cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I RMA this monitor? ASUS ROG PG279Q (Backlight bleed)

ragequit4life
Level 7
I got this monitor today and it's an amazing monitor for sure but I'm not sure about this monitor's backlight bleed is little too much or acceptable. I don't really notice the backlight bleed during gaming unless I'm playing games with dark environment then I would notice this bleed a little.

It doesn't have any dead pixel, all fine btw.

Your thought?
8 REPLIES 8

Janne-71
Level 7
Take a pic in the dark with 40% brigthness then i tell my oppinion. But it all comes down to if it bothers you or not. I have some bleed on right upper corner but it does not bother me so..yep. Anyway IF you rma they(asus) will evaluate (from pics you send them) the severity of the bleed and rma or not ...it's not guaranteed rma.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
ragequit4life wrote:
I got this monitor today and it's an amazing monitor for sure but I'm not sure about this monitor's backlight bleed is little too much or acceptable. I don't really notice the backlight bleed during gaming unless I'm playing games with dark environment then I would notice this bleed a little.

It doesn't have any dead pixel, all fine btw.

Your thought?

Yours doesn't look to bad on the BLB. If you look through some of the older posts about back light bleed on this monitor you will find much worse. I would say buy the extended warranty on it if its available that ways you can take it back in three years and tell them all your issues with it then. But for now I think this is one of the best monitors out there and for 165hz at 1440p IPS is the best we got right now.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Your BLB does not look too bad. Have you tried adjusting your brightness settings in range 30-50 range, and setting the blue light feature to level 4?

Lacan
Level 7
My recently purchased one has minor black light bleed similar to yours in the upper right hand corner. It is impossible to get a perfect one, and the replacement may be worse than your original. See the post with the guy with 3 of the PG279Q and yellow screens. I suggest you throw up a movie/game see if it bothers you and are able to live with it.

Is there a reason people are running these at 30+ percent brightness levels? All 3 of mine are set to 23 and is more than bright enough.

Janne-71
Level 7
I run it at 40% brightness because i like it more that way. But i would not go over 50% with this monitor no need.

Edit: actually in my case you are right, i am using a color profile designed for 23% brighness so i think colors and contrast look a little better if i use 23 instead of 40. Going to try with 23 for sometime.

Here's mine in a dark room at 40% brightness.

If you look at it, you can see the pattern of the backlight bleed is identical to yours.
Also, I checked 2 more monitors in the store and they had bleed at exactly the same spots on top left and bottom right, some less, some more.

The bottom right one I can see during normal gaming - but because it is in the peripheral view it does not bother me TOO much...

projix wrote:
Here's mine in a dark room at 40% brightness.

If you look at it, you can see the pattern of the backlight bleed is identical to yours.
Also, I checked 2 more monitors in the store and they had bleed at exactly the same spots on top left and bottom right, some less, some more.

The bottom right one I can see during normal gaming - but because it is in the peripheral view it does not bother me TOO much...

Here is what i got after rma (1 dead pixel). 40 or 45% brightness.