cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift PG258Q only reaching 200hz?

TheEliteDon
Level 7
I'm using a laptop atm while I save money to build my rig. I noticed that I would need a mini display port to display port to connect to the monitor. I contacted support though the phone and asked a representative if I would still get G-Sync and 240hz. I was told yes I would so I ordered the cable. It arrived last night and I set it up and everything sort of works. The only 2 issue is the highest hz option I have is 200hz not 240. Not sure what would going on.

This is the cable I bought on Amazon.

The other issue I noticed is a flickering issue when G sync is enabled. This mostly occurs on loading menus and in some games in-game menu. Not sure if this occurs due to fps having to be at a certain range so g sync can work. Most of the time when the flickers occur I notice the fps at 20-30 because it's a loading screen of course.
11 REPLIES 11

Crashcourse316
Level 9
So it's possible your GPU on the laptop doesn't support 240hz at that resolution. The other thing I would say is make sure the monitor is set to be at 240hz. if the monitor is only set to 200hz it will not show the option to set 240 in the OS. Those the only two reasons I can think of for 240hz not being an option in theOS.

IS the flickering issue a complete blackout screen for a second than back on? Is it a complete blackout a couple of times extremely fast? or is it looking like a signal loss flicker where you see pretty color blurs on parts of the screen really fast? When it happens does it keep happening for a while or doe it only happen one time when going into or out of loading then its fine for a while?
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
So it's possible your GPU on the laptop doesn't support 240hz at that resolution. The other thing I would say is make sure the monitor is set to be at 240hz. if the monitor is only set to 200hz it will not show the option to set 240 in the OS. Those the only two reasons I can think of for 240hz not being an option in theOS.

IS the flickering issue a complete blackout screen for a second than back on? Is it a complete blackout a couple of times extremely fast? or is it looking like a signal loss flicker where you see pretty color blurs on parts of the screen really fast? When it happens does it keep happening for a while or doe it only happen one time when going into or out of loading then its fine for a while?

How do I set the monitor to 240hz? I've searched in OSD menu and found nothing, the way to set the hz is by OS. The flickering occurs when it loading in games or just in game menus. It looks like back light is flickering then it's fine once in actual game. I know g sync only works at a certain range of fps so that might be the issue. Ex: 30-144fps

TheEliteDon wrote:
How do I set the monitor to 240hz? I've searched in OSD menu and found nothing, the way to set the hz is by OS. The flickering occurs when it loading in games or just in game menus. It looks like back light is flickering then it's fine once in actual game. I know g sync only works at a certain range of fps so that might be the issue. Ex: 30-144fps

I just looked it up. The monitor is native 240hz so there is no overclock setting. It is always 240hz. What GPU do you have?

The flicker is most likely the G-sync turning on and off. In your Nvidia settings look for a setting that turns G-sync on both in game and out of game. I have a PG279Q and I do not get the flicker. I have it set to be on all the time. Also there shouldn't be a limit on the G-sync range. the monitor just takes whatever your GPU is putting out and matches it up to 240fps.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I just looked it up. The monitor is native 240hz so there is no overclock setting. It is always 240hz. What GPU do you have?

The flicker is most likely the G-sync turning on and off. In your Nvidia settings look for a setting that turns G-sync on both in game and out of game. I have a PG279Q and I do not get the flicker. I have it set to be on all the time. Also there shouldn't be a limit on the G-sync range. the monitor just takes whatever your GPU is putting out and matches it up to 240fps.

I have a GTX 870m. Mostly play old games. I have also return the cable and I'm looking for another one that is certified. I will have to do g sync test when I get it.

TheEliteDon wrote:
I have a GTX 870m. Mostly play old games. I have also return the cable and I'm looking for another one that is certified. I will have to do g sync test when I get it.

if the one your getting now doesn't work out I just plugged this one in last night. (1440p at 165hz)
https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4k-DisplayPort-Cable-1-3-Professional/dp/B01M1LERDT/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8...
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316 wrote:
if the one your getting now doesn't work out I just plugged this one in last night. (1440p at 165hz)
https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4k-DisplayPort-Cable-1-3-Professional/dp/B01M1LERDT/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8...

My laptop has a mini display port. If not I would use the one the monitor came with. I feel that's what could be causing the issue if it isn't the cable.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Also I couldn't find what the max output frame rate from your GPU is limited to, so I can't answer for sure but that GPU may be maxed out to 200fps as the limit. You'll probably need to do some research on that.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Yea. forgot about that from your first post. Goodluck on the new cable.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Yea. forgot about that from your first post. Goodluck on the new cable.

Just got it in. You're right. It has to be either my gpu or the mini display port to display port conversion causing the limit to be 200hz. Thanks for the help.