cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my new ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q - Blurry text and bad quality overall

arnamide
Level 7
Hello guys,

I've been using my Swift monitor for like 1 week now. And my experience of the monitor is very good but, yesterday when i started my computer i saw some strange "color aura" around the text in Windows and all kinds of web browsers. First i thought it was my eyes, but i asked my girlfriend and she saw it aswell. I've been testing on other computers to see if it was my setup that was wrong. But they all have the same problem. And i realized that it only shows when im going at 2560x1440 @ 144hz. If im turning down the Hz to 100hz the effect is not that visable, but it's there. At 60Hz @ 1920x1080p the problem does not exist at all?

What can be my problem here? I've already tested different drivers etc..

I will try to put up an image on my problem but it's hard to get it on camera. It's almost needed to be seen with the eyes.

60hz @ 2560x1440

144hz @ 2560x1440
184 REPLIES 184

Jerry_SCOC
Level 7
just want to check in on this thread, this blurry issued happened to my PG278Q today, was functioning fine since I got it back in October. The one I had is manufactured on September 2014, serial starts with E9. Tried resetting the monitor but no help. Contacting Asus now.

Jerry_SCOC wrote:
just want to check in on this thread, this blurry issued happened to my PG278Q today, was functioning fine since I got it back in October. The one I had is manufactured on September 2014, serial starts with E9. Tried resetting the monitor but no help. Contacting Asus now.

I had almost identical situation as this, bought the monitor the same time, similar serial number, similar manufacture date. Tried everything, drivers, resetting the screen, resinstalling software, uninstalling software.

I have used the uk RMA service and after 6/7 replacements being sent I finally have one that I am happy with. I will say asus have been very good throughout.

It arrived today and am testing it on the forums now! No blurry text. Thanks asus for making a fantastic monitor.

aBhorsen
Level 7
After 2 months of working fine, this has now happened to me also. Bought in February, serial starts with E9.

Will be contacting Asus.

Baruch
Level 7
My ROG Swift arrived on Sunday (June 14th) at 15:00.
Worked fine until I finished playing The Witcher on Monday (June 15th) at 23:00 and I noticed the problem - Horizontal lines all over the monitor, messing up picture quality and making text unreadable. The only fix for me, at the moment, is turning on ULMB which eliminates the lines and will hopefully work for a few days before I can RMA it. (The shop I bought it from is almost a 3 hour ride away from me...)
The saddest part is that I ordered the monitor in February because they were out of stock in my country, so that means I've waited four months for a faulty product. Ohh, you can imagine that feeling I got when a $1200 monitor stopped working properly after a few hours of use.

Fattox
Level 7
I guess this issue is not only limited to the older "E" serial numbered models, as some in here have guessed.

I received my Swift last week, serial starting "FL4" (Manufactured: April 2015), and within a day of using it very lightly, i noticed these blurry picture/font issues. A steady heartbeat-style refresh line popping along the screen when in 144hz mode.

Whenever i have it in 60/120hz mode, the heartbeat-style bump across the refresh does not appear, but the text is still unreadable unless i use ULMB, and and still not great even then. Such a disappointment for such a premium product... at least, premium in price, anyway.

I'm going to order another and return this one straight to Amazon. If the next one has the issue, i'll forget about the Swift. I might consider an Acer Predator, but i heard far worse things about that with BLB issues. I never heard about this problem with the Swift until it happened to me. ;(

Fattox wrote:
I guess this issue is not only limited to the older "E" serial numbered models, as some in here have guessed.

I'm going to order another and return this one straight to Amazon. If the next one has the issue, i'll forget about the Swift. I might consider an Acer Predator, but i heard far worse things about that with BLB issues. I never heard about this problem with the Swift until it happened to me. ;(

I am very happy with my new Benq XL2730Z specially since I have 2x 290x's and the Swift was the only option at that time.

I wonder if this issue could be caused by the GSync unit? I never used the Gsync unit on mine maybe that is why my my Swift lasted me 7 months.

Also The swift needs a auto power off feature as it's always overclocked Benq has this. I had the firmware changed on my Benq to v002 so if your buying one of those make sure it has it, they should start selling with it in July. I could only reach 120hz on my AMD cards on the swift at least the BenQ can achieve 144hz without the screen flickering.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

Astrix_au wrote:
I am very happy with my new Benq XL2730Z specially since I have 2x 290x's and the Swift was the only option at that time.

I wonder if this issue could be caused by the GSync unit? I never used the Gsync unit on mine maybe that is why my my Swift lasted me 7 months.

Also The swift needs a auto power off feature as it's always overclocked Benq has this. I had the firmware changed on my Benq to v002 so if your buying one of those make sure it has it, they should start selling with it in July. I could only reach 120hz on my AMD cards on the swift at least the BenQ can achieve 144hz without the screen flickering.

I have seen people say that this issue is caused by the G-Sync module overheating/faulting, but i don't know how accurate that is. But yeah, you might be right.

I currently have the Asus VG278HE, which has been a nice screen for the past 3 years. Half the reason i got a Swift was to step up to 1440p, the other half was for G-Sync.

The BenQ looks nice, but without G-Sync i'm not sure it's worth me upgrading just yet. If the next screen fails, i might just end up waiting another 6 months, to see what other new products get released instead.

Fattox wrote:

The BenQ looks nice, but without G-Sync i'm not sure it's worth me upgrading just yet. If the next screen fails, i might just end up waiting another 6 months, to see what other new products get released instead.

I recommend sticking with Gsync monitor if you have Nvidia, I have AMD so i went with it, it is a great monitor though.

Possibly the new Swift should be awesome with IPS panel.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

cmd1980
Level 7
Hi Similar problem. Had horizontal lines appeared in the top right. Have RMA and now have delivered a monitor with consant blurry text. I have 2 other monitors (same model) so i can switch windows over and you can noticeably see the difference.

TwistinFool
Level 7
After three months of owning this monitor and thinking I was one of the lucky ones, I began to notice blurry text mainly on the right side of the monitor. I also experience flickering when playing games on 144Hz.

My question is, do you have to pay anything when you RMA? Is ASUS kind enough to pay for the shipping of your broken monitor and for the replacement?