cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG32UQ Unable to Access BIOS

Drejacks
Level 7
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Recently just built a rig with Maximus Apex Z690 i9-12900k and I am using a ROG Swift PG32UQ for the monitor.
My issue is that it is impossible to access the BIOS due to the time the monitor takes to initialize. I have disabled fast boot and allowed my USB hub to stay awake. I have tried using a wireless and wired keyboard and still cannot see the Asus logo where the window of opportunity lies to hit "Del" or "F2"... it goes directly to the Windows logon screen when restarted or when powering on from being shutdown.
I have the latest BIOS for the MOBO and firmware version 0204 for the monitor.

If I switch to a generic HP monitor I am able to see the Asus logo and hit the "Del" keys and thus access the bios, but not on the ROG Swift PG32UQ.

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
2,239 Views
52 REPLIES 52

xeromist
Moderator
You don't need to see the logo for it to work. Just start pressing the key repeatedly and once you get a picture you will be in the BIOS.

If you are getting no picture at all make sure you test with the same port and display cable you used with the HP monitor as something else could be going on.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You don't need to see the logo for it to work. Just start pressing the key repeatedly and once you get a picture you will be in the BIOS.

If you are getting no picture at all make sure you test with the same port and display cable you used with the HP monitor as something else could be going on.


The issue is if I start to do it as soon as the PC is awake or powered on, the monitor will keep cycling through off and on repeatedly until I force the PC to shut down.
I have tried the same port (the only one HDMI for the Graphics card). The same issue persists.

xeromist
Moderator
That sounds like more of an issue than just a delay in initialization. Typically the trick I mentioned works just fine when POST is faster than the monitor. So I feel like there is an actual conflict between the UEFI BIOS on that board and that monitor. Z690 is new so it's possible this may be addressed in a future BIOS update but for now I think you just have to use the other monitor to make configuration changes.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That sounds like more of an issue than just a delay in initialization. Typically the trick I mentioned works just fine when POST is faster than the monitor. So I feel like there is an actual conflict between the UEFI BIOS on that board and that monitor. Z690 is new so it's possible this may be addressed in a future BIOS update but for now I think you just have to use the other monitor to make configuration changes.


Yea that's the way it is looking. It is just a hassle when I need to go into the bios that I have to use another monitor. The price point that this monitor lies at I would hope not to have to deal with extra nuances. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon if the issue is related to a bug/conflict between the two.

Can you use the Advanced Restart Options in Windows to get into your UEFI? Hold Shift and click restart on the Start Menu. Then go Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware.

Ecmslee wrote:
Can you use the Advanced Restart Options in Windows to get into your UEFI? Hold Shift and click restart on the Start Menu. Then go Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware.


If I try to use the Advanced Restart Options through Windows, it will never enter the BIOS. The monitor will just cycle through on and off endlessly.

This problem is also plaguing me. I've updated the card vbios for display port (from nvidia) but the DP seems to be a dead option for me.
I partially solved using the HDMI cable, but the monitor seems to be very slow in capturing inputs.

In some monitors I see there is an option for "fast boot", is there something similari in Asus monitors?

Which GPU are you using? It could be like my issue due to using an older GPU with a new monitor.

darkcg wrote:
This problem is also plaguing me. I've updated the card vbios for display port (from nvidia) but the DP seems to be a dead option for me.
I partially solved using the HDMI cable, but the monitor seems to be very slow in capturing inputs.

In some monitors I see there is an option for "fast boot", is there something similari in Asus monitors?


I tuned fast boot off when I first noticed the issue. Fast Boot would start before the screen had a chance to initialize. The MOBO needs an active display to bypass this.

jwkuyser wrote:
Which GPU are you using? It could be like my issue due to using an older GPU with a new monitor.


I am using EVGA FTW 3090 for a GPU.