cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding RAM and soutions? Strix Scar II GL704GW

BigOhrstrom
Level 7
I realized I posted in the wrong forum so posting here as well.

Hey!

I have recently purchased a Strix Scar II Gl704GW, 17" with RTX2070. Unfortunately, this ships in sweden with 1x16GB, causing game performance to lower fairly much. What was fortunate for me, was that I believed it had 2x8GB, because that was the information from the reseller, and this mistake and the consequences led to them compensating me a bit for the problems, so I can cheaply get an additional RAM stick.

This new ram stick does not have the exact same CAS but apparently via a setting in BIOS you can make sure the faster RAM slows down its CAS to make them work together perfectly.

My question is, how do I do this in BIOS. I checked in there and couldnt really find any such settings, I was told one should make sure VMP or similar is off. Maybe it was not visible since I still have only 1 memorystick installed for now, either way I thought Id check with you guys to see if theres anything specific I need to consider or do to get sorted.

Addition:
I have now added more memory but they appear to be running on different CAS - atleast in CPU-Z. I checked again after installing and the BIOS appears very limited no real options for the memory at all, am I missing something or are Asus plain mad installing 1 single SLOW memory stick that there no reseller for in the nordic area, with no options to match different memory?

According to CPU-Z it has clocked down my memory to 2400, so it works in dual but appears to have clocked them down from 2666 for some reason. Any suggestions on what to do here? Feels ridiculous to be locked to finding an obscure samsung memory stick to get optimal performance.
9 REPLIES 9

wjyzxcv
Level 7
My GL504GW also came with 1x16GB and I added another stick of ram (CT16G4SFD8266 to be specific). It worked automatically in dual channel mode, same frequency and latency as before. Hope it helps.

I have GL504GV. it came with one 16gb stick. I added another one with slightly better spec. Runs correct speed in dual channel. Performance increase in games is significant.

I bought off Amazon (I am in Canada). Here is description:

Timetec Hynix DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL19 1Rx8 Single Rank 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook Computer Memory RAM Module Upgrade (16GB)

CPU-Z still shows the memory as 1333Mhz because the memory is Double Data Rate (DDR) and runs at effective bandwidth of 2666Mhz. CPU-Z shows channel as dual.

The SPD tab shows available JEDEC settings available to use by the RAM chip. The Memory tab will show what is actually being used between the both of them by the BIOS.

I don't see anywhere in BIOS to select the memory timings . Fortunately mine worked. I think Asus BIOS here auto-detects.

brian68 wrote:
I have GL504GV. it came with one 16gb stick. I added another one with slightly better spec. Runs correct speed in dual channel. Performance increase in games is significant.

I bought off Amazon (I am in Canada). Here is description:

Timetec Hynix DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL19 1Rx8 Single Rank 260 Pin SODIMM Laptop Notebook Computer Memory RAM Module Upgrade (16GB)

CPU-Z still shows the memory as 1333Mhz because the memory is Double Data Rate (DDR) and runs at effective bandwidth of 2666Mhz. CPU-Z shows channel as dual.

The SPD tab shows available JEDEC settings available to use by the RAM chip. The Memory tab will show what is actually being used between the both of them by the BIOS.

I don't see anywhere in BIOS to select the memory timings . Fortunately mine worked. I think Asus BIOS here auto-detects.

Thanks for the information, what memory does CPU-Z say you had to begin with? Mine is a samsung with CAS 19, maybe if I get that crucial with CAS 19 they match better and provide me with 2666, I dont know if the performance suffers all that much but feels kinda dumb to buy a memory that doesnt match as good as possible if there are other ones that do.

BigOhrstrom wrote:
Thanks for the information, what memory does CPU-Z say you had to begin with? Mine is a samsung with CAS 19, maybe if I get that crucial with CAS 19 they match better and provide me with 2666, I dont know if the performance suffers all that much but feels kinda dumb to buy a memory that doesnt match as good as possible if there are other ones that do.

I'm getting a GL704GV myself and am planning on getting a 2x8GB kit from Crucial when I can. Just wish it weren't so damned expensive. Never installed RAM modules before so this should be interesting figuring out how to configure it. Lemme know how it works out!

Im going to return my current second memory and I have ordered another which is supposed to be exactly the same as the one thats in the computer. Will take a couple of days to get the new one but I will send an update when I get it.

I have seen from a few sources that 32GB isnt bad to make computers perform at their best now and forward, so if you get a single 16GB in your laptop you could consider just finding a similar one.

Kytharsis wrote:
I'm getting a GL704GV myself and am planning on getting a 2x8GB kit from Crucial when I can. Just wish it weren't so damned expensive. Never installed RAM modules before so this should be interesting figuring out how to configure it. Lemme know how it works out!

i have now installed and tested with the new memory. It runs in the correct speed and the benchmark result yields 93 fps on max settings compared to 89 before with mismatched memorysticks.

EDIT: Continued testing and getting a consistent 98 fps, so quite a bit improved from 2400 mismatched as well.

BigOhrstrom wrote:
i have now installed and tested with the new memory. It runs in the correct speed and the benchmark result yields 93 fps on max settings compared to 89 before with mismatched memorysticks.

EDIT: Continued testing and getting a consistent 98 fps, so quite a bit improved from 2400 mismatched as well.

Hi, I'm a newbie, may I know the exact brand and model. Number of the 16gb ram that you mixed with the Samsung ram? Thanks.

TX2000
Level 8
i have the GL504GW and this is the ram i got. Is working in dual channel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KP8CGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TX2000 wrote:
i have the GL504GW and this is the ram i got. Is working in dual channel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KP8CGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you very much!