cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG32UQ

TEG2TEG
Level 7
I have a new gaming rig with Radeon RX 6900 XT graphics card and I am looking forward to doing 4K @ 120hz 10 bit HDR when the new crop of HDMI 2.1 monitors are available.

I looked with interest at the CES 2021 announcement of the ROG Swift PG32UQ, and want to find out how to get one.
I know they aren't shipping quite yet, but does anyone know if there are pre-orders available anywhere?
31 REPLIES 31

superrocko wrote:
HDMI 2.1 only support 4K up to 120 HZ, so 144 HZ with 4K are only possible with DP1.4 and DSC enabled.

And 12 bit is not possible as I know. 8 bit is SDR, 10 bit is HDR.

I tried HDMI 2.1 with 120Hz and it let me select 12 bit, and everything was fine.

When I tried 144Hz however, my monitor went all black - I thought it was broken. I did some restart / hard reset and managed to switch to the other HDMI port to revert the settings to manually force lower settings in order to fix it. I'm not willing to test it again. It does however allow you to select 12 bit with the HDMI 2.1 at 120Hz.

Maybe somebody will laugh at my attempt, but it was on the first day when I was just trying to get 144Hz on maximum settings with HDMI 2.1 because I genuinely believed there was enough bandwidth coming out of the cables to allow for that.

DP 1.4 > HDMI 2.1 - there has to be some very finite extreme situations where this doesn't apply, which surprised me. It has to be down to the monitor, as I did not have this issue when I tried out the Asus TUF VG28UQL1A - I'm sure I only used the HDMI 2.1 cable with that and it let me select 144Hz with 12 bit straight off the bat. Sadly, that one had a dead pixel and I sent it back, I can't even remember anymore as I've gone through around 10-20 monitors and I'm happy with this one, it is on the expensive side and part of me feels like a 1440p 27" would probably be the same for me, but it's a movie setup for me and my spouse so hopefully it'll last long enough to be worth the extra money.

So far it's worked like an absolute treat - except that one scare I had setting something beyond what was capable.

The monitor is 10-bit native. There is no benefit to sending it 12-bit color.

Zaheen wrote:

Well at least them pulling it from the website means they know about the issue and are probably working on a fix - which I hope is here soon for you.

Yes? I still see the 024 firmware.
Is this monitor any good? I'm waiting for my retailer to give it to me, but at this point I'm in doubt if I have to cancel the order or not.
I see lots of complaints on the web regarding this monitor. Tons of people who have a dead monitor.

Any help / suggestion?

RoG stuff recently has serious quality issues, right? Yesterday my RoG Claymore died as well....

darkcg wrote:
Yes? I still see the 024 firmware.
Is this monitor any good? I'm waiting for my retailer to give it to me, but at this point I'm in doubt if I have to cancel the order or not.
I see lots of complaints on the web regarding this monitor. Tons of people who have a dead monitor.

Any help / suggestion?

RoG stuff recently has serious quality issues, right? Yesterday my RoG Claymore died as well....

buy PG32UQ and enjoy 🙂

I downgraded now to v023, but still local dimming don't work.
It must be broken earlier, my initial firmware was something like v15, local dimming just works fine there.

Is it true that the monitor is noisy?

darkcg wrote:
Is it true that the monitor is noisy?

Nope.

superrocko wrote:
Nope.

I'm reading this on a review:
"Fan noise on the monitor is noticable, however I do have headphones on most of the time so its not as noticable( Might be annoyed for those who want it as quiet as possible)"

I thought the monitor was not using any fans, quite frankly.

Fan is only in UQX Modell, not on UQ.

Pastasauce wrote:
Received mine yesterday and had it on for a couple hours then went to bed. This morning I went to turn it on and its also completely dead. I’m returning it back to Amazon tomorrow but yeah I’m actually pissed.

Waiting for mine, fingers crossed.