Level 12

Sign the petition please (change.org) 📝

Screenshot_20240210_012057_edit_14922096939254.jpg

✍️ -> https://chng.it/DH9rDNBJS9

QR code available on the link above ⬆️

Screenshot_20240210_012553_edit_15166770124630.jpg

Asus needs to end mandatory bios update through windows update 

It should go into optional drivers section of windows update, period

We still want new bios and drivers, new features, improvements, of course, but bios update should be always optional

31 REPLIES 31

Scar16 _4090 , I did my 2 BIOs updates ( I currently have the 321 since 2 weeks ago) only using the MyAsus software which come s pre installed on your laptop. I never, ever use Windows to do a BIOs update because I know Microsoft often botch their updates with bugs. I have done 2 BIOs updates using My Asus since I bought my laptop 4 months ago an d both went like a charm. All I had to do was click on the install button and make sure not to turn the laptop off . It was done automatically by the software in 10 minutes.

Whats your laptop model?

2023 asus laptops, the bios update are installed using windows update, theres no way to block it or cancel it

I have the Asus ROG Strix G18 with the i9 13 980HX, 32gb of Gddr6 RAM and the GTX 4070 gpu. A nice upgrade over my super reliable and performing 2017  Acer Predator G792 gaming laptop. For my I used the MyAsus  software which came pre installed on the laptop.There's a Live Update option. I click on it once a week and I have had 6 updates done through ti since I purchased it back in August, 2 Realtek sound drivers, 2 BIOs updates( 320 and 321) and 2 Asus Control Interface v3 .All went very smoothly with minimum intervention. The software checks for updates regularly and will warn you that one is available. You just click on the download and install option and it's done automatically a bit like Geforce Experience Nvidia drivers updates. Even my old Acer also had something similar to update the laptop once ina while.

Leroy_D
Level 8

If someone uses the asus app and installs the bios update it won't show up in windows update.

The truth is bios updates were never meant to be installed on a functional device. It's recommended to only update the bios if something doesn't work.

As someone mentioned before it should go into optional drivers section of windows update instead of auto. I'm unsure if there's a way to set that. Also it doesn't matter what type of device. All the laptops I issue at my company from HPs, Dells, Asus ...they all do it. So it's a Microsoft issue more than likely. But asus could flag the download to not run on windows home or something.

AIf someone uses the asus app and installs the bios update it won't show up in windows update.@

And may be this is the reason the My Asus app does exist to make those BIOs and other crucial updates pain-free and smooth?

as for your second argument that one should only update BIOs on a functional device my question to you is: How exactly do you know ghat Asus technicians did not discover a potential damaging flaw in their product and produced a BIOs update precisely to prevent such a risk? Unless you have insider knowledge about Asus products you wouldn't know! Asus certainly would not make public such such a potential problem to avoid hurting their sales. and reputation

Scar16_4090
Level 12

@Frinik22 obviously if you update the bios, it will never be updated with windows update, since you already have updated the bios...

Also, i see that you didn't use the 319 bios, so that's why you don't any complaints regarding bios updates until now

If you think you will never have issues with a bios update, ever, you will be surprised soon enough 

If you update every single time a bios update shows up, you will have issues

Neverless, like I said before, bios update should be optional and not mandatory

You want to update, then do it 

The others don't need to do it 

Nobody is prohibiting you from updating anything, so I don't understand your complaints mate

@Leroy_D

"The truth is bios updates were never meant to be installed on a functional device. It's recommended to only update the bios if something doesn't work.

As someone mentioned before it should go into optional drivers section of windows update instead of auto."

This 10000000x 

100% agreed 👍💯💯‌ 

I will update the 1st post and the petition with your quotes

Scar16_4090, I have owned a total of 16 laptops - including 7 gaming ones - and I have had to update BIOs many times in the past. Always without issues and never using MS updates.

When I purchased my Asus Strix G18  in August, it came with BIOs version 319 already installed and the laptop worked just fine. I was not even aware of any problem with 319 until I started reading the ROG Forum threads back in October after installing BIOs version 320 in late September?

I am not complaining about anything I am just arguing that trying to convince people to avoid BIOs updates based on one incident  that happened to you does not make sense to me. But if you want to make BIOs updates optional go ahead although I don't know if it possible to have that option. Asus may also use the pretext of not installing a BIOs a condition not to honour your laptop's warranty if any defect occurs afterwards. Just to be clear give it a try with your petition but I doubt Asus will go for it.

Rammouz
Level 10

Automatic updates should not exist via Windows Update. They should be optional, via My Asus and via the website.

If Asus wants to keep theme in Windows Update, then place them under the Optional section.

ASUS G18 - RTX 4080 - 32GB DDR5 5600 MHZ - I9-13980HX.

The questions is is Asus using Windows update to push their BIOs updates or is it a quirk of Microsoft Windows which is g doing that?

Scar16_4090
Level 12

@Rammouz 100% agreed mate 👍💯

@Frinik22, one incident? It could be one acident but it was massive, dropping the performance by 20 or 30% because of a bios is not that big of a deal to you?

I had many laptops, many PCs, I'm 35 years old, been using PCs since 13 years old

And yes, many times, bios updates brings problems, this is not an isolated case, this happens many times

And we are not against bios updates, I think i speak for everyone here, we want new bios updates

We just want the bios update to be optional 

Asus release a new bios and as soon as I turn the laptop on, the bios is there automatically forced to update, I can't do nothing 

What if I don't want to update straightaway? What if I'm busy doing work etc?...

We want the bios updates to be optional, I want to install the bios update when I want

That's the problem 

We are not against bios updates

We want the bios updates to be optional, I want to install the bios update when I want

I think everything is clear now right?

@Frinik22 we don't know if is Asus that doing this or the problem is Microsoft but Asus is the only company doing this at the moment as far as I know

Asus didn't comment about this subject until now 

So we don't know who's the one to blame Microsoft or asus

But i suspect is Asus 

P.S

Ive just tried to rollback to bios 318,and I'm not allowed, if you update through windows update, the laptop bios will try to. Install the newest one everytime you reboot 

The file gets stored somewhere

The only way to workaround this is to do a clean windows install 

Imagine that