cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG32UQ Unable to Access BIOS

Drejacks
Level 7
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Recently just built a rig with Maximus Apex Z690 i9-12900k and I am using a ROG Swift PG32UQ for the monitor.
My issue is that it is impossible to access the BIOS due to the time the monitor takes to initialize. I have disabled fast boot and allowed my USB hub to stay awake. I have tried using a wireless and wired keyboard and still cannot see the Asus logo where the window of opportunity lies to hit "Del" or "F2"... it goes directly to the Windows logon screen when restarted or when powering on from being shutdown.
I have the latest BIOS for the MOBO and firmware version 0204 for the monitor.

If I switch to a generic HP monitor I am able to see the Asus logo and hit the "Del" keys and thus access the bios, but not on the ROG Swift PG32UQ.

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
52 REPLIES 52

Drejacks wrote:
I am using EVGA FTW 3090 for a GPU.

That shouldn't be an issue then!

I basically have the same setup as you and have had this issue. It certainly seems odd, but what works for me is when I turn the PC on I wait 1 second and then turn the monitor on. The monitor seems to recognize the PC and I can see the BIOS prompt. Hope this helps.

kevnmurphy wrote:
I basically have the same setup as you and have had this issue. It certainly seems odd, but what works for me is when I turn the PC on I wait 1 second and then turn the monitor on. The monitor seems to recognize the PC and I can see the BIOS prompt. Hope this helps.

What graphic card are you using at the time of the issue? You use the verb "have had". Does this mean you have solved the problem definitely? How?
If I wait before turning on the monitor, works. But this can't be a solution forever.

I have a 3090 Founders Edition GPU.

Of course I said that I can enter the bios from a fresh power on, but ever since I stated that I even have issues sometimes entering the bios. I don't know why the PC wouldn't recognize a keystroke even if the monitor isn't up and running. Maybe it is a combo issue problem between the mobo and monitor.

On my Z690-E Mobo, I enabled the graphics to use PCI and On board. It seems that having a Displayport cable plugged into the onboard graphics, the PG32UQ has an easier time getting to the bios via DP.
I am still playing around with the Nvidia control panel to see how it will use the "dual" screen stuff since Windows thinks there are two monitors. I may either duplicate the displays or show only on 1 display which would be the HDMI port.

Another thing I forgot to mention is changing the POST time to 10 seconds and turn off Fast Boot.
This seems to help.

I do agree that using DP seems to yield better results as far as accessing the BIOS. My experience is the opposite of yours when you stated that you wake your PC up first, then turn on the monitor. I have seen results when the monitor is on first (I usually toggle the settings menu to keep an onscreen display active) and then turn on the PC.
If I do it in the opposite order, and the MOBO happens to not recognize the monitor, it will either not post or the Q-LED will stay white.

All I can hope for is that a future update will fix this.

Yes. It seems nothing is that consistent after messing with options more. The 10 second POST thing does nothing for me actually. The only real way I can get into BIOS via HDMI is from a fresh power on with turning the monitor on after 1 second. Otherwise, I connect the DP cable to the motherboard and that works every time.
Not that I care to enter the BIOS all the time, just would be nice to have the monitor respond quickly. It just takes forever to recognize a signal. Even from waking the PC up and the monitor on idle.
I am on V023 for firmware as I can't seem to update it to 024. Maybe 024 is a little better at some of these things.

Looks like a issue with asus monitors and displayport 1.4 as I also have this same issue with the tuf gaming vg28uql1a as I have 2 lg monitors that are displayport 1.2 and they work fine. All asus support does is request me to do an rma which I did and still same issue. Happening on a rog xiii hero and a 3080ti

Turb-z79 wrote:
Looks like a issue with asus monitors and displayport 1.4 as I also have this same issue with the tuf gaming vg28uql1a as I have 2 lg monitors that are displayport 1.2 and they work fine. All asus support does is request me to do an rma which I did and still same issue. Happening on a rog xiii hero and a 3080ti

I'm using a Z690 Hero with a Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 (DisplayPort 1.2) and the problem is still there, so I don't think it's specifically applicable to DisplayPort 1.4

kevnmurphy wrote:
Yes. It seems nothing is that consistent after messing with options more. The 10 second POST thing does nothing for me actually. The only real way I can get into BIOS via HDMI is from a fresh power on with turning the monitor on after 1 second. Otherwise, I connect the DP cable to the motherboard and that works every time.
Not that I care to enter the BIOS all the time, just would be nice to have the monitor respond quickly. It just takes forever to recognize a signal. Even from waking the PC up and the monitor on idle.
I am on V023 for firmware as I can't seem to update it to 024. Maybe 024 is a little better at some of these things.

No, v024 doesn't improve anything for this problem (I have it and the problem is the same).
One strange thing though: I can hook the signal with the HDMI (only when windows has fully started though) but I have an hard time hooking the signal through the DisplayPort cable. This stuff is going me crazy.