cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG32UQ

TEG2TEG
Level 7
I have a new gaming rig with Radeon RX 6900 XT graphics card and I am looking forward to doing 4K @ 120hz 10 bit HDR when the new crop of HDMI 2.1 monitors are available.

I looked with interest at the CES 2021 announcement of the ROG Swift PG32UQ, and want to find out how to get one.
I know they aren't shipping quite yet, but does anyone know if there are pre-orders available anywhere?
31 REPLIES 31

2TEG2 wrote:
So I managed to get one of these, but it only lasted about an hour then went completely dead and wouldn't power back on.

I ended up returning it and everyone is out of stock now. Sigh.

I took this screen capture before it died:

Received mine yesterday and had it on for a couple hours then went to bed. This morning I went to turn it on and its also completely dead. I’m returning it back to Amazon tomorrow but yeah I’m actually pissed.

Firmware v024 was just uploaded on the PG32UQ support page and I was able to successfully update my monitor. The notes say it's to "Optimize HDR performance."

Specifically what improvements were made I have no idea. Does it change tone mapping or the local dimming algorithm? Also, does anyone know the difference between ASUS Gaming HDR, ASUS Cinema HDR, and Console Mode in the OSD HDR setting?

If possible, for future updates I'd like to request color adjustment settings in the sRGB emulation mode for those of us with calibration hardware. At the moment, I have to rely on the generated LUT in my ICC profile to set my desired white point for sRGB. I can adjust the OSD setting in the default Racing mode, but colors are still over saturated in this mode for non color managed apps.

Ecmslee wrote:
Firmware v024 was just uploaded on the PG32UQ support page and I was able to successfully update my monitor. The notes say it's to "Optimize HDR performance."

Specifically what improvements were made I have no idea. Does it change tone mapping or the local dimming algorithm? Also, does anyone know the difference between ASUS Gaming HDR, ASUS Cinema HDR, and Console Mode in the OSD HDR setting?

If possible, for future updates I'd like to request color adjustment settings in the sRGB emulation mode for those of us with calibration hardware. At the moment, I have to rely on the generated LUT in my ICC profile to set my desired white point for sRGB. I can adjust the OSD setting in the default Racing mode, but colors are still over saturated in this mode for non color managed apps.

Do you have played with v024 Firmware the game "Resident Evil Village"?

With v024, Local Dimming doesn't work anymore in this game. It is not accurate, over 90% of the time there is no local dimming.
Before the Update, it was working just fine.
Could you reproduce this?

Asus please check this Bug! This is very disappointing me 😞

PG32UQ Firmeare v024 - Picture below

Same game/settings with an Asus XG27AQ (Local Dimming just works fine here)

superrocko wrote:
Do you have played with v024 Firmware the game "Resident Evil Village"?

With v024, Local Dimming doesn't work anymore in this game. It is not accurate, over 90% of the time there is no local dimming.
Before the Update, it was working just fine.
Could you reproduce this?

Asus please check this Bug! This is very disappointing me 😞

PG32UQ Firmeare v024 - Picture below

Same game/settings with an Asus XG27AQ (Local Dimming just works fine here)

Hey man, thank you for this - did you check what the firmware was before you updated it?

Have you tried different games?

I think it was v015. Had to update anyway, because Bios didn't recognize PG32 correctly if you use hdmi for a second device. (TV)
So ignoring the update is not possible. Further, had some problems with two monitor setup and 144 HZ on desktop before upgrading.

Tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but same. Local Dimming works when starting, or on the menu, but in-game not.

superrocko wrote:
I think it was v015. Had to update anyway, because Bios didn't recognize PG32 correctly if you use hdmi for a second device. (TV)
So ignoring the update is not possible. Further, had some problems with two monitor setup and 144 HZ on desktop before upgrading.

Tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but same. Local Dimming works when starting, or on the menu, but in-game not.

Well I'm not entirely sure if something is working correctly on the monitor or not, as I'm not an expert on what I'm suppose to be looking for.

Mine seems to be working fine, I really struggled inserting the cables in the back however, they could have made that slightly easier. Also, I tried to OC it to 144Hz and I selected 12 bit colour, and I thought I had bricked it. I swapped cables, and removed OC from the monitor menu somehow then defaulted it back to 60Hz to remove the 12 bit and then it was fine...

I'm currently using 120Hz with 12 bit, and I believe 144Hz works with 10 bit but I just selected 8 bit to be on the safe side.

Does your monitor OC to 155Hz? The local dimming is that where it smears the screen around the mouse pointer for example? I've turned HDR off for the most part, I believe that's just for movies.

I'm scared to update the firmware honestly...

Asus reverted the Firmware, it's no longer online 😉
I think because of my reported problems.

Local Dimming just don't work with v024.

superrocko wrote:
Asus reverted the Firmware, it's no longer online 😉
I think because of my reported problems.

Local Dimming just don't work with v024.

Yeah I noticed that myself when I was trying to find it - as I wanted to see if it knocked it out for me too before potentially returning it. I guess the monitor stays with me for now then.

I have one gripe, and it's probably to do with bandwidth and compression of DP vs HDMI - I would assume HDMI 2.1 would allow 144Hz native and 155Hz OC but it doesn't, I only have the option for 60Hz and 120Hz using the HDMI 2.1 cable. Have you seen that as well?

Well at least them pulling it from the website means they know about the issue and are probably working on a fix - which I hope is here soon for you.

HDMI 2.1 only support 4K up to 120 HZ, so 144 HZ with 4K are only possible with DP1.4 and DSC enabled.

And 12 bit is not possible as I know. 8 bit is SDR, 10 bit is HDR.

The HDMI 2.1 standard actually supports up to 10K at 120Hz with DSC at 48 Gbit/s. DP 2.0 leapfrogs that with up to 80 Gbit/s. Whether or not you will actually achieve that depends on your display and cables. The PG32UQ currently supports up to 144Hz over HDMI and 155Hz over DP (with OC).