. I'm starting to get a bit sick of it.