cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

950 pro on m.2 for gl552vw-dh71 or sata m2

dinoshan
Level 7
There have been countless discussions on the compatibility issue regarding the m.2 slot of GL552VW /GL752VW and similar series using nvme ssd and failing without success. And I have come to believe in that and have posted on some topics as replies of this same understanding that nvme is a big no, while the 850 evo works flawlessly for this model. As stated by many in the forums, the difference being the protocols of sata and nvme but with the same connector m.2 resulting in confusion for the less technical person like myself. I've yet to purchase an evo yet, but yet again finding articles about nvme 950 pro m.2 ssd working on 975 chipsets. It seems like 950 pro has the ability to be installed in non nvme slots. I don't know how this could be possible, but I got some information about some installation procedures that seem to get around issues of nvme drives initialised for some systems. I hope some one who have nvme on their hands, find a breakthrough so that sata laptops would be able to use nvme ssd.

Step by step prep for Windows 10 boot from NVMe
From Download Windows 10, use the Download Tool 64-bit link to get MediaCreationToolx64.exe
Insert a USB 3.0 flash drive such as the SanDisk Ultra Fit
Format the flash drive in UEFI format
Create the bootable install media
insert this flash drive into one of the USB 3.0 ports
The default is Legacy, change these [and BIOS boot mode] to EFI
power up
press Del to get into BIOS
set BIOS to defaults, reboot
set BIOS to UEFI mode
go to SATA Configuration
change all SSDs you have from Hard Disk Drive to Solid State Drive
press ESC, then select PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration
select M.2 PCI-E 3.0 X4, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
select SLOT 7 PCI-E 3.0 X16, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
optionally, for better speed, select Onboard Video Option ROM,
change from default [Legacy] to [EFI], this allows you to do the next step
press ESC, select Security, select CSM Support, change from default [Legacy] to [EFI]
press ESC, select Boot Settings, Boot Mode Select, change from [Dual] default to [UEFI]
press ESC, .Save Changes and Reset

if you have no data on any drives, your system will likely automatically boot from the USB drive
(if not, press F11 at boot time to manually select USB UEFI)
perform a normal Windows 10 installation, you'll have a GPT drive type,
and if you clone it someday to a >2TB drive, it will still be bootable
for this drive, the speed is slower with Windows 10's Microsoft NVMe driver,
from Samsung's SSD site, download and install the Samsung NVMe Driver Installer,
then reboot when prompted

Hope this works
P.S. This is for 950 pro only.
0 REPLIES 0