cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift "vs." Acer Predator XB270HU

Evo
Level 7
Hey there!

I know that this is like comparing two different fruits but before the release of the Acer one I was so sold on the RoG Swift. Now I would still like to buy it due to the whole esthethics, the matching designed UI, the 120hz G-Sync & ULMB compy and such stuff.

My question now is, is the ROG Swift really that "bad" as people say if it comes to color? I want to have a gaming monitor that gives me outstanding visiuals. Otherwise I wouldn't need such strong GPU's to play on max details.

I'm a bit handy capped due to my earlyer 2x EIZO FS2333 + 1x EIZO FS2434 setup. All of them were IPS but I couldn't get the middle one (FS2434) look as bright as the other ones. That did ofc. annoy me and as I said they were the exact same panel technology and the same panel.

So I don't know if I could stand the Swift in between 2 pro art monitors. I seriously would like to buy that monitor since it does look so great and would just fit beastly in my setup compared to the Acers "Meh" look but overall I never used a TN panel and no store close to me has the Swift to look at it.

Do you guys know any comparison videos between the swifts TN and IPS or something like this? That what I could find in terms of comparison did scare the heck out of me.
33,752 Views
9 REPLIES 9

X-ROG
Level 15
ANY monitor will look meh compared to an $$$$ Eizo. It's the industry standard for professional monitors. What you'll notice is that a 60Hz Eizo with a much slower pixel response latency (8-16ms) of SIPS will make them look almost blurry versus a PG at 144Hz/1ms. I would not recommend that kind of setup simply because the technologies and design purposes are so different.

The TN is still an 8-bit display, so while it doesn't have the viewing angles it still offers as good as most mainstream IPS for color. It's not pre-calibrated though - no gaming montiors are. If your eyes are particularly sensitive to color accuracy I would use calibration equipment.

Also your Eizo's are like DC/PWM mix and the PG is PWM backlight only. Very high frequency 'flicker free' but side by side you might notice the difference because the human eye is great at detecting differences between two things, but not one thing independent of another.

You've set me on a mission now. I might go upstairs to see if I can find a PA and PG to put side by side.

I would highly appreciate it. I wouldn't really call myself a ASUS fanboy but seriously guys, your SWIFT design naild it so badly. The Acer one has so many downsides. Glossy front finish, no 3D vision support, ugly UI, that whole stand is a mess and the blue light inidcator at the front is also just destroying my red / black theme.

I'm just affraid that the SWIFT will dissapoint me. As an example. On my very entry level eizo's in terms of gaming I could go into there smart insight tool and just change some settings and a whole black screen would change into a detailed cave where I could see many details even without picking up any light source in the game like a lighter or w/e. Specially in games like Dying light / the forst it was just awesome to play in the real dark.

I did read a lot about TN panels that just perform crap over there but I'm very sure that there is a difference between an entry level TN and a high end TN. Due to the fact that it will be my main screen between two pro art's I personally won't care about vertical viewing angles since I'll look directly on it.

I'm just a bit sad that your 120hz ips 1440p monitor will be midranged. Ofc, I can understand it im sure you guys make way more money on selling a lot of "cheaper" monitors with less features than on selling top notch ones. But since the Swift 4k is the next plan for your guys I would bet that the 1440p IPS or w/e better panel technology 144hz gsync 3d vision screen won't come before 2016.

I found this one:

swift "vs" qnix IPS

http://i.imgur.com/LltrRFc.jpg

On that pictue I actually prefer the swift since it doesn't overdo the lighting on for example the "window light" next to the white sign in the middle of the picture. I'll keep digging. Maybe I can sold myself again on it. Should definitly unsubscribe every tech website untill it arrives :'D.

Meh. I see where this is going. This one does show it of perfectly:

http://i.imgur.com/ErEpVPZ.jpg

The lighting, at least on the photo looks better in my opinion on the swift but if you look at the green leaves and so on you can clearly see that IPS can shine there. I'm really upset that no local store has one of these to preview. Even stores like Alternate. There headquater is like 2km away from me and they start to get quite big now but, 3. world tech country germany is shining at it's best :D.

w/e seems like I have to ask in some forums for a comparison picture by someone with a DSLR cam or something like that. I don't expect superior picture quality. But I wouldn't like to see that greyish color ing like you can cleraly see in like tek syndicates video for example.

Volt
Level 9
Evo wrote:
My question now is, is the ROG Swift really that "bad" as people say if it comes to color? I want to have a gaming monitor that gives me outstanding visiuals. Otherwise I wouldn't need such strong GPU's to play on max details.

...

Do you guys know any comparison videos between the swifts TN and IPS or something like this? That what I could find in terms of comparison did scare the heck out of me.


That's a good question.

I'm quite happy with my gaming experience with my SWIFT. Things look gorgeous, detailed, colorful and impressive. When I am sitting in my chair, right in front of it. But, if I get up, or move around, it looks noticeably different and worse, due to it being a TN monitor.

ASUS announced at CES in Janurary that there are coming out with one or two IPS ROG monitors. One is a 27" that can do 120Hz (maybe 144Hz eventually?), and another is a 4k Monitor that does 60Hz. But I don't know when you'll be able to buy them.

http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-swift-pg27aq-4k-uhd-g-sync,28337.html

The other day I was at FRYs and saw one of the LG 34" curved IPS wide monitors. That looked really nice, from all the angles. But, it's 60Hz. http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97

Volt wrote:
That's a good question.

I'm quite happy with my gaming experience with my SWIFT. Things look gorgeous, detailed, colorful and impressive. When I am sitting in my chair, right in front of it. But, if I get up, or move around, it looks noticeably different and worse, due to it being a TN monitor.

ASUS announced at CES in Janurary that there are coming out with one or two IPS ROG monitors. One is a 27" that can do 120Hz (maybe 144Hz eventually?), and another is a 4k Monitor that does 60Hz. But I don't know when you'll be able to buy them.

http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-swift-pg27aq-4k-uhd-g-sync,28337.html

The other day I was at FRYs and saw one of the LG 34" curved IPS wide monitors. That looked really nice, from all the angles. But, it's 60Hz. http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97



I didn't click the links but I guess the on is the 120hz monitor without G-Sync and the other one is the 4k swift one. 4K is not for me since I would need to buy the next gen of every gpu on the market just to drive current games on 4k with 30fps .. just meh. Also if GPU's get so strong to drive 4k on 144fps I would prefer to stay with 1440p just to never upgrade again. Imagine how long a 4k 144fps gpu could stay on 1080... / 1440p ...

stealth83
Level 7
Just got my swift today, it has a manufacture date of Dec. 2014 I used the ICC thats on the disk and did a couple of tweaks and the monitor is perfect. Everything works as it should and I have NO dead or stuck pixels. So I have been on the bench for 2 months and was going to get the Acer but seeing them all sold out so fast and not wanting to wait anymore I got the swift and am so happy I did.

Volt
Level 9
There is no mention of g-sync for that 120hz monitor.

Good point about 4K monitors, and then needing even more powerful hardware for it.

Volt wrote:
There is no mention of g-sync for that 120hz monitor.

Good point about 4K monitors, and then needing even more powerful hardware for it.


Meh. I'm just screwed by the company that does Acer's panels. I'm so pissed off that there is no damn store showing the SWIFT in person. Sadly I currently tend so much in the direction of the acer one. Why ASUS, why! :'<. I just hope to hear from Marshall and get a good comparison between a TN and a IPS panel.

Korth
Level 14
You may not find a Swift on display, but side-by-side comparisons of TN vs IPS displays reveal general colour characteristics well enough. The Swift excels at what it was built for - displaying motion. There's no real substitute for firsthand observation, since any online comparison is ultimately going to be limited by whatever display you currently use.

I found a Swift on display at Staples, oddly enough, and at a surprisingly low price. A friend tells me they're also at Wal-Mart. I never expected to see top end enthusiast-/gamer-dedicated niche gear outside of places like NCIX, Future Shop, or Best Buy - but the big box stores are the ones with enough floor space to proudly display their wares.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You may not find a Swift on display, but side-by-side comparisons of TN vs IPS displays reveal general colour characteristics well enough. The Swift excels at what it was built for - displaying motion. There's no real substitute for firsthand observation, since any online comparison is ultimately going to be limited by whatever display you currently use.

I found a Swift on display at Staples, oddly enough, and at a surprisingly low price. A friend tells me they're also at Wal-Mart. I never expected to see top end enthusiast-/gamer-dedicated niche gear outside of places like NCIX, Future Shop, or Best Buy - but the big box stores are the ones with enough floor space to proudly display their wares.


Well, I just have to figure out how Acer's 144HZ IPS panel will play it's cards and wait for some reviews. A lot of people said that the IPS panel is not that bad so let see. After reading about the "sneaky 8 bit panel" (Something liek that it is more 8 bit in terms of speed but not in terms of color accuracy) I feel even more cheesy going with it.

But anyways, thanks for your input :p.