cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG258Q only reaching 200hz?

TheEliteDon
Level 7
I'm using a laptop atm while I save money to build my rig. I noticed that I would need a mini display port to display port to connect to the monitor. I contacted support though the phone and asked a representative if I would still get G-Sync and 240hz. I was told yes I would so I ordered the cable. It arrived last night and I set it up and everything sort of works. The only 2 issue is the highest hz option I have is 200hz not 240. Not sure what would going on.

This is the cable I bought on Amazon.

The other issue I noticed is a flickering issue when G sync is enabled. This mostly occurs on loading menus and in some games in-game menu. Not sure if this occurs due to fps having to be at a certain range so g sync can work. Most of the time when the flickers occur I notice the fps at 20-30 because it's a loading screen of course.
11 REPLIES 11

TheEliteDon wrote:
Just got it in. You're right. It has to be either my gpu or the mini display port to display port conversion causing the limit to be 200hz. Thanks for the help.

To correct that, The cable cannot tell your computer what it's max frame rate can be. The cable will jsut run until it can't pass anymore data resulting in flickering or image loss at a rate that is to high. The only thing telling your computer what the maximun frame rate option should be is...

1. The GPU/drivers itself
2. the Monitor hooked up says I can run at XX fps

If your monitor is native 240fps (which it is) and there is no setting telling it to run at 200. I would bet on that GPU was not enabled to run at 240hz and maxes out at 200fps. My old 660Ti's maxed out at 200 FPS if i remember correctly. any game that would hit higher than 200fps would jsut stop at 200fps. NOTE: no the 660TI did not hit 200fps in 99.9% of situations, I did not have a nuclear powered 660Ti gpu.

You can probably send Nvidia a tech support question and they will answer it right away if that is it. You could ask for them to put an updated driver that enables the 240hz for that GPU, They might be willing to "turn it on" through a driver if that gpu supports it and they just limited it because there was no reason at the time to go above 200.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
To correct that, The cable cannot tell your computer what it's max frame rate can be. The cable will jsut run until it can't pass anymore data resulting in flickering or image loss at a rate that is to high. The only thing telling your computer what the maximun frame rate option should be is...

1. The GPU/drivers itself
2. the Monitor hooked up says I can run at XX fps

If your monitor is native 240fps (which it is) and there is no setting telling it to run at 200. I would bet on that GPU was not enabled to run at 240hz and maxes out at 200fps. My old 660Ti's maxed out at 200 FPS if i remember correctly. any game that would hit higher than 200fps would jsut stop at 200fps. NOTE: no the 660TI did not hit 200fps in 99.9% of situations, I did not have a nuclear powered 660Ti gpu.

You can probably send Nvidia a tech support question and they will answer it right away if that is it. You could ask for them to put an updated driver that enables the 240hz for that GPU, They might be willing to "turn it on" through a driver if that gpu supports it and they just limited it because there was no reason at the time to go above 200.

Hello everyone,

Okay so I just contacted Asus, and they gave me the answer, apparently all Asus cards are limited to 200hz except the 1080 and 1080ti cards. You'll also see when you downlad their gpu tweaker, the hz is restricted to 200hz even if you go into the "professional mode".

I wish they would have written this somewhere so you actually could find out of this before you bought the graphics cards.

Hope this helps someone.