cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my new ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q - Blurry text and bad quality overall

arnamide
Level 7
Hello guys,

I've been using my Swift monitor for like 1 week now. And my experience of the monitor is very good but, yesterday when i started my computer i saw some strange "color aura" around the text in Windows and all kinds of web browsers. First i thought it was my eyes, but i asked my girlfriend and she saw it aswell. I've been testing on other computers to see if it was my setup that was wrong. But they all have the same problem. And i realized that it only shows when im going at 2560x1440 @ 144hz. If im turning down the Hz to 100hz the effect is not that visable, but it's there. At 60Hz @ 1920x1080p the problem does not exist at all?

What can be my problem here? I've already tested different drivers etc..

I will try to put up an image on my problem but it's hard to get it on camera. It's almost needed to be seen with the eyes.

60hz @ 2560x1440

144hz @ 2560x1440
184 REPLIES 184

Astrix_au
Level 7
Got my monitor back from RMA and they fixed the horizontal lines, flickering and blurry text issue but now it won't go over 85hz it just says lost signal.

I reinstalled the Catalyst drivers with no luck tried both GPU's and they both can only go up to 85hz.

Now I'm going to have to send it back across the country. It has a brand new LCD and main board and it still has this problem.

Looks like they never tested above 60hz, it was looking promising until I tried to change the refresh rate from 60 to 120 😞
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

So I thought I should register here, because, surprise surprise, two month after my ROG Swift purchase: BAM, blurry text and flickering lines!

Now I am actually quite impressed by the way ASUS handled this (ASUS Sweden). Here's my timeline from first contact:

Friday 2015-04-17: I called ASUS support on the phone, the guy answering was very frinedly and helpful. Gave me detailed instructions on how to fill out the support form on the webpage and also told me the size restrictions for the pic of the problem.
Filled out the form the same day, and sent them a smaller version of this pic: http://arosworld.se/monitorcomp.png (sorry about the swedish)

Monday 2015-04-20: Got a reply in the mail, where they said the monitor would be replaced. Got detailed instructions on how to fill out the RMA.

Thursday 2015-04-30: Filled out and sent in the RMA (yeah, had a lot to do at work so it took me 1½ week to get this done....)

Monday 2015-05-04: Got a reply that a new monitor was on it's way out to me. They sent it via UPS, and by default to my home adress. Expected delivery date Thursday 2015-05-07. Well, I'm at work during the daytime, but UPS could not change the delivery adress until they had made one try at the adress...

Thursday 2015-05-07: UPS guy calls me on the phone, I explain that I'm not at home, and he sets the new delivery adress to my work adress.

Friday 2015-05-08: New monitor is delivered to my work, and UPS picks up the old one.

So it took only 8 days from when I had filled out the RMA until I had a new monitor on my desk, and it would have been 7 if not for me working (like I could afford a 750 euro monitor if I didn't 😄 )

I am very impressed by this, it was handled very well by ASUS. Now I just hope that this monitor works for a bit more than 2 months....

vr00mfondel wrote:

I am very impressed by this, it was handled very well by ASUS. Now I just hope that this monitor works for a bit more than 2 months....

I would have had the same great experience if what they sent me back was a working monitor. On the work order it said I got a new LCD and Main Board but I think we all know Asus use refurbished parts with RMA's and unfortunately the service centre didn't test the monitor above 60hz, the second I changed it the problem appeared it would only work up to 85hz the next day 85hz stopped working but I was packing it up anyway.

It would load into windows at 60hz and when it Windows started and it switched it to 85hz the monitor would lose signal.

It turns out it was a display port failure between the monitor and the PC but I tried numerous cables that I know worked and tried both my 290x's separately.

What should have and could have been a fast process but the ball was dropped by the third party repair centre, I sent it the next day back to them.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

I am also starting to have the same issues. Mines a July 14 build bought it in October, it has been fine until now, these issues started about a week ago and seems to be getting worse each day.

Do you use Nvidia or AMD? Mine arrived back at the repair centre today.

They fixed the horizontal lines but it had a diplayport failure and could only go up to 85hz and the next day it couldn't even do 85hz. When windows changed the refresh rate from 60 to 85hz just after windows started it lost signal. I had to force windows to start in low resolution mode just to be able to change it back to 60hz as on AMD you can't change the refresh rate from the monitor. So the next day after betting it back from the repair centre I had to send it back for this issue looks like they only tested 60hz after replacing the LCD and Main Board.

vr00mfondel wrote:
So I thought I should register here, because, surprise surprise, two month after my ROG Swift purchase: BAM, blurry text and flickering lines!

Now I am actually quite impressed by the way ASUS handled this (ASUS Sweden). Here's my timeline from first contact:

Friday 2015-04-17: I called ASUS support on the phone, the guy answering was very frinedly and helpful. Gave me detailed instructions on how to fill out the support form on the webpage and also told me the size restrictions for the pic of the problem.
Filled out the form the same day, and sent them a smaller version of this pic: http://arosworld.se/monitorcomp.png (sorry about the swedish)

Monday 2015-04-20: Got a reply in the mail, where they said the monitor would be replaced. Got detailed instructions on how to fill out the RMA.

Thursday 2015-04-30: Filled out and sent in the RMA (yeah, had a lot to do at work so it took me 1½ week to get this done....)

Monday 2015-05-04: Got a reply that a new monitor was on it's way out to me. They sent it via UPS, and by default to my home adress. Expected delivery date Thursday 2015-05-07. Well, I'm at work during the daytime, but UPS could not change the delivery adress until they had made one try at the adress...

Thursday 2015-05-07: UPS guy calls me on the phone, I explain that I'm not at home, and he sets the new delivery adress to my work adress.

Friday 2015-05-08: New monitor is delivered to my work, and UPS picks up the old one.

So it took only 8 days from when I had filled out the RMA until I had a new monitor on my desk, and it would have been 7 if not for me working (like I could afford a 750 euro monitor if I didn't 😄 )

Well. It seems the replecement I got lasted 3 months...
Now all blurry again... Yay....

No way dude.

vr00mfondel wrote:
Well. It seems the replecement I got lasted 3 months...
Now all blurry again... Yay....

Today I got my replacement, so 20 days this time.

Now I can only hope that I get to keep this one a bit longer...

I am joining queque. One would think that asus should recognise the problem and act accordingly. I used my screen for 6 months untill i had a broken adaptor. Then i had to wait for !4 months! Till i received a new one. Now i get the blurry text and 120/144 flickering problem. This is a big problem and if asus does not recognise this i will never go down that road again.

Join Queue too,

I bought this monitor in 2014/10 and everything is fine,no issues until last week

In 2016 March's first week,my pg278q start to flicker in >60hz,and text bold in the 1/3 left side on this screen

so i RMA it,but when i received my rma's monitor

It becomes that flicker is only in 120hz,and text bold in the 2/3 right side on this screen(How strange!)

Now use this monitor in 144hz and 100hz,consider to more once rma

Zworba wrote:
I am joining queque. One would think that asus should recognise the problem and act accordingly. I used my screen for 6 months untill i had a broken adaptor. Then i had to wait for !4 months! Till i received a new one. Now i get the blurry text and 120/144 flickering problem. This is a big problem and if asus does not recognise this i will never go down that road again.