cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS FIX THIS! GL Series: ALL display panels affected by inverse ghosting

hexaae
Level 12
Inverse ghosting reported by many users with display panel AUO B173HAN03.2 [AUO329D] (GL703GS). Also with G-Sync OFF and in fullscreen or window. Look at the borders of the distant objects and you'll see an ugly dark ghost trail while moving mouse.
https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ (Ghosting explained)

List of currently known affected panels:

Clevo P775DM3-G - LGLP173WF4-SPF1 75 Hz Only G-Sync+dx12
Acer Predator G5-793 - LP173WF4-SPF1 75 Hz Only G-Sync+dx12
Asus GL702VS - AUO B173HAN01.1 (AUO119D) 120 Hz Only G-Sync+dx12 (fixable using driver 376.06)
Asus G701VIK - AUO B173HAN01.1 (AUO119D) 120 Hz Only G-Sync+dx12 (fixable using driver 376.06)
Asus GL702VI - AUO B173HAN01.1 (AUO119D) 120 Hz Only G-Sync+dx12 (fixable using driver 376.06)
Asus GL703GS - AUO B173HAN03.2 (AUO329D) 144 Hz Every situation
ASUS G703GX - AUO B173HAN03.2 (AUO329D) 144Hz or AUO B173HAN04.0 (AUO409D) 144Hz
MSI GT75 - CMN N173HHE-G32 (CMN1747) 144Hz
ASUS GX701 - AUO B173HAN04.0 (AUO409D) 144Hz Every situation (?)

ROG STRIX G731GU model (1660Ti) - LP173WFG-SPB3 144Hz

Tested laptops that are NOT affected:
Asus G703VI - AUO B173HAN03.0 (AUO309D) 144 Hz
Asus G752VM - LG LP173WF4-SPF3 75 Hz
Acer Predator Helios 500 - AUO B173HAN03 144 Hz
MSI GT73VR - Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 (CMN1747) 120 Hz
MSI GT75VR - Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 (CMN1747) 120 Hz

NVidia forum link to the parallel discussion thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1086685/geforce-drivers/inverse-ghosting-display-issues-wit...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
90 REPLIES 90

I have been struggling with this problem for over a year. I play a little, but when I do, when I start the game I get very nervous sometimes.
Interestingly, there are games that are not susceptible to reverse ghosting, such as Ghost Recon Wildlands. This effect is practically not visible there. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's literally 1.
But there are games like Anno 1800 where reverse ghosting totally destroys the graphics experience. The game is unreadable when moving the picture.
I have already installed various versions of Windows 10 and various versions of drivers (nvidia), various versions of Asus software. The only thing I didn't do was voodoo magic.
I even tried to change the LCD on my laptop but there is nothing but the defective AUO80ED on the market that fits to my GX502.

Nothing works. Don't believe all the fixes that are supposed to work. NOTHING WORKS.
The only thing you can do before buying a laptop - read on the forums if this problem affects a specific laptop model.
Worse, however, it may not save you, there are models with different LCD`s from different suppliers ...

hexaae
Level 12
Yep, the problem is also that many users won't even notice it. I've found people with the issue clearly visible that didn't understand what I was talking about: some may think it's normal panel behaviour "because has low latency"... but it's not of course. Is actually a poor display manufacturing defect, and ASUS should have at least tuned them better. But it looks like even ASUS QA didn't notice the defect... sigh

In the end I got used to it and I just ignore it (the side effect could even be benign in some cases: looks like a sort of special software blur adding increased definition to 3D objects borders while moving the cam, because of the dark extra outline it adds as a side-effect)

Example (Italian language notes, but I think is clear enough from the pic itself):
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

The solution was simple. I noticed with Vsync activated, some games like... mafia remake for example was stuck at 60fps, when my display is 144hz so it makes no sense. I put it in window mode (without borders for enjoying it of course) and... no ghosting playing at 60fps also.

So in the games I have ghosting, vsync is stuck at 60fps, to avoid that I use window mode, then the game somehow knows I am on a 144hz display and it overcome the 60fps and try to reach 144 (I limit it to 60 or whatever I want from nvidia control panel)

For some reason ghosting appears when vsync is on and does not overcome 60fps (It appears when vsync is off too but only if what I just said is true ). It may be a bug of some games or a driver issue, not sure but this is working for me and hopefully for everybody.

My laptop is an Asus Rog Strix G17 G712W

hexaae
Level 12
No it's not a bad vsync problem my friend.... EVERYTHING has been already tested included vsync/non-vsync/g-sync etc. It's a hw problem of some panels.
....Anyway not being able to use fullscreen mode is not a solution.
--

Same problem.

ASUS ROG Strix G731GU LCD panel LP173WFG-SPB1 (lgd0620)

This problem usually occurs when the monitor is turned on at the highest overdrive level. The problem is solved by disabling or lowering the overdrive level in the monitor settings.

But how to disable overdrive on the laptop LCD panel? :confused:

Some useful information

https://blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/response_time.htm

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/monitors/the-dark-side-of-overdrive/5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HouzyBq7_U (on russian)

My laptop is G731GU EV098T with LCD LP173WFG-SPB1 (if I'm not mistaken, now not near the laptop) 144Hz and 1660Ti. I also faced with inverse ghosting too (it's horrible expecially on 60Hz). I noticed that if I switch from 144Hz to 60Hz and remove and reinstall RefreshRateService (2.0.3), it fixes inverse ghosting. And even I switch to 144Hz everything is fine. But if I restart the OS then reverse ghosting comes back and I again need to switch to 60Hz, remove and install RefreshRateService and then switch to 144Hz. Its annoing but works for me.

ta444 wrote:
My laptop is G731GU EV098T with LCD LP173WFG-SPB1 (if I'm not mistaken, now not near the laptop) 144Hz and 1660Ti. I also faced with inverse ghosting too (it's horrible expecially on 60Hz). I noticed that if I switch from 144Hz to 60Hz and remove and reinstall RefreshRateService (2.0.3), it fixes inverse ghosting. And even I switch to 144Hz everything is fine. But if I restart the OS then reverse ghosting comes back and I again need to switch to 60Hz, remove and install RefreshRateService and then switch to 144Hz. Its annoing but works for me.

All right.
On conventional monitors, this problem is easily solved by disabling overdrive in the monitor menu.
But in our case, we cannot enter the monitor menu.

In the program ASUS Armory Crate, by default, there is no overdrive mode switch. To appear, you need to install a separate program RefreshRateService.

After installing RefreshRateService, the button for enabling / disabling overdrive appears in ASUS Armory Crate menu, and the overdrive is disabled, and the inverse ghosting / overshot disappears.

But after a reboot, the overdrive turns on again and no longer responds to the overdrive on / off button.

Summarize.
The problem is not with laptop screens, but with software.
ASUS company needs to fix the RefreshRateService program, but for some reason the asus does not.

I wrote to asus tech support 1 month ago, but there was no response.

AstraL154 wrote:
All right.
On conventional monitors, this problem is easily solved by disabling overdrive in the monitor menu.
But in our case, we cannot enter the monitor menu.

In the program ASUS Armory Crate, by default, there is no overdrive mode switch. To appear, you need to install a separate program RefreshRateService.

After installing RefreshRateService, the button for enabling / disabling overdrive appears in ASUS Armory Crate menu, and the overdrive is disabled, and the inverse ghosting / overshot disappears.

But after a reboot, the overdrive turns on again and no longer responds to the overdrive on / off button.

Summarize.
The problem is not with laptop screens, but with software.
ASUS company needs to fix the RefreshRateService program, but for some reason the asus does not.

I wrote to asus tech support 1 month ago, but there was no response.

For me, enabling / disabling overdrive in ASUS Armory Crate menu has not effect. Fix only works if 1) switch to 60Hz; 2) uninstall RefreshRateService (via uninstall.exe); 3) install RefreshRateService again; 4) It works even switch to 144Hz; 5) After reboot goto 1 step

I use linux as second OS, how to fix it in linux I have no idea.

I also wrote to Asus support and they said it single case and sent me to local repair service.

ta444 wrote:
For me, enabling / disabling overdrive in ASUS Armory Crate menu has not effect. Fix only works if 1) switch to 60Hz; 2) uninstall RefreshRateService (via uninstall.exe); 3) install RefreshRateService again; 4) It works even switch to 144Hz; 5) After reboot goto 1 step

I use linux as second OS, how to fix it in linux I have no idea.

I also wrote to Asus support and they said it single case and sent me to local repair service.

I do this:
1) uninstall RefreshRateService,
2)reboot,
3)installing RefreshRateService, overdrive is switched off until the first reboot. After reboot go to step 1

AstraL154
Level 9
ASUS hey, hello there anyone alive?